Samples of Pu-erh and White tea

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by netsurfr, Oct 4, 2008.

1. netsurfr

netsurfr New Member

I have ordered a quantity of Pu-erh and White tea that will be arriving in about 5 weeks. I am offering samples for the prices as indicated below.

These prices do not include postage/handling but do include a slight markup to cover paypal costs. Let me know if you are interested.

Well, I was reviewing my spreadsheet and noticed that I had performed at least one serious miscalculation so I checked everything. Some of the prices have changed but in all but one case not terribly significantly. The one tea that changed significantly was because I performed the original calculation based on a 250g unit vice the actual weight of 100 grams.

1998 Lincang "CNNP Green Wrapper" Raw Pu-erh tea - $3.20/25g (remains the same)

2000 Long Yuan Hao Yi Wu Mountain Raw - $4.10/25g

1999 Gu Pu-er Simao Raw Pu-erh "Fang Cha" - $4.75/25g

2002 Bu Lang Mountain Raw Pu-erh tea brick - $2.40/25g

2002 Hai Lang Hao * Mengku Wild Arbor cake - $2.20/25g

2003 Jing Mai Round Cake * Tai Lian Tea Factory - $2.95/25g

2002 Jingmai Mountain Wild Arbor Raw Pu-erh Bricks - $2.50/25g

Early Spring Yunnan Silver Needles White Tea (will sell in quantity desired) - $1.50/25g

As noted above, shipping/handling would be additional and depend on your location. Naturally, this is a better buy for USA members due to the shipping costs.

2. JimR

JimR Active Member

Question--is that "Early Spring Silver Needles" Tea similar to white monkey?

3. netsurfr

netsurfr New Member

White Monkey despite its name is actually green tea. White Monkey description from Adagio tea site:

"Green tea (do not be confused by its name) that grows along the slopes of the Taimu mountains in the Fujian province of China. The young leaves and unopened buds are carefully gathered and processed exclusively by hand. The result is a tea that appears intricately woven with large and beautiful white tips. It produces a very light cup that is noticeably sweet, and infused with a fresh, delicate scent. "

4. Padron

Padron Active Member

Looks good Steve,

I am not a big tea drinker......drink a lot of coffee though :o, how many cups would a 25 gram sampler provide? 1 cup?

Is this loose leaf tea? Do you put it in one of the closed metal strainer things?

Sorry, I do not know much about it...

5. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

White monkey is good, I've had it before. 25g is almost 2oz which is enough to make about 15 cups of tea. You put a nice honking table spoon in to your tea maker for ever 6-8oz of water. Its loose leaf tea so you need to use a strainer of some sort. There are plenty of tea makers out there. I personally use a coffee press.

6. Padron

Padron Active Member

Thanks Jason,

Sounds good, we have coffee presses and the Aeropress too...

Sounds like you get a lot of tea for the money, a great way to sample them :signs002

Great offer Steve :happy088

7. JayKay

I would say its a good way. In regular retail sales silver needle usually goes for about 15$ for 2oz. I'm slightly interested as I've never tried aged teas before but Im tight on money. I've got 5 weeks to decide though. The prices are better because he ordered in bulk directly from china. I usually drink the general fresh tea but the aged variety does interest me.

8. netsurfr

netsurfr New Member

No, you will actually get quite a number of cups depending on how strong you like your tea.
    For green and white teas, I use a teaspoon of tea and will infuse it 3-5 times. I do not recommend the ball strainers; in my opinion they do not work well. You can pick up a fine mesh strainer with a little handle that will sit inside your cup for a dollar or less. After three minutes, you take the strainer out of your cup and place it in another cup. Your tea is ready to drink.
    Pu-erh tea should be rinsed twice for about twenty seconds each with your boiling water. The third cup is good to drink. You can infuse it the third time for a minute or less if desired. You should get 15 infusions or so out of the 25grams.

Cheers,
    Steve

9. netsurfr

netsurfr New Member

Just to manage any expectations, 25g is less than one ounce or more precisely 0.88 oz.

10. JayKay

It was early and I was hung over when writing the initial post with my calculations. 25g is close an ounce, as 28g are in one ounce. Most tea companies sell tea by the 2oz which generally makes about 15-20 cups depending on what your drinking and how strong you make it.

11. netsurfr

netsurfr New Member

I am only advertising this on the three shaving fora that I belong to and the response is very encouraging. I'm glad that I could provide this service for the forum members.

12. netsurfr

netsurfr New Member

13. netsurfr

netsurfr New Member

For those that have not tried raw puerh tea before, the infusion process is somewhat different than other teas. Here is a method that I have borrowed from Yunnan Sourcing site that works well for me:

"Pu-erh tea brewing is not so different from oolong teas. You want the water as hot as possible when you pour it into the pot. If you are going to use yixing, I would dedicate one pot for ripe pu-erh and another for raw. Up to you.

With pu-erhs I typically wash the leaves twice for period of about 20 seconds each time. The third infusion is to be drank. The first two infusions wash the leaves and prime them, use the tea water to wash the cups. The third and fourth infusions don't require long infusions times at all (20 seconds or less).

Pay attention to the taste and the infused liquor of the tea through succesive infusions, as the leaves "give it up" you will want to extend infusion times to get more out of the leaves. Most Pu-erhs can be infused anywhere between 10 and 20 times.

When prying leaves from a cake or brick, try to remove layer by layer and avoid breaking the tea leaves too much, broken up leaves when brewed will become bitter.

Another factor worth mentioning that will affect the outcome of your brew is how much tea you decide to use. Although many people measure weight (tea) versus volume (water), I prefer an intuitive approach, filling the the tea pot to about a quarter of its volume with leaves. Notice how tightly compressed Pu-erhs will expand more when infused than those that are less tightly compressed. Pay attention to the gradual expansion of the leaves and the flavor that comes out of them.

Try “tweaking” the different variables I’ve mentioned and pay attention to the result, this is part of the enjoyment of discovering Pu-erh!"

Enjoy,
    Steve

14. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

What is the shelf life of these teas?

15. netsurfr

netsurfr New Member

Hi James -
    Green and White tea is really at it's top in flavor during the first year. After that, it begins to degrade. Most folks try to keep this type of tea under a year in their stock.
    Puerh tea on the other hand gets better with age. In a way, this type of tea might be compared to red wine. The flavor gets more complex with age. Some of the best puerh is decades old... if you can find it... and if you can afford it when you find it!

16. netsurfr

netsurfr New Member

17. netsurfr

netsurfr New Member

Well, I was reviewing my spreadsheet and noticed that I had performed at least one serious miscalculation so I checked everything. Some of the prices have changed but in all but one case not terribly significantly. The one tea that changed significantly was because I performed the original calculation based on a 250g unit vice the actual weight of 100 grams.

1998 Lincang "CNNP Green Wrapper" Raw Pu-erh tea - $3.20/25g (remains the same)

2000 Long Yuan Hao Yi Wu Mountain Raw - $3.50/25g - increase to $4.10/25g

1999 Gu Pu-er Simao Raw Pu-erh "Fang Cha" - $1.30/25g - major mistake: $4.75/25g

2002 Bu Lang Mountain Raw Pu-erh tea brick - $2.30/25g - slight increase to $2.40/25g

2002 Hai Lang Hao * Mengku Wild Arbor cake - $2.15/25g - slight increase to $2.20/25g

2003 Jing Mai Round Cake * Tai Lian Tea Factory - $2.90/25g - slight increase to $2.95/25g

2002 Jingmai Mountain Wild Arbor Raw Pu-erh Bricks - $2.30/25g - slight increase to $2.50/25g

Early Spring Yunnan Silver Needles White Tea (will sell in quantity desired) - $1.50/25g (no change)

As noted previously, shipping/handling would be additional and depend on your location. Naturally, this is a better buy for USA members due to the shipping costs.

Apologies for any inconvenience. These price changes are already reflected in the first post.

18. JayKay

Teas good. Vote for me in the avatar contest!

19. netsurfr

netsurfr New Member

UPDATE: The following tea is sold out:
    2002 Hai Lang Hao Mengku Wild Arbor cake

Hurry and get your samples of the remaining teas!

20. netsurfr

netsurfr New Member