Recommendations on a Timeless Razor blade gap.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Spud, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Hello everyone.
    I have cut down a lot on my purchases but I have been putting some cash aside to purchase a Timeless razor. I just like the look of the grooved cap and I am always up for another razor. I have to save up; these things are expensive.
    I was hoping someone could give me a comparison on the blade gaps: 0.95 vs 0.68 mm.
    Generally I don't like too aggressive. Any thoughts? Thanks.

RaZorBurn123 and Douglas Carey like this.
  2. Nate.H01

Nate.H01 Member

Been having exactly the same thought myself. I'm not a big fan of aggressive razors either as I tend to shave most days so I really don't need it. I've been thinking about the 0.68 as the ATT H1 has a blade gap of 0.91 so having a 0.95 blade would be overkill. I realise that they're different razors with different geometry but the blades are the same size. Not very scientific I know, my apologies but that could just be me.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Spud likes this.
  3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I think it is a great looking razor, but I haven't used one, so take it for what it is worth. In the past, I used to think that I had to have an aggressive razor to get a good shave. Turns out my technique just sucked. It took a some time, but now I am able to pull stellar 2 pass shaves from a mild razor with no irritation. I think you would be able to learn and use either version with great results, but in the long run the mild version would serve you better. Once again, just my thought as I have no hands on with these specific razors. Good luck.

Spud likes this.
  4. matt.braley.104

matt.braley.104 Active Member

I have the .95 gap timeless open comb it's my second safety razor my first was a cheap wowe razor pos but anyway I have really sensitive skin and my timeless to me is the perfect shave I don't shave every day probably every 3 or so and I shave atg on the third pass with the right shaving cream I don't get a single nick or any irritation

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spud likes this.
  5. Slant Fan

Slant Fan Member

I have a .68 scalloped SB, and a .95 OC. I prefer the .95 because of the blade feel, aggressiveness. I've been shaving for over 50 years, and that may have something to do with my not getting nicks, cuts, or irritation. The .68 SB is great too, and I get the same BBS results, but it is not as intuitive. There is no 'blade feel' AFAIC. I have to work for it a little harder in finding the sweet spot. With the .95 it is right there.

If you have access to an adjustable, like a Gillette Fatboy, or a Slim, check out a blade gap comparison chart. That is what I did after buying the .68 and thinking about the .95. IIRC .95 is between 6-7 on a Fatboy. So I shaved with one (first time in years) and felt that the gap would be okay and it is .......... for me. Actually Timeless offers a 14 day return, or maybe it is 30 ........ if you want the other gap. So you can't go wrong.

Herm2502 and Spud like this.
  6. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Update: I have a .68 mm coming in the mail. I went with the shorter dimpled handle and the scalloped bar and cap, polished.

I know I will likely prefer the milder gap. I was reassured if it was too mild, I could exchange it for a .95mm. I will likely order the .95 mm eventually anyway.

TitanTTB, clint64 and Slant Fan like this.
  7. I have the .68 scalloped plate. It is mild yet efficient. I shave daily due to being in the military. I think u will be happy with your purchase. However i just picked up the .95 gap. Want something more aggressive. BTW timeless customer service is great. If you are not happy they will exchange or give you a refund inside 30 days. Enjoy!

Spud likes this.
  8. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Congrats on the incoming razor, let us know how you like it after you take it for a spin.

Spud likes this.
  9. Just received the .95 scalloped plate and had my 1st shave. All i can say is wow. Very comfortable and efficient, wish i started out with it. Not to speak bad on the .68, may be a bit too mild for my liking is all. I think you will like the .95 if you order it

Spud likes this.
  10. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info! I think I will try the .68 mm and if it's way off the mark, I will send it back for a 0.95mm. If it's close, I will likely order a .95 in the future and keep both.
    Have you ever used a Merkur 34 C? If so how does it compare to the Timeless blade gaps? I'm awaiting this razor, wish it would come!

clint64 likes this.
  11. Ive owned the 34c and still have my 37c slant. The 34c and .68 are pretty close as aggressivness goes. .95 is as efficient as the 37c just not as harsh IMOP. Im very pleased with the .68 as a daily shaver. Almost no razor burn come friday as i shave mon-fri. You will just have to see for yourself is all.

clint64 and Spud like this.
  12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Hi @Spud. You may want to go with the 0.68. Just to be safe. Good to see you back. :happy088: I'm using the Goodwill you sent me this week. Thanks again.

Spud and Boojum1 like this.
  13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have the .68 cap, it's awesome! The Timeless Razor is a work of art.

Spud likes this.
  14. Indeed works of art

Spud and Douglas Carey like this.
  15. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Thanks Douglas, and you are most welcome! I think the .68 was a safe bet. I'll give it a try and take it from there. And thanks to everyone for their input and advice.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  16. AnakinsLegs

AnakinsLegs New Member

I purchased the .95 originally and sent it back to exchange for the .68 scalloped. I later bought the .68 OC. I have to say that the .68 OC is the perfect razor for me. Very efficient, good level of blade feel while not irritating.

I love both Timeless heads I have but the OC is my daily shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zed117, Douglas Carey and Spud like this.
  17. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Did you find a significant difference between the 0.68 scalloped and open comb?

Douglas Carey likes this.
  18. AnakinsLegs

AnakinsLegs New Member

Nothing like the .95 to .68 but certainly a noticeable difference. I had a few spots that I couldn't get full BBS pre OC. With OC I get closer to BBS on the first pass than I did with the scalloped and full BBS on 2.5 pass.

I also liked the additional blade feel of the OC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spud likes this.
  19. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

It finally came. Can't wait to try it out.

Attached Files:

clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  20. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

It's a beauty @Spud. Good choice on the Dimpled Handle. I really like mine. :happy088: There is one downside though, this razor will spoil you, and you won't want to use other razors. :)

Spud likes this.