Apache Strata

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by oscar11, Oct 17, 2014.

1. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I always finish my razors on apache strata(it's my only finish stone). I cannot describe any differences, because this is the stone I've learned with (ty holyrollah).
    But I can say that I'm very happy with the edges it produces. I hone til I'm happy at the Norton 8k(shavable but a bit harsh), then smooth things out with the apache.

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Glad to see your still enjoying that palm-sized AS, David! :happy088:
    (The particular hone David describes is pictured in post#18 of this thread.)

3. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

Of you guys who own both an Apache Strata (or Gila) and a black/surgical/translucent Arkansas stone(s), do you have a preference, and do you think that they duplicate each other? I personally use an Apache Red in my honing progressions more often than I use my Apache Strata. No real reason, other than I am so accustomed to using an Arkie as the last stone(s) before stropping and shaving.

Karl G, Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  4. sbogill

sbogill Well-Known Member

I had an apache strata. I liked it but I didn't love it.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl G, Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  5. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  6. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Thank Kevin for revisiting this post.

I currently have a Chosera 1K, a Naniwa 3k/8k, a Norton 4k/8k and a Naniwa 12k. I have been wanting to make the jump to natural stones as the razors I sent to @gssixgun gun were finished on natural stones and the edges were sooooo buttery smooth. Mine are nearly as sharp, but nowhere near as soft and smooth feeling.

I currently have 3 "Lake" stones. One unknown (most likely a Yellow Lake) and boxed Yellow Lake and a Salmens. Lastly, I have a very thin Charnly Forrest. I really think I wanna give the Apache a go after hearing all the positive affirmations on it. I want to eventually try a Japanese as well, but admittedly, I get lost and confused on "what" jnat or jnat + nagura does "what"

twhite, Karl G, Beadog and 1 other person like this.
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I've been wanting to try an arky black. I've no other stone to finish, but my strata. So i can't say if it's easier, faster, worse than anything else. It's all I've used. I can say i like my edges, they're not fast, but they shave me nicely.
    I can't say your doing wrong, so why not a apache strata, i don't think you find one with a cooler name.

DaltonGang, Karl G and Beadog like this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The edges I get off the Naniwa 12k (following an all-synthetic progression) are mirror-bright and stunningly-sharp. I've had many shaves off these 12k edges and find them leaving me with BBS results.
    When I do take one of these 12k-finished razors and give them additional laps on a natural (such as the Apache Strata), the edges are still keen, but have a certain 'smoothness on the face' to them that I've learned to appreciate.
    Jnats can a real rabbit hole. Quality natural finishers do have a hefty price tag and finding a quality one outside a reliable vendor can be a crap shoot.
    I've learned there are no miracle stones or quick fixes in achieving a decent and comfortable edge with regularity.
    I like to think its often best to learn to master the average-priced stone and achieve desired results than to be a perpetual novice with pricey JNats and the latest 'hone of the month' and simply struggle.

9. sbogill

I second your commentary on the Naniwa 12k. It was my favorite synth finisher I ever had. Around the same time I also had a Shapton Pro 15k and it didn't finish as well as the Naniwa. In regard to your last comment about the "hone of the month" though I would just say that some of us like honing on a lot of different types, brands, and varieties of stones. I buy, sell, and trade hones all the time just to get to experience something new. It's exciting for me to try a new hone that I never honed on before. If it was possible for me to have one of every kind of hone out there then that would be ok with me.

twhite and HolyRollah like this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

As do I.
    My comments were more directed towards some one relatively new to honing and collecting a variety without achieving some level of success on a more basic level...i.e. Setting a proper bevel and sharpening the edge through stages. Too many fall in love with the finishers and really should be more concerned about success in the early stages of honing.

11. sbogill

I'm really into my oilstone progression right now. I just added a new low end refiner into the mix. It's a vintage Norton Queer Creek stone. It hasn't arrived yet but I can't wait to see where it fits into the progression. From what I read it should come after the bevel setter and before my soft Arkansas. Maybe it will cut down on the amount of time I have to refine on my soft Arkansas. I definitely hear what you are saying about paying attention to the early stages. I love my low end refiners and mid rangers.

HolyRollah likes this.
  12. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Well said Kevin and thanks for saving me a run down the expensive rabbit hole (Thanks from SWMBO as well)

I have done 10 or so partial to full edge restores and about the same number of honings so I am definitely still in the noobe/apprentice level. I will work an getting many more consistent edges before I start rabbit hunting

HolyRollah likes this.
  13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I do think the apache stratas ARE a real bargain if one is looking to achieve a refined jnat-like finish without breaking the bank ($65 & up) or having to delve into expensive hard-to-master stones.

14. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I agree, totally. Learn with what you have on hand. If you master that, then you move onto another, then master that. Etc. Etc. Etc.
    I've one set of Welsh Slate Stones and a Surgical Black Arkie. No rabbit hole for me, and I've successfully honed about 70+.

15. sbogill

I don't consider it a rabbit hole I consider it a honey hole. Hah hah hah...

DaltonGang likes this.
  16. DaltonGang

I need a better bevel setter too. It's about the only thing, hones that is, that I really desire. The King 1k is just a little slow, even with a DMT slurry.

17. sbogill

You could try a King 800. That might be about the equivalent of some other brands 1k.

I use a King Deluxe 1k in my waterstone progression. I think it is a worthy stone. If my bevel is too rough for the King to handle I can always drop back to my 1k diamond plate then go to the King stone after.

DaltonGang likes this.
  18. DaltonGang

Thanks. I will look into the King 800

19. sbogill

23 bones on amazon. Where can ya beat it?!
    [​IMG]

20. DaltonGang

The King K-35 is around $11 on eBay. It's not as big.