If you could only keep one safety razor. What one would it be??

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bill G, May 12, 2017.

1. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

IMG_5058.JPG

I have collected quite a few safety razors over the years without listing them all.

My question is,

If you guys could only keep one of your razors what one would it be?. Criteria for this question being it gives you consistently the best shaves over all out of all your razors.

For me it would be my Mergress standard or short handle razor. It just plain out gives me the best shaves consistently out of all my razors.

Added- Being able to adjust the aggressiveness milder on my neck for the second and clean up pass. This is one of the main reasons the Mergress razor performs so great for me (BBS comfy shaves). Also it is a very smooth and balanced razor.

Happy Shaves All,
    Bill G

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  2. Sqeno

Sqeno New Member

Hey mate! Still yet to try a mergress. Or an adjustable for that matter! I have a Rockwell model T on the way so that may be the one. But as of this moment it's the Above The Tie M2 that I have. I absolutely love open comb especially when it comes to knocking down a few days growth. It feels mild on the Dave but ridiculously efficient. Like almost on the r41 level. My feather ASD2 is up there as well.
    Have some splendid shaves mate,
    Spencer

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

3. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Mine would be my Rockwell 6s.
    Plate 4. I get a bbs every shave no razor burn. No weepers.
    I have over 25 razors vintage and modern. You would have to pry it out of my Cold dead hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I can't answer based on your criteria.

5. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Well, I'm gonna go then! And I don't need any of this. I don't need this stuff.

Except this Rockwell 6S...
    and this ashtray,
    and this remote control,
    and this magazine,
    ... and this thermos...
    ... and this chair ...
    ... and this Gillette Tech ...
    ... and this tub of Kraken...
    ... and this tub of Cella...
    ... and this Maggard 24mm Synthetic brush...
    ... and this shave towel...

That's all I need ....

6. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

You"Jerk". Steve is that you?

Herm

7. jar

jar Well-Known Member

I'd lie and hide the others on a top shelf behind the Christmas only bath towels.

Spud, Herm2502, AGHisBBS and 5 others like this.
  8. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

If you twisted my arm, and held a knife to my throat, I guess I would have to choose my Weber Polished Head. I can get great shaves from nearly all my razors, but I consider the Weber to be my benchmark.

9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

It really doesn't matter. I can get a consistently good shave with just about any of my razors.

If I was forced to downsize to just one, any of them would work well.

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That is a very good answer.

But to play along I will say my GEM Jr. 1912 from a G3 set. It's part of my signature shave.

11. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0097.JPG
    'Nuff said

Bird Lives, brit, dapper636 and 15 others like this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I used to be able to pick but my Final razor always changed from one to another, so I'm not sure I could pick one. Too many factors to consider. I'm down to about 1/2 dozen Keepers, though.

But given your condition of consistently good shaves, it's a two-way tie between the Schick E2 (depending on the blade) and the Clix EZ Flo. Since I've stopped buying razors I don't expect that will ever change.

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Call me a Fanboi, but I like my Gillette #195. As I've developed technique ala @PanChango, I get better shaves from all my razors. The Fat Boy just feels right.
    It's been pegged at setting number nine for months. See what I think when the Futur clone arrives.

Herm2502, AGHisBBS, twhite and 8 others like this.
  14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I really wish I could pick one, but my tastes have changed many times over time. Most of the time it is just out of boredom that I use something else. After a week of using one, things are dialed in... Recently it has been the Tech. I consistently get 13 hour shaves from them with a favorable blade. In the past I have said the same thing about the Old Type, LC New, New Improved, New Deluxe, Barbasol Floating Head, and Gem OCMM. There may be others, but I am not remembering well right now.

15. spot705

spot705 Active Member

It is not my birth year razor, (N3 short handle Super Adjustable)
    It is not my oldest razor, (a beautiful '46-'47 Aristocrat.)
    It is not my "most expensive" razor. (paid a fortune for a NIB gold Toggle.)
    For me it would be one specific Slim Adjustable.
    I have other Slims which are in much better condition than this one.
    It has wear and scratches, a little plating loss, it is not as shiny as the others.
    This one I will never part with, to anyone, at any price, ever.
    It was my Father's razor.

16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It would have to be my Bunny V3. Then my Gillette Sheraton. Oh, and my Gem Jr. lather catcher. Wait a minute. I just realized, I cannot get by with just one.

17. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

ATT R2 Atlas. Ask me when I have something newer (to me at least) and I might say something else. But right now it's the ATT.

Keithmax, Bill G and Terry Williams like this.
  18. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

My first choice will always be my R41 from 2011.

Then there is the obsidian blade...

19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Same here. I've said the Pal Adjustable, Rolls (still my Desert Island razor just for practicality), President (still my top S.S.), aluminum STAR, the Ranger Tech (several times over), Damaskene, the 1914, G-Bar, the 109, bar handle New, late '40s S.S., TV Special and others. They're all excellent.

20. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Out of many vintage (25) darn great razors it would have to be my 06 Single Ring the one that I use in my regular rotation. I just really like the old types.