If you could only keep one safety razor. What one would it be??

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bill G, May 12, 2017.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I can get BBS shaves from any razor I own, depending on the blade being used. All of my adjustables work with any blade, but I'd have to go with the Fatboy because of it's size and weight. And also being capable of going from mild to very aggressive, depending on my beard growth.

RyX, AGHisBBS, crackstar and 3 others like this.
  2. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

cant choose 1, but instead I'll choose these favorites of mine:

- Rockwell 6s
    - Supply Provision 3 plates
    - Razorock Wunderbar
    - Razorock SS Hawk
    - MMOC

3. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

My #1 highest vote is the Colonial Razors "The General" Aluminum head SE with iKon Bulldog handle

4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Me too, 2011 R41 based on quality of shave.

crackstar and Bill G like this.
  5. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

(QUOTE) from another posting in this thread,
    You don't need to get the mergress you can get a progress or a Parker variant. A mergress is just an overpriced progress with a custom tto knob.

All I got to say is,

Oh but the polished S/S knob adds to the looks and the balance of the razor. Plus the extra weight it adds to the Mergress razor is so nice. Also the numbers are calibrated better with the Mergress upgrade. Is all this worth the extra cost? for me it was. With that said the shaves should be pretty much spot on the same between the Progress and the Mergress razors.

Bill G

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  6. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

I have an 06 SR on the way. Never used an OT.

7. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I have 3 razors. ATT M2, Wolfman OC, and Blackbird SB. I would be happy with any of these as my only razor. If I had to pick one, it would probably be the Blackbird because it's the most versatile, although I probably use my Wolfman the most. I can get an acceptable one pass shave with it when I'm in a hurry and I can get a close 2 pass shave on a daily basis. It also does well with multiple days growth.

8. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

There will be a learning curve. Be patient and really concentrate on your technique and most of all use a light touch. Also for me the old types are blade specific. A very nimble razor that will reward you with a great "old time" shave.

9. Shave Monkey

Shave Monkey Well-Known Member

Tough one to answer for sure, but it would certainly be an adjustable. I'd have to say my Gillette Slim.

10. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Wow... tough question... right now, I'd go with the Fatboy. There's definitely something about it that edges out even the Slim.

RyX, AGHisBBS, crackstar and 2 others like this.
  11. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

It would be my Bunny V2 razor. Guaranteed perfect shave no matter the growth. It needs to be paired with the Chick blade.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spud, Keithmax, Jorvaljr and 5 others like this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It changes the balance of the razor for sure, whether that's help or hindrance depends entirely on how you prefer to grip the razor. I have no issues with the standard Progress. I don't understand calibration being an issue unless you have more than one Progress.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Jorvaljr and Bill G like this.
  13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Since I received my 1950's Super Speed I've been in love with it. No other DE does it for me like that one.

14. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Nor do I have any with the standard Progress. Just stated the differences for the increased cost of the Mergress. I found those differences to be worth the cost for me. Also much prefer the look of the upgraded knob and feel. It adds something over all to an all ready great razor.

Happy Shaves,
    Bill G

15. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I like all my razors, I change favorites all the time, right now it's my Razorock Mentor.

Spud and Bill G like this.
  16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

9 to your son, huh? :happy102: Shoulda saved one for yourself. :happy097:

Keithmax, Jorvaljr and MR41 like this.
  17. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

If a guy were to go by the assessment of some people on forums every razor in existence that isn't a vintage from a flea market, or an Indian EJ clone is overpriced.

I think the Mergress is not only a sexy razor, but one that someone has taken the time to tune up, swap pieces and add new paint. Excellent choice.

18. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

For me, it would be the Supply Provision SE.

Bill G likes this.
  19. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Good point Brother and I agree...

Happy Shaves,
    Bill G

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    PickledNorthern likes this.
  20. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

True. A lot of dudes feel that way.

Keithmax and Bill G like this.