If you could only keep one safety razor. What one would it be??

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bill G, May 12, 2017.

1. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

I totally agree...

Happy Shaves,
    Bill G

Puma likes this.
  2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Schick G1 injector.

dscaver, Bill G and RyX like this.
  3. BlizzardShaver

BlizzardShaver New Member

IMG_1688.jpg My Gillette super speed date code N4

Enrico, brit, Spud and 6 others like this.
  4. Beardbgone

Beardbgone Active Member

RyX and RetLEO-07 like this.
  5. Beardbgone

Beardbgone Active Member

My initial pick was a Gillette NEW SC. But I spent more on it, my nod goes to the Wolfman.
    Same awesome shave; just one is 10 times the price if the other.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Bill G likes this.
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

This may be true. But after the initial cost of the progress, then add the fifty or so bucks on top, plus shipping both ways. It may be over a hundred bucks. While fine for some, maybe a little much for some people, especially young fathers or older folks living on a fixed income. I'm not condemning, but i can see where some may not see a fancy knob and a tuneup a wise choice for the money.
    Others may see it as essential. I'm happy if they are.

Spud, RyX and PickledNorthern like this.
  7. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I should have:)
    I can't believe I didn't catch that

Keithmax likes this.
  8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Not calling anyone out. One of the only three safety razors I still own (that isn't up for sale) is a Schick E2 I paid about $10 for. The other two, a Supply and a Colonial General were both comfortably under $100.

I guess I was kind of just sticking up for a guy's pick of a favorite, regardless of the reason. I have paid STUPID amounts of money for things that just caught me under their "shiny object" spell. And they were invariably my favorite for a time. Some still are.

Spud, Keithmax, Bill G and 2 others like this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Plus the paint and calibration take a few minutes and no particular skill. But yeah the knob is worth whatever somebody thinks it is. I'm fortunate I like the plastic knob just fine with the old gold Progress. But hey I've spent crazy money on my cars and audio equipment I couldn't possibly justify.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    Spud, Bill G, Jorvaljr and 1 other person like this.
  10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Thanks. $5 at the fleamarket. My first find in the wild.

Beardbgone and RyX like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Having tried a V3 in The West Coast Pass Around, and my V3.1 ( my designation for my slightly slimmer handled V3 - Thank you Tom! ;)) you prefer the V2? Is it the handle? Or something else? Were there other design changes between V2 & V3?

Bill G and Jorvaljr like this.
  12. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

They are exactly the same, other than the handle. I do not have a functioning V-3. I gave them all away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bill G, RyX, Jorvaljr and 1 other person like this.
  13. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

But a mergress isn't a progress clone.. it's literally a progress that has had the knob replaced and tuned up. I can't get a fatboy and recoat it and call it the " shavenator " and pass it off as new and charge $150 for it. lol it's still a Gillette fatboy . The mergress is getting credit for the shave the progress gave.. lol it's a little deceiving to those who don't know what a mergress truly is.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  14. My one razor, at this point, is my 1964 Gillette Slim. It bumped my much loved Feather AS-D2 to 2nd place within the first 2-3 shaves.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

15. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Well them j slims are special. What quarter?

BayouFlyFisher likes this.
  16. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

I can relate. I have two News and they shave well, but my ATT shaves at least as well and the quality of the metal, and the precise way everything screws together. The way it looks and feels. The finish that is achieved without any paint or plating. I love that razor and I do not think it was overpriced at all. Even though I didn't, I now know I would have paid the full price for it.

Bill G and Beardbgone like this.
  17. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

My Dad's Gillette Executive...for sentimental reasons. For daily use...my Fendrihan closed comb DE.

18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

All of mine give great shaves, but if I threw in the category of ease of replaceability, I go with my my simple Flare. Tough as a tank, can be found everywhere, shaves me great, and dirt cheap. What's not to like? :happy036:

That said Techs are amazing! :bounce015:

Bill G and twhite like this.
  19. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

I tend to disagree with part of your thinking.

Every review I have read to date on the Mergress a lot of the guys have mentioned that the standard Merkur Progress has the same head and function and will give the same quality of shaves (no deception that I have seen). Most have said they just like the look of the improved knob and felt it added some weight and balance to the razor over the Progress. Also some have mentioned the numbers tend to line up more accurate on the Mergress due to the knob calibration.

At the end of the day if you want a stainless knob and like the look it cost to make it and it cost to send the razor in to have it done, nothing is free. I purchased mine from BullGoose Shaving the cost $125.00. The Progress was around $75.00 that's the way it is.

I would hope if guys are spending $50.00 or upwards of a $100.00 or more on any razor they would have researched it a little. I think most all that have purchased a Mergress razor know the differences and the things that are the same between the Mergress and the Progress razor, I know I did. I spent time and did my research when I got interested in a Mergress and there was no deception in my decision to by one.

Happy Shaves,
    Bill G

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  20. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

My ATT S-1 is a fine shaver as well. The ATT brand razors are another expensive razor out there to a lot of folks. A guy is paying for quality at this price range and that is what he will get with ATT. I do have other razors that will shave as well as my ATT S-1 but few of the quality of the ATT.

Happy Shaves,
    Bill G

Spud and Puma like this.