Glass Bottles for Cologne

Discussion in 'Scents' started by ninjack, May 18, 2017.

1. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

I was at a store that sold the small cobalt blue glass bottles with the pump spray lid on them, so I picked up a 4 oz. version to take home and put my British Sterling splash on cologne in and try. Every time I go to put the British Sterling cologne on I get too much out of the bottle, so I figured putting it into a bottle with a pump spray mechanism would be better for me. I'm glad to say it works very well. I get the perfect amount every time, but I also noticed that the cologne has a slightly different scent now. Before it had a strong alcohol smell to it, but now its in the spray bottle, I don't notice the alcohol like before. In fact I can detect a powdery scent to it after applying it I didn't notice before. Don't know if it's because I always got so much pouring out into my hand that the alcohol smell was overpowering, or if it has to do with the pump mechanism squirting the cologne out in a fine mist. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by the way the cologne smells when coming from the sprayer. Has anyone else found anything like this before. I have heard of decanting, but don't think this is the same thing going from one glass bottle to another instead of a plastic bottle to a glass bottle (like with Clubman). Maybe my nose and mind are playing tricks on me. I am planning on getting another bottle to put my Truefitt and Hill Grafton after shave splash into to see if it changes the scent of it at all. I love the smell of the Grafton shave cream and after shave balm, but the after shave splash is a little strong and alcoholish to my nose. With the British Sterling cologne, a little goes a long way, so the pump feature is nice to have.
    blue bottle.jpg

Tiredricefarmer and RyX like this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I've done it for several of mine. I designate that they were atomized in muy sotd thread posts.
    I haven't noticed a change in scent, but have found a more even application.

ninjack likes this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Quicker evaporation may be why you are picking up, what I would guess to be, more pronounced middle notes.

ninjack likes this.
  4. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

That's probably it. When I would pour it out of the British Sterling bottle, the hole was so big a lot would come rushing out so more alcohol at once. I like the spray bottle, much easier to apply it. May try and put the BS after shave splash in a spray bottle to and see how it comes out. I've seen some Youtubers spray their after shave on instead of pour it into their hands and apply it. I love the British Sterling cologne and after shave, but they are pretty strong when pouring out of the bottle into my hand to apply.