Preaching the Good Word of DE

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by ktulu64, Oct 11, 2008.

1. ktulu64

ktulu64 New Member

This might have been asked before, but now that you have found DEs (and/or straights), do you find yourself trying to convert friends and family?

2. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Carefully and slowly.

3. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Nah. I talked to one guy about it and he started telling me about how to make cartridges last longer by blow-drying them after each use.

We ARE nuts...no since advertising it. :whacky011

4. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I agree with Michael. EVERYBODY knows what's best for them -- no use casting your pearls among swine. ;)

5. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

I've managed to convert 4 mates to d/e shaving.They love it.:D Now if they convert 4 mates aswell;);)

6. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Great, that's all I need. More competition when trying to buy razors for my collection. :mad:

;)

7. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Well, at least you don't have to worry about me. :)

8. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

And for that, I thank you, good sir! :1respect

9. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Yep, I don't proselytize and I rarely visit ebay. You're welcome!

10. sehrgut

sehrgut New Member

I converted a guy in the drugstore a couple of days ago. He was looking for a "value pack" of the latest Gillette monstrosities, so I struck up a conversation about how I don't have to use those any more, don't get razor burn, etc., etc. He left without razors, going to find his dad's shaving kit . . .

"Man, you give me an idea!"

11. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Me either! People don't listen for sh*t anymore these days anyway. I reiterate, don't cast pearls among the swine.

12. xChris

xChris Member

My only success has been my wife. I've tried with a few co-workers, but so far none have taken it up.

13. ktulu64

ktulu64 New Member

I have given my brother and father a shave set each. My father apparently wasn't impressed with the shave he got with the DE, but he was quite impressed with the lather he could get from a quality shave soap. Haven't heard much from my brother, but he seemed to be growing a beard the last time I was home.

However, it did occur to me that I have been proselytizing among the friends and family. After a decade of looking for every excuse imaginable to avoid shaving, it has been a revelation to discover that a shave could be comfortable or even enjoyable. My dad probably wishes I had discovered this in high school - it would not have been a fight to get me to shave more than once or twice a week.

Not to worry, neither the friends nor the family will be snatching up those razors or in competition on the bay...I am the only one with RAD, and it is mostly under control. Now the SBAD, that is another story.

14. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

I've managed to persuade my Dad. He uses a Merkur HD. He's not doing a fantastic job with it, (probably because he takes short cuts). A work colleague has recently ordered a Parker 89 after trying my old cheap Wilkinson Sword DE.
    My father in law didn't like his DE razor. He is of the unfortunate opinion that the more blades it has the better. Good news for me though because I acquired that old razor which turned out to be a 1964 Gillette Slim adjustable.
    Further good news, after a lot of office conversation re shaving, another colleague gave me a Gillette English Tech which I believe is WW2 era. Its not got serial numbers neither is it twist to open.
    I think I may prefer the tech to the slim.

15. Padron

Padron Active Member

I've converted my brother, brother in law, a couple good friends and my nephews to wet shaving so far.....they use DE's. I helped them out with the gear to try so they really had nothing to loose :)

Oh yea,........ my wife sometimes uses a Ladies Blue Star gillette and has a AOS ladies brush and the AOS rose cream ;)

16. Hiya,

My son took to DE shaving right away, and has been using the razor, soap and brush for almost a year now. Smart boy!

I've also gotten a few people at work to use a brush and soaps/creams regularly. They both still use a cartridge, and really like the difference a brush makes. Hehe, they both like having all those wonderful scents to use, and there's no shortage of things to try. Hehe, I'll usually share some of whatever I'll have recently picked up, which makes me a good guy to know..........

Martin

17. ateace

ateace Member

I'm not a preachy kind of guy. The only time I've discussed it was when the husband in one of our double date couples mentioned how much he likes the Fusion (as if it were revolutionary) and how he can get a month's worth of shaves from one cartridge. His wife apologetically said that he often tries to convert others to his way of doing things. My reply was that I stopped at two blades and then went to DE after the cartridges got to be too expensive for me. I then explained how I can get four times more shaves from a supply of blades for a quarter of the price of his Fusion cartridges.

18. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Ive had some luck in the past but now I only offer advice when asked for it.

19. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Absolutely!! Im up to 20+ converts and still going :D

One very comforting thing is that of all I have converted.. NO ONE has regressed back to multiblades.. I think were on to something here :eek:

20. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Wow! 20?? :eek: AND no regression?

:happy096 Thomas!