What are some of the best deals of shaving items you've gotten?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by tazorac, May 21, 2017.

1. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

I recently just bought store brand razor blades (possibly DORCO) for $0.45 cents for a pack of 5..needless to stay I bought the remaining 4.

Nivea for Men Post Shave Balm for 1.99 from a bargain outlet in my city and picked up 5.

crackstar, RyX and Keithmax like this.
  2. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

Recently found this SOC brush at our local bargain outlet for 50 cents. Lady said it was so cheap because no one used them anymore. I agreed and bought it and left.

DSCN0257[1] (1024x768).jpg

Dave

3. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

Have you used it yet? whats the quality like? Looks a little flimsy Dave.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  4. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Who cares. Looks like a nice handle for a better knot!!!

crackstar and mrchick like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    You must have gotten the last one. I drove down there to no avail. Good find though.

crackstar likes this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    It's an SOC Boar. Unused, the bristles appear meager, but they're not.

crackstar likes this.
  7. dkeester

dkeester Well-Known Member

I have an SOC boar just like that one. It is a great brush, my favorite boar.

My best score to date was getting a G1 Fatboy and a G2 Fatboy for $5 US each at a local antique store.

crackstar and RyX like this.
  8. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

too many to list - but then, I've been haunting antique and bargain stores for a long time.

lots of razors for 10 bucks or less - three FatBoy's for $10 each (two of them mint condition), a Senator for $2, a '48-'50 Aristocrat for $4, a Slim for $2, a mint S/S for $9, two RedTips for $10 each, a Sheraton for $4, a NOS Ball End Tech for $8 in a mint condition grooming kit, a NOS Gem Pushbutton in mint condition with box and blades for $3 ... you get the idea.

I used to actually keep track on a spread sheet but quit several months ago. Now I just keep an eye out for good deals and try to give a few away here and there.

With software I haven't done as well but I have picked up a few vintage aftershaves and soaps at a good price.

crackstar, RyX and mrchick like this.
  9. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Ever think of becoming a personal shopper? Seems you have the luck of the devil!

MR41, crackstar and John Beeman like this.
  10. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

99 cents for a PAL Injecto-Matic
    [​IMG]

MR41, crackstar, John Beeman and 4 others like this.
  11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

John, are you finding these deal locally? I found a ball end tech locally for only $75 :eek:

crackstar and John Beeman like this.
  12. John Beeman

Mostly the western half of the lower peninsula but we've got family over by Port Huron so I hunt over there too.
    I also hunt Polk County Florida if I'm visiting family down there or anyplace else we might vacation to.

One of the 10 dollar FatBoy's was in St Louis, MO at an antique store but the two mint condition 10 dollar FatBoy's were in Bangor (MI) at an antique store. I got the '48-50 Aristocrat in Paw Paw, the Senator in Kalamazoo, and the Sheraton in Galesburg. One of the RedTip's came from Niles, a Robeson straight I didn't mention was only $18 in Traverse City, and the NOS GEM Pushbutton came from an antique shop in Brooklyn right near the Michigan International Speedway.

If you take a run down to Adrian to visit Maggard's you'll find that the Irish Hills area is home to a lot of antique stores, or you can hit a string of them on US 12 near Allen, Quincy, and Coldwater. Irish Hills is also a great area to ride.

Near you, you'll find that prices along the lakeshore can be tourist-trap high but I've done well at the warehouse downtown Grand Rapids and I've done well in Muskegon's many thrift stores. Thrift stores are my best places for Old Spice shaving mugs for less than five bucks each either in a separate case or grouped with the coffee cups.

Nice rides for you that avoid the Saugatuck prices would be south to Coloma and/or Niles, east to Hastings and Nashville, or north to Newaygo. The other thing I'd suggest this summer that's fun is the monthly antique fair at the Allegan County fairgrounds.

mrchick, Spyder and crackstar like this.
  13. John Beeman

Fortunately for me, perusing antique and thrift stores is a relaxing way to spend some of my vacation time and the wife doesn't mind too much.

It's not so much luck as just lots of looking and lots of coming up empty.

If I didn't enjoy the hunt I'd do much better to just pay a finders fee and be done with it sooner. The amount of time spent would be useless to someone who doesn't enjoy the activity.

mrchick and dustmite like this.
  14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I forgot what I paid for my Plissoft synthetic from Italian Barber but it was less than 15 bucks at the time. I also bought 100 Astras for just 10 bucks from the barbershop I go to.

mrchick and Spyder like this.
  15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Thanks John. I'll have to mak an effort to check out some of those areas.

16. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I admit I don't spend much time hunting, but when I do come across a vintage razor, it seems the seller assumes it's made of gold. Last one I saw was a Tech with almost no plating left with a price tag of $45...

mrchick and Spyder like this.
  17. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I paid around $13.00 CDN for a Razorock Plissoft; best deal I ever had. It performs like a $100.00 badger.

mrchick likes this.
  18. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

You must live close to me, because everyplace I go to has torn up razors for more than I would pay for a pristine one

dustmite likes this.
  19. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0244.JPG
    $1.00 at the fleamarket

FranklinFurter, mrchick and MR41 like this.
  20. mp1970

mp1970 New Member

2 bottles of Proraso AS lotion for $ 10.00 from my local barbershop. :)

mrchick likes this.