Just performed a split face head-to head Merkur 34C VS Timeless scalloped bar

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Spud, May 20, 2017.

1. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

So I have watched many videos of guys shaving one side of their face with one razor and the other side with another. It never occurred to me to actually try it until tonight.
    I recently purchased a Timeless scalloped 0.68 mm gap razor with a 85 mm handle. After using it a couple of times, I wasn't sure how much I liked it. Prior to this. My main go to razors were the Merkur Progress, ATT with a M1 plate, the 34C and the Muhle R89. I always said for me, the gold standard for quality shaves, not considering aesthetics, was the 34C. So tonight I decided to put it against the Timeless.
    My prior choice of blade with the Timeless was Voskhods, so I decided to use Astras for this one. My protocol was a shower, NO pre-shave product, lathering Gillette mentholated cream with a Razorock Plissoft brush. My typical routine is two standard passes: WTG & XTG, one pass along the jawline and finally ATG.
    I did one pass at a time, alternating razors. I finished with witch hazel and Geo F Trumper Limes Skinfood. This post shave is my standard.
    After I was done, I honestly cannot detect any differences in closeness or irritation.
    Both sides were close, smooth and comfortable. Both sides feel great.
    This surprised me. I really expected the 34 C to perform better. I even looked at my mug in a magnified mirror. I couldn't see any difference.
    I'm looking forward to putting Timeless against my Progress and ATT.
    Anyway, a split face comparison is a great way to see immediate results.
    Thanks,
    Jeremy

Jorvaljr, Rhody, RaZorBurn123 and 3 others like this.
  2. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

To be fair though, Timeless costs almost 10x what the 34C does.

Spud likes this.
  3. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I find expensive stainless steel razors are nice looking but don't shave any better than cheaper razors. For me, the Merkur 34C, a $58.00CDN razor, shaves better for me than my ATT. In my opinion, expensive razors offer better aesthetics and that's it.

4. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I like the Timless because its made in America and its stainless, so it should last for a lifetime. Being Canadian, that made in USA thing probaby doesnt mean much to you though.
    Have you tried a Rockwell? Canadian company and the razors are made in the USA. They have an interesting adjustability system too, you get 3 base plates and you just flip the base plate to adjust it.

Gnomeo0228 and Spud like this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

One thing I have noticed, at least for me, my right side of the face takes a little more time to feel as even as the left side. Maybe try switching sides with the razors and see if you get the same results. Just an idea.

Spud likes this.
  6. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I do have an appreciation for American built products. I know the quality is excellent. If I wanted a Canadian built stainless steel razor I could wait for Wolfman I guess!! I haven't tried a Rockwell. I do like the idea of a duel cap with two levels of aggression but I'm not struck on the finish. The Timeless is just beautiful.

Badgerstate and jimjo1031 like this.
  7. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Yes, thanks for that. I was thinking I'd shave on Tuesday doing exactly that.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  8. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Thanks for the test and results. I'm weighing getting a timeless and its complicated given the price and expectations. After all its a razor how great can it be?

On another note. I'll add my vote on the Rockwell. Its a wonderful shave. You get multiple plates (like the ATT concept) its all stainless and its $100. I have the ATT also but find it hard to compare because Im a novice. Maybe I should try the test you did here. But the Rockwell weight, feel and balance makes an effortless shave with no irritation for me when I use the alum block after there us no sting at all.

Spud likes this.
  9. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have exactly what you're looking for. Excellent!
    I don't own a Rockwell but they look awesome. As I mentioned before, I believe high end expensive razors offer better aesthetics, not really a better shave. I mean the shave is great but no better than what a cheaper razor offers. I'm talking in general.
    I plan on another split shave, this time I'll use the0.95 mm base plate in my Timeless with my Progress on setting 3.

Rhody likes this.
  10. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Look forward to the more aggressive plate review thanks
    I think the Rockwell is Hugh points in value. The timeless us a splurge for me but I've definitely got AD.