The VINTAGE Williams Project

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by GDCarrington, Jul 4, 2015.

1. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm going to use my Williams on Monday.

Paul Turner and Primotenore like this.
  2. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

For those pining for the old Williams formula, Prairie Creations has Walters Shaving Soap. It is supposed to be a recreation of "pre-reformulation" Williams. This thread at Badger & Blade shows photos of Williams boxes of various vintages, including the list of ingredients. Wow, menthol Williams?

3. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I've used my reconstituted Williams for the past 3 shaves and it works great. I like to bloom it while I prep up for the shave.

Primotenore and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

I did a test lather a little while ago, wow! Fantastic! I added quite a bit of Old Spice cologne when I was making the mixture so it smells great. I'll be using it tomorrow.
    :rah::rah::rah::rah::rah::rah::rah:

5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I have to go out on a limb here and suggest a name for this mixture..."Old Leather Velva".

Primotenore likes this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    My mentholated Williams is a more than a terrific soap; it's extraordinary. (Puts 90% of the artisan soaps to shame).

7. RaZorBurn123

Interesting, just from my extensive test lather I agree with your statement. I can't wait for tomorrow morning.

Weeper Warrior and Primotenore like this.
  8. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Well, I tried the glycerin/New Williams experiment and it didn't work. I grated the soap into a bowl and added just enough glycerin to moisten the batch. I stirred the mixture and then tried to press the soap to bind everything together. Nope, wouldn't work.

It appears that the glycerin made everything super slick and I couldn't get the soap to reconstitute in any fashion. Glad I used new Williams instead of one of my vintage ones.

So don't do this, it doesn't work. At least for me anyway.

9. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Monday, after my shave, I decided to bloom my VW for 2 days until my next shave, which was today. I covered the surface of the soap with a thin layer of water, put the lid back on and stored it in my cabinet.

Today, when I opened the lid, the top layer of the soap had bloomed perfectly. I used a badger brush and I've never had a better or easier time lathering. The protolather on top of the soap got scooped up immediately by the brush, which means I didn't have to load for more that 10 secs. I also only had to dip the tips of brush once in water after loading. Usually, its about 4 times to get the lather like I like it.

I'm not saying everyone should try this, but everyone should try this.;)

Weeper Warrior and Primotenore like this.
  10. Primotenore

Article Team
    Just finished cooking up my second batch of vintage Williams with some added menthol crystals, albeit about half of the amount that I used the first time. (Sorry @crackstar) :) I will let it cure for a few days then get it into my soap rotation. More later...

11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

This thread was an interesting read. Thanks Joseph for bumping it up once more.

12. Primotenore

Article Team
    It is an interesting thread and the added moisture really makes the vintage Williams shine.

13. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I was late to the party on williams. I have only been SR wet shaving for a few months, and by this time, williams had already been discontinued. I live in a very large metropolitan area (DFW), and it has been bought/removed from stores everywhere. It does not exist anywhere around where I live.
    A friend did ship me a puck, however. I have yet to try it, but I think i will give it a whirl this next week. I have heard mixed reviews, but i am looking forward to it.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  14. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

You can get it on Amazon. A case of 24 for $1.45 a puck. Or in smaller quantities if you prefer.

Douglas Carey and Linuxguile like this.
  15. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

This is a very interesting thread and is one that every Williams lover should read.

:happy088:

16. Paul Turner

I don't do "cooking" with Williams, I do "flipping". What do I mean by that? The simple act of "flipping" it off the supermarket counter where they're located, free shipment home, and all set to go. :).

17. Primotenore

Article Team
    I walk by the modern Williams too, however, I search out the tallow Williams and will always have a puck in my den.

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

19. Paul Turner

20. Primotenore

Article Team
    I am going to do this again right now.

Douglas Carey and brit like this.