Arkoholics not so anonymous

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by LevelupShaves, Jun 1, 2017.

1. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I know most people have tried or heard of Arko by now but I wanted to throw a review of it out there for those that haven't yet.
    I used Arko for the first time today and decided to use it as intended and rub the stick on my face then build a later on my face. Wow this stuff literally explodes into am incredible lather on the face it thick slick and protective. It's a tallow soaps so it leaves a nice post shave feel but can clog a razor a little. At around $2 a stick this stuff has some of the best price to performance around. So far so good right? There is one major flaw with this soap and that's the scent. It smells like straight up soap. It's not a bad smell just not a good one. For some it's not a big deal for me scent is a huge factor in the experience so Arko will stay in the den and probably be my go to travel soap but never one of my favorites unfortunately. That being said it's still very much worth checking out and scent is an incredibly biased thing to rate on so keep that in mind.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Nicely done. Arko is fantastic.

Bama Samurai, MR41 and Linuxguile like this.
  3. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

One of these days...

MR41 and Linuxguile like this.
  4. LevelupShaves

You haven't tried it yet?

Linuxguile likes this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

The scent can be reduced and even adjusted. Using a cheese grater, expose lots of surface area and let it set in open air. Then add new scent by adding E. O. or AS, stir, and press back to stick form or into a container. Viola'! Custom Designer Arko.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Next time try to use a little less soap. I find you don't need a white film covering your entire face.

Zykris likes this.
  7. LevelupShaves

You're probably right it wasn't as bad on the second pass. I do notice it's pretty common with all of my tallow soaps though Williams Razorock xxx. It's not usually major though just a little.

Zykris likes this.
  8. LevelupShaves

That's a good idea I really do like the performance but that scent just doesn't do it for me. I know it's a bit pick but the amazing scents from some of my soaps is what really makes the experience for me.

Zykris and RyX like this.
  9. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

I love Arko. It will always have a plce in my Den. To me it smells like hotel soap.

@RetLEO-07 send me your address and I will send you a stick.

Sent from my phone using some app

Zykris, RyX and AGHisBBS like this.
  10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I like using Arko. The scent, for me anyway, isn't bad and it performs well.

RyX, 178-bplatoon and Zykris like this.
  11. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I like Arko. To me it smells like Ivory soap, not unpleasant at all.

RyX, Bama Samurai, Otto and 2 others like this.
  12. LevelupShaves

Like I said scent is probably the most subjective metric to judge a soap on. Unlike performance which is much less a preference and more defined scent is entirely up to the user.

Bama Samurai, AGHisBBS and Zykris like this.
  13. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

For me anyway, performance will always out weigh the scent. YMMV.

Dave

178-bplatoon likes this.
  14. LevelupShaves

I agree with you if I had to choose between one or the other but I don't I can have both from several other soaps.

Zykris likes this.
  15. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I'm one of the few that likes the scent, so for me its win-win:)

Good Review!

AGHisBBS, dscaver, Pilotcld and 4 others like this.
  16. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I just finished a shave, trying one of the Super Chromium blade I just got, and decided to Arko instead of Williams. Since my nose doesn't work half the time, I didn't notice any stench, er, fragrance. (The Schick blade, btw, performed as expected...great.)

Pilotcld and RyX like this.
  17. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

According to my own nose the scent doesn't smell like a urinal cake at all, it just smell like a weak lemon scent that all ;) trust me I don't have a cold and I like Arko I grated up 3 sticks into a 250ml round plastic tub with a screw lid.

18. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

I hear lots of people saying it smells like ivory and hotel soap, I might have to try some out some day too. My career is going to have me staying at hotels very often and I like their soap.
    I was way off on the date for the arko PIF haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS likes this.
  19. LevelupShaves

It's a good product at a great price you won't be disappointed

AGHisBBS and Pilotcld like this.
  20. LevelupShaves

Cool it's definitely a personal preference thing it's not like it's a bad scent it's just really a good scent at least not to me. Like I said it more or less smells like soap. I prefer something with a really nice scent while I shave part of the experience for me. That being said I still think it has a killer price for performance.