Durham Duplex blades

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by wchnu, May 30, 2017.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Bama Samurai, dkeester and NCoxSTL like this.
  2. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Following.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Bama Samurai likes this.
  3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I've used them in both the traditional and 3 piece Durham. They aren't the best for sharpness but they work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

wchnu, Bama Samurai and dkeester like this.
  4. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Why? Know someone that wants one?

5. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I saw a nice one at a local antique store and was considering picking it up.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

6. Bookworm

I have one with an original blade still in it. Not willing to try to hone the blade :p

NCoxSTL likes this.
  7. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

The Personna blades from tryablade are by far the best available blades for the Durham Duplex ...
    They are the otherwise hard to get hold of 'pathology blades' (as confirmed by tryablade when I asked).
    Any other blades I've come across and tried were downright awful.. Dog dresser blades they call them... more like dog peeler blades...
    Even with the pathology blades, I've never really enjoyed a shave with my DD... maybe tomorrow I should try and... nope. :D

NCoxSTL, SharptoothC and gorgo2 like this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have both the DE model and straight with the Comb. I might pick a few up to play with. Thanks for the info guys!!

NCoxSTL and SharptoothC like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You have plenty of blades to play with. Lol.

riverrun, NCoxSTL and SharptoothC like this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I see your dog blades and raise you carpet blades. They fit, and kinda work, but...

actually they might be the same blade.

riverrun, NCoxSTL and SharptoothC like this.
  11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Mine has three original blades. A great keepsake but yeah.....not gonna go there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've tried several different blades, in a Durham Duplex, years ago. I wasn't able to get a comfortable shave with any, so, I just gave up on the DD Razor.

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I would like to try the open comb straight. Just curious about it.

14. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

The following is a quote from Durham Duplex's site about the Personna Durham blade.......

"We are particularly fond of this blade as it was invented by Durham-Duplex in 1875 and although more commonly known as the slotted blade now we love the fact that Personna still refer to it as the Durham blade. We also love the consistency of the edge and its wide ranging applications, even if it is no longer used for shaving and in USA is more of a carpeting blade. You can also shave with these as they still fit in the Durham-Duplex Safety razor in our archive room and the Durham-Duplex dog dressers that we sell to pet stores.

This blade is available in many thicknesses from 0.010" to 0.015" and made in carbon or stainless steel. traditionally the flooring blade has rounded corners but the industrial one has square corners which are particularly useful in the converting industry."

Maybe it depends on which thickness of the blade, four are available, is best for shaving.

15. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

The Personna pathology blades are 0.016" thick (when measured by me - maybe they are 0.015") and have rounded corners.
    I'd love to see their archive room though... do they need a curator? :p

jimjo1031 likes this.
  16. Bookworm

They might at least give you a tour.

riverrun likes this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I guessI will try a few. Take one for the team!

jimjo1031 likes this.
  18. jimjo1031

Sure, why not....

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Heck..what is the worst that could happen?

jimjo1031 likes this.
  20. jimjo1031

A weeper here and there......