The Mark Cross Razor (1913)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jmudrick, Apr 9, 2017.

1. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

It is one I made. It is a 16mm knot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GAW9576, Enrico, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I could not resist trying to sharpen the old blade. I sent 30 minutes getting it looking good.

I just shaved with it. I had no tugging, actually pretty smooth. I found that is is a mild razor. I will forgo messing with old blades and try new blades.

4. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Aww... Just build a jig and hone and strop it and see how many shaves you can get before it disappears :p

GAW9576 likes this.
  5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I actually have a nice honing device. It is a vintage Warner Jones. I made a nice flat for it that I use lapping film on. It works great for the the old Carbon SE blades.
    It might just be the blade it was a bit wavy.

GAW9576 likes this.
  6. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

Those patents look awesome. Wouldn't mind having the top one framed. Very interesting, thanks!

RyX, jmudrick and twhite like this.
  7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

It is actually a great feeling and handling razor. I want to see if I can find a blade that can replicate height. The width I can trim to size. Thickness will not be that big of an issue. The tension will hold it fine.

GAW9576, Tiredricefarmer and jmudrick like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you @jmudrick for a detailed walk through a (non-Gillette) bit of shave history! To have uncovered an inaccuracy and set the records straight should put your name in the history books. :happy088:

jmudrick and twhite like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

You made the brush knot? I would like to sign up for your Newsletter, Sir.

GAW9576 likes this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

There are a lot of stories to tell outside the world of Gillette!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  11. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Sorry no just the handle. I have not tried that yet. I am waiting for your cows ear hair.

RyX likes this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The National Association of Retail Druggists were not impressed with the profit margin on the Mark Cross compared with the $5 Gillette.[​IMG]

brit and Frijolero like this.
  13. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Very interesting. So Gillette couldn't sell enough razors at two or three dollars. But jack the price up to five dollars, advertise the hell out of them, and suddenly they can't crank them out fast enough. Amazing just how effective aggressive marketing can be.

I know that the Mark Cross is much simpler. But 1/10th the (original) price of a Gillette? Were they really intending to sustain that for the long term? Or just starting at a loss to get a foot in the door? That goes on to this day with internet wonders like Uber. But they don't have to snowball any retailers. Just investors.

14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

"What we lose on each item we make up in volume" logic isn't really a thing is it. The Mark Cross did use a proprietary blade so imagined blade sales? Whatever the theory was it obviously didn't work out beyond getting a lot of razors out in 1913. Perhaps it was the aforementioned lack of profit margin for distributors that did screw things up. Why work as hard to sell 10 Mark Cross as you would to make the same money on one Gillette?

Should be remembered that the $5 razor was never King Gillette's idea, it was his investors who outvoted him when the price on the Double Ring was first established.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Frijolero likes this.
  15. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

This was a blast I have to say. In my NOS Mark Cross I used my usual Schick Proline injector blade, in my well used one half a Supermax BDT DE blade. The latter required two half blades used as shims to fully secure the blade. While I've used the injector blade often, this was a first using a DE blade. It was a very pleasant surprise. The exposed blade tabs didn't bother and the shave was smooth if noisy and extremely close. Even with the two shims the Proline has the edge in rigidity which evidenced itself going ATG on my head with greater ease than the DE blade. It was also able to clean up a wee bit of stubble the Supermax missed on first pass. So I still give the edge to the Proline but in a pinch the DE hack works brilliantly indeed.

[​IMG]

17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Mark Cross with twin BIC blades. I usually use an injector blade with the MC but the shave with the twin BICs is superb, just requires a few easy blade snaps. [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

GAW9576, Enrico, deepsea and 3 others like this.
  18. Bflotom2

Bflotom2 Active Member

Thank you @jmudrick for a walk through razor history. Whether its Gillette or other history I enjoy the research and the information.

Dave in KY and jmudrick like this.
  19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

You're welcome. There seemed to be a story worth telling here.

GAW9576 and Dave in KY like this.
  20. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Thursday SEptember 23, 2021
    Razor: Mark Cross
    Blade: Schick B Proline Injector
    Brush: Trotter Handcraft
    Soap: A&E Rèvolution
    AS 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
    AS 2: A&E Rèvolution Splash
    Fragrance: Viktor & Rolf Spicebomb
    Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 1,051

Thread Resurrection and a thanks to Jeff for his research and bringing it to us to benefit from !
    IMG_20210922_201642548_HDR.jpg IMG_20210923_061001708_HDR.jpg IMG_20210923_061024599_HDR.jpg

GAW9576, Ron R, IAmTheJody and 4 others like this.