Gem bullet tip micromatic....pics

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Master.Legend, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Master.Legend

Master.Legend Member

Wow what a shave picked her up about a week ago and this might be my favorite so far although my g bar is coming tuesday. Makes my beard lines tight and is super fast. I love this razor it's tops of my damaskeene, clog pruf, and 1912 so far I like the other shaves but this with the gem stainless is killer for me! Oh and only paid 8 bucks but no case gotta find one. 2017-06-10 10.54.21.jpg 2017-06-10 10.52.17.jpg 2017-06-10 10.55.40.jpg 2017-06-10 10.52.59.jpg 2017-06-10 10.55.01.jpg

2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I have a Gem bullet tip and find it to be an excellent razor. Two pass shaves and I'm good to go. They're user friendly and on the mild side. They rarely bite and I can quickly go through a shave in just a few minutes. The bullet tip looks very cool too. I believe yours is chrome plated brass. It's a very durable finish. Pardon the pun, but these razors are bullet proof!

Master.Legend likes this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    My birth era razor. Introduced in 1947, it is a continuation/iteration of a great razor design.

Jim99 likes this.
  4. targa88

targa88 Well-Known Member

Totally agree.
    Very smooth razor. Definitely at the milder end of the spectrum.
    I marvel at the design. How the top cap closes and push the blade forward toward the stops.
    Why they stopped making these....

Jim99 likes this.
  5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Good question! In my opinion, the Gem blows away all modern day cartridge razors and most all of its competition back in the day. Simplicity, efficiency and quality... Ultimately, they could not compete against Gillette.
    :(

twhite likes this.
  6. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I think it was simply that their blades couldn't compete, price-wise, against the _huge_ variety of DE blades. Consider that the DE blades went from .006" to .004" thickness, probably to save money on material (and honing time). You couldn't do that with the SE blades. That means that material costs were higher, and honing was more costly, time-wise (and related costs for replacing honing supplies were higher). The fact that cheaper, less honed and lower cost material blades managed to lock into another market is rather remarkable on its own (Scrapers, box cutters, medical sectioning) . The Ronson Razor blades - gone. Lereche blades - gone. Tark blades? not a chance. All of the various wedge blades? Failures. The Gillette _style_ DE blade made it, even through the dry times, by their adapting constantly to try to fit other people's razors, as well as the changes to their _own_ razors to try to maintain compatibility.

Interesting side note. Companies now sue each other constantly over names, even common ones. In 1915, 'Eversharp' was a pencil manufactured by Wahl Adding Machine company, when eventually became Wahl-Eversharp. No connection at all to the Eversharp/GEM razor company, and no evidence I can find that they cared about each other.

Jim99 likes this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Beautiful razor. I like the clog pruf more I think but the flying wing is awesome too.

Jim99 likes this.
  8. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

I love me some Bullet Tip-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigMark83, MR41, dangermouse and 5 others like this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That is a beauty!

10. Morman Bridge

Thanks Jim99, I got lucky when I spotted that store display rack of Bullet Tips. I have had it for a few years now, and I still can't bring myself to use one of these nos sets. I have a couple of other Micromatics I use when I'm in the mood for a shave with one. God Bless, and have a great night.

Jim99 likes this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Actually, I'm afraid your history is off . It was indeed the same Eversharp, the pencil and pen company, which bought Schick in 1946. They did it in part because they figured the name Eversharp would work pretty well in marketing razors and blades. Maybe you confused Eversharp and Ever Ready (?) as there was no association between Eversharp and Gem (ASR).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

BigMark83 and Jim99 like this.
  12. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

You're probably right, as I haven't looked at most of the history for a while. I do know that there is still a Wahl-Eversharp, but it could be one of those weird resurrected companies that doesn't really have anything to do with the original.

13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

"the company was eventually sold to the Parker Pen Company where the Wahl-Eversharp brand languished in the role of a lower tier brand under the Parker banner. Parker sold the Eversharp company to a successor who in turn sold it to another, where it existed virtually in name only for almost 50 years until being revived by the owners of the Wahl-Eversharp Company who today bring you the pens contained in this website"

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    gorgo2 likes this.
  14. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

That is seriously awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MR41 and Jim99 like this.
  15. Morman Bridge

Thank You Sir!

Jim99 likes this.
  16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Fantastic!!

Jim99 likes this.
  17. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

My whole magazine vs your single bullet, challenge accepted?

[​IMG]

MR41 and Redfisher like this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

CarlfromMO likes this.
  19. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I've just been sick - sick with envy :)

20. Morman Bridge

Glad you like them! Thanks!