Tell Us How You Helped Convert Someone To Wet/Vintage Shaving.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by DaltonGang, Feb 22, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Last week I gave a coworker a Gillette Super Speed, and a starter kit(blades, Plissoft Brush, and a couple of soaps). This was after I noticed he had very bad neck irritation and ingrown hair, and after we had a talk about a possible cure. A couple of days later he told me he tossed out all his cartridge razors, and is now DE convert.

Last night a friend of ours wants to buy her husband a DE, and other shave things, new. She apparently had conversations with my wife, about Vintage shaving, and its benefits. She wants to ditch the carts in her house.

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

A few months back, I handed a black employee of a customer a Rimei and some blades, and he's been using it since. Immediate reduction of bumps and irritation, and that was with his first use. No massive learning curve.

Passed a PIF of a shaving starter kit to the daughter of @drwevil in Kiwi Land, and as far as I know, she's been good with it.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    Keithmax, DaltonGang and RyX like this.
  3. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My father-in-law for years before I came into the family used a cartridge razor and Gillette or Edge gel. Shortly after the wife and I tied the knot he noticed that although my beard is as tough as his, according to him my shaves were so good and my skin looked so nice. I told him because I've always been a traditional wetshaver. I bought him a Wilkinson Sword brush, a Ming Shi DE, some Personna blades and I gave him a new tube of Palmolive Classic cream. He's been hooked ever since. Now, whenever he needs another cream or soap or blades he let's me know and I give it to him. I'm his official supplier. Why not, I love him dearly. My brother-in-law became a traditional wetshaver thanks to me as well after I set him up also, and so did something like 4 of my former employees and 2 of my best friends here in town. My Dad also shaved traditionally for many years but since he developed Alzheimer's he's had to go back to an electric.

4. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

My Director of Sales made the mistake of bragging about Harry's. I gave him a quick shave lesson and bequeathed him a Merkur, a tuck of Astra SPs, my starter brush, and some TOBS. Four days later he is texting me shave update. Once he buys his first vintage DE or upgrades a brush he is a goner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax, RyX and DaltonGang like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

While visiting family out of state, I discovered two nephews had gotten into straights. Their father, my younger brother, had little interest. I sent him a Fat Boy for his birthday. That got him going on wet shaving. We don't communicate often. I should check up on his situation. I'm sure he'd enjoy a soap sample or three, brush, and a suribachi bowl if he's still using the Gillette.

Shaver X, Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.
  6. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

The chain of events, as follows:

(1) Joined TSD
    (2) Caught RAD big-time, & started "collecting" razors.
    (3) Ran out of room & gave a bunch to my middle grandson for his "inheritance", along with a substantial quantity of blades.
    (4) My son thought they were cool and started using them. Now he's hooked. (He already had his maternal grandfather's Hydro-Magic, and a '60s Super Speed left behind when he bought the house next door to the funeral home.)

My oldest grandson will be shaving soon. I reckon I'll pass one of my vintage badger brushes on to him. Only hope his younger brother lets him have the pick of what razor he wants.

Keithmax likes this.
  7. DaltonGang

Update: The coworker now looks completely irritation, and ingrown hair free. In just a couple of weeks, his hundreds of ingrown hairs, and raised bumps, have disappeared.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    brit, Shaver X, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  8. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Additional Update: our sales director called me yesterday to report that he had bought a years worth of blades, didn't understand why anyone else would not want to shave this way, and reported several observations about dialing in his shave that took me a lot more than two weeks to figure out. I don't want to be a troll of cartridges or any other shaving method, as I'm a big fan of "whatever works for you" is what you should be doing. Having said that, it's a shame that more people don't know about this alternate universe, as so many have derived pleasure from it!

9. I gave my 29 year old Grandson a Parker Variant, a puck of Haslinger's Ewe Milk, a Razorock Plissoft brush, a bottle of Dickinson's Witch Hazel, an Alum Stick, some Pinaud Clubman, 2 boxes each of Feathers, Voshkods and 7 O'clock Blacks. He IS hooked.

Keithmax, RyX and DaltonGang like this.
  10. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

I started by converting my oldest son from electric to wet shaving. Then when the other son came of age he started out with a DE.

I have started converting people at work. I work in a cube farm and it started with the guy(JL) beside me with a PIF from @wchnu , thanks again. I sold a couple of my straights to the trainer at the gym. He was already wet shaving with a DE. I was talking to another guy(KH) at brake when I gave a female coworker(EH) a hard time about shaving with a DE razor. When I told my wife about this she said she wanted to try DE's also. I posted here on TSD Wife's First Razor. @Zykris PIF'd my wife her first razor. (I don't know if I can count that as I converted her or not).

Then yesterday I had brought in a couple of my shaving brushes to sale to the trainer and another one of my coworkers(DC) asked about the brushes. That and a 5 pack of my Derby blades is all it took and he bought his own DE set up from amazon. I am still working on EH. The lady beside her(ND) said she had tried DE shaving once and nicked herself up and put it back in a drawer. So EH is now a little gun shy. I am waiting on my wife's first full review to use on EH and ND.

11. DaltonGang

Just a couple of additions, saving two relatives from Cartridge Razors.
    My brother-in-law was saved over 1 1/2 hears ago, when I explained everything to him. He uses a Merkur 34 for his head and face. I also gave him some good blades.
    My wife , yesterday, gave her sister a Merkur Future clone ($8) with a wide assortment of premium blades. She used it last night, with her husband's encouragement, and my wife's. Atter she was finished, she said the shave was fantastic. She was instantly hooked.

Now, I just have to work on my 17 yr old daughter. She's just scared.

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  12. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

No converts yet. I do get some interesting looks if the subject comes up in conversation.

RyX likes this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Brother in Law:

Set him up with an SS and Voskhod, with an Omega boar and Proraso Green. Still uses it, but has SAD now.

Father:

Told him how great it was, and that he should go back. Gave him a 63 Slim, Voskhod, Arko, and Jayaruh #22 (synthetic). He still uses that setup.

brit, Keithmax and RyX like this.
  14. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I "converted" my sons. When they were small boys, in the 70s, I used to lather them up with Old Spice soap and brush when I shaved. Apparently, it stuck because they're wet shavers today 40 years later.

brit, Shaver X, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  15. DaltonGang

:eatdrink047:

16. DaltonGang

I get the crazy looks and comments, from co-workers, when some of my razors arrive at my job. Especially since I've been 100% into Straight Razor Shaving for about a year.

brit, Keithmax, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  17. Bookworm

You have them sent there, rather than home, deliberately, don't you? :)

RyX likes this.
  18. DaltonGang

Yes, for a variety of reasons. Hopefully, someone at work will get curious enough to ask for one, to try.

brit and RyX like this.
  19. Bookworm

Get a few Rimei and leave them on your desk.

DaltonGang likes this.
  20. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

So my new total of "Converts" is now at 10 at work with two more waiting on me to bring in razors. I get them by saying that if they give me just 1 shave with a DE/SE razor they will throw their carts away and to ask some of the other guys I have converted what they think of wet shaving. I also tell them that I will give them all they need to shave and if they don't like it just bring me the stuff back and I will leave them alone.

I am going to set up a display rack with razors on it so more will ask me about it.