ABove the tie. Rust!?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rhody, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

I changed the persona red out after being in for maybe a week. And there is rust under the blade. After shaving I've been putting it in a razor stand. Which I'm assuming let water collet under the blade. But rust?! On a stainless steel item. Should I freak out.

The rustdid not cone off with superficial cleaning.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I was gifted a beautiful 2014 ATT OC M2 Kronos and there is a tiny spot of rust under the top cap as well.

3. Primotenore

Article Team
    Here is where it's rusting.
    IMG_1636.jpg IMG_1637.jpg

4. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Yes same place. Under top cap by post.

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I wouldn't worry about it, consider it a learning experience. I'm sorry it has happened to you.

6. Primotenore

Article Team
    I have no skin in the game, so it doesn't bother me at all. Not sure I would feel the same had I paid retail for the razor.

7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I soak my razor in 90% alcohol while I am going through my clean up routine. In seven years, I have yet to see rust on my hardware.

Primotenore likes this.
  8. Primotenore

Article Team
    I do not soak my razors in alcohol, but rather rinse and wipe thoroughly dry, never tightening down the handle/TTO doors until 24 hrs after airing out. The only example of rust in my collection, both modern and vintage---indeed antique, is on my ATT top cap.

preidy and Linuxguile like this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Stainless steel is highly rust-resistant, but not rust -proof—particularly in areas where 1. moisture can collect and b. where there is friction.
    Leaving blades in DE razors increasing the likelihood of moisture collecting within a razor's head, stainless or not.
    Not worth freaking out over, but perhaps motivation for changing the drying procedure when the razor isn't in use.

Some SS background:
    "When stainless steel is exposed to oxygen, chromium oxide is created on the surface of the steel because chromium has a very strong affinity for oxygen. The chromium oxide is a very thin layer which doesn’t spall off, and it prevents further oxidation of the stainless steel. Even if stainless steel is scratched and the chromium oxide layer is removed, a new chromium oxide layer will form and protect the rest of the stainless steel beneath it. As long as there is sufficient chromium present, the chromium oxide layer will continue to protect the stainless steel and prevent it from rusting." (polymersolutions.com)

10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I would also add that a lot of the rusting or tea staining as it is also known is made worse with harder water or waters with high mineral content. I have never had the issue with ATT razors or other stainless razors but I tend to change DE blades every three days.

11. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Can't have our razors getting wet I guess!

AGHisBBS likes this.
  12. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:happy097:

13. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

If you have iron pipes, it can form from the water.

clint64 likes this.
  14. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Why spend a ton of money on a "Stainless" razor if it has to be treated special to prevent rust? The logic fails me. Gillette made plated brass razors that only needed an occasional soap scum cleanup that are not only still in use 40-50 years later but are in high demand; they sold for $2 to $5 by the way.

Today folks are paying $50 for pot metal razors and $200-300 for "stainless" razors, neither of which seem to tolerate being wet.

15. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I like your rant..it is a quality outcry..:angry019::happy088:

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  16. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try to clean it thus weekend and maybe change my dry off processes but this hasn't happened with other razors. I think a big culprit was the stand up stand that had the wet razor upright.

clint64 likes this.
  17. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

By looking at the pics, taking in consideration its 304 SS that razor should last at least 300-400 years of usage till it falls apart at that spot. Oh noes! LOL

18. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Try a white pencil eraser, if you have one? (They're softer than the pink rubber) See if the rust will buff off.

19. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

depends which SS, like I said on another forum I left the Rockwell 6S wet with the blade inside and not a single tea stain on it and some blades were rusting, I did however unscrew the handle so the blade wont be stuck to the top cap and the plate. Then just for the heck of it I took all plates,top cap and handle of the Rockwell and tossed in a bowl of Florida tap water for 48 hours, not a single spot on rust on it. BTW the Rockwell is made of 316L SS, that's the closest thing in corrosion resistance to Titanium

20. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I do the same. A complete rinse and dry and for TTO's I leave the doors slightly open when I place than back in my rotation rack. Kinda anal I guess.

Primotenore likes this.