Safety razor handle rotates all the way and I can even pull it out

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Alex7, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

Hello. I have an Edwin Jagger 89 DE. Today when I put the blade in it and tried to secure it by rotating the handle, it rotated all the way, without staying in place. I can even pull the handle out. The middle screw from the cap looks in bad shape, so I think that's the problem. I don't know for sure though. I have been using Cif Bathroom Ultrafast for a month about twice a week on the razor. Maybe that's what caused the problem.

RyX likes this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but it sounds like the screw is stripped. You can check out Maggard for a replacement handle and baseplate.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jimjo1031 likes this.
  3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Ya your cap stud is shot. This problem happens a lot because they make the heads completely out of zamak, even the cap stud. If you like the razor contact Edwin and maybe they'll send you a fresh one. A couple of vendors like Connaught also sell Muhle heads that are the same for about 20 bucks i think...

jimjo1031, RyX and lightcs1776 like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Cif Bathroom cleaner contains Sodium Citrate, or citric acid as the cleaning agent. It should be safe for your zamak razor. I have a MÜHLE R89 and I think the only difference is the handle. I only give mine a rinse and dry towel wipe.
    Where is the spinning happening? Maybe the handle? Because the head doesn't have any moving parts.
    Muhle R89 Grande.gif

jimjo1031 likes this.
  5. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

How often should I use Cif? I was thinking after every shave use toothbrush and dish soap and after every blade change (evert 4 shaves for ex.) use Cif.

6. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

jimjo1031 likes this.
  7. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Wow. I wouldn't use anything like Cif or Scrubbing Bubbles unless you have soap scum that doesn't come off with regular scrubbing. Most of the time, with my TTO's, if I use a toothbrush to scrub it lightly after shaving, that's it. No additional soap or cleaner needed. It's not because there's anything wrong with Cif or SB, it's just go with the lightest cleaning necessary. (Yeah, yeah, I know, this is coming from the guy with the half gallon vibrating razor bath)

If you kept cranking the handle really tight each time, I could see it stripping screws, but still, not this fast. I agree with @lightcs1776 above.

RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  8. Bookworm

One question. If you take the base plate out, and just thread the handle onto the cap, will the threads catch and hold? If so, yes, you've stripped the end of the screw.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Gotta agree with comments above. Your picture of the cap looks like the threading on the end of the post has worn down.

10. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

They won't. The handle can't be fixed into place.

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I only use that kind of stuff to clean new to me razors. I find that a good rinse and dry keeps a razor plenty clean.

It sounds like you have threads striped in the handle or on the head of the razor. Do you have a razor with a handle that might fit this one? If you do then you can find out if the post or the handle threads are bad. If it is striped all you can do is replace it.

There is no need to tighten these down super tight. Run it down good and snug and it will hold. If you torque them down often this is the result. There is also no need to take the razor apart every shave. I know some people are quite OCD about that.

12. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

Connaught are not selling any Mühle products anymore.
    As for the stripped thread - a few layers of Teflon tape might be a temporary fix, but I'd get the head replaced.

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup.

Jayaruh likes this.
  14. Bookworm

I think @wchnu is correct. Try a different handle if you have one. Otherwise, it sounds like you've stripped the threads in the 'nut' side, that is, the handle. It also sounds like they didn't put much depth in the handle's threading. (well, stripped on both the nut and screw side M/F).

15. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

What should I buy for a second safety razor? I was thinking Muehle R89 or a Parker 26C.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  16. Bookworm

Gillette SuperSpeed. Vintage, but good workhorse, and difficult to kill.

RyX likes this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

The R89 by any name is on the mild side. If you choose another the cap, base plate, or handle can be spare parts for your current one. If the damage is caused by over tightening and stripping the threads in the handle it might be tapped out to a larger size and used in another razor. Take a look at the top of the cap - spinning the bolt in the cap may show deformations in the shiny top.
    I became aware of the ability to "adjust" and increase aggressiveness in most DE's by not clamping them down. For your next razor you might consider an adjustable? There are many vintage models and some moderns units, too. They do have more moving parts if a TTO, or swappable base plates if a 3pc. The up side being the ability to tune the razor to your preference.

18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

BULLY!!!!

19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Me 2...

20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I disassemble my razor and clean razor and blade with water. This is followed by swishing the razor in jar of alcohol to keep the soap scum off. I've had no ill effects and keeps the razor nice and shiny. This is not for sanitizing it, just to keep the soap scum off. Some may think it's excessive, but only takes 5-10 seconds.
    IMG_0556.JPG