The Jim Thread: League of Jims

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Jayaruh, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to our newest member, @Jimhall504. I have noticed a number of Jims around TSD, and I have often wondered about starting a Jim Thread. So, whether you are a James, Jim, Jimmy, Jimmie, Gem, or Gym, let us know your story.

I am actually a rare form of Jims. My Momma named me Jimmie. Yep, Jimmie. My college advisor was also a Jimmie. He said, "I see your mother had a sense of humor, too." I normally go by Jim, but being raised in the South and now living in North Cackalacky, I have even taken to a dual name at times, calling myself Jimmie Wayne. That is what Momma called me when I was doing something I shouldn't.

So, that is me. Jimmie Wayne from North Cackalacky.

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

you did say gym, right? I'm going to mine shortly, although as you know, my name isn;'t Jim.

Jim99 and Jayaruh like this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

"The League of Jims" ... the lesser known offshoot of "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen."

Zykris, wristwatchb, twhite and 3 others like this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

James is the official name here, but most everyone calls me Jim. Family members do call me Jimmy much to my chagrin.

5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Look at it this way....we must wonder if the famous fraternal half of "Donny And Marie Osmond", prefers to be known as "Don" Osmond today. Maybe he DOES, though, who is to say??? But back to the thread title, I suppose it's a personal prefence..I never heard the famous tennis player Jimmy Connors refered to as "Jim". but at the same time, another famous player, Jim Courier, appeared to prefer just that....Jim.

Jim99 likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    We named our oldest son James, but we call him Philip, his middle name.

Growing up I knew of Jimmy Durante, Jimmy Stewart, and Jim on the Mickey Mouse Club. That was about it. Then we got Jimmy Carter.

Jim99 likes this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Here's one of my pet peeves with my name...

I can't stand it when someone calls me "Jimbo".
    :rolleyes005:

I was bartending during my college years and the other bartender was named Jamie. At first they were calling me Jimmy, but we never could tell if they were calling Jamie or Jimmy. To solve the issue, I was then known as Jimbo.
    :angry017:
    Do we have any Jims here that go by Jimbo?

Terry likes this.
  8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Hi. I am Dale, but I go to a gym....

(Yes, I know that doesn't count. :p)

Jayaruh and twhite like this.
  9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

That depends on whether you go to the gym to actually work out or just to socialize.

Jayaruh, PanChango and twhite like this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I much prefer not talking to anyone while I am training and normally wear headphones.

The only exception is if I need to ask for a spot or if someone asks me for one.

Regardless, it still doesn't count :)

Jayaruh and richgem like this.
  11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I applaud y'all James's. Most I've met have been solid gentlemen. And I do understand the frustration with folks butchering up your given moniker. I happen to be in that boat as well, because I'm called, David, Dave,Davey, Davy, bigD, littleD, just D, depending on who is calling me. Mostly I'm okay with any of them , if the situation is right. Sometimes it sounds silly if the context is wrong. I tower over my father, but still I'm called little Davey (i don't mind, cause that means my dad's still with me), just sounds a bit off.

I guess as long as they don't call me late for dinner, I'm okay.

12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

One of my husband's numerous middle names is James.

MR41, Jayaruh, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  13. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

When I was on the Job, when I wasn't being called Tattoo I was called Jimbo.

14. RetLEO-07

Jimi Hendrix :)

15. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Why tattoo?

16. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

After I was born, the nurse asked my Dad what was going to be my name. He said that it will be Jim, because in Greek my name is Dimitrios. Well, I guess the nurse thought he meant James, so it's technically my legal name, but not my baptismal name.

brit likes this.
  17. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Good news to all those named James!

Here's what the Urban Dictionary has...

IMG_2476.PNG

Yeah, that's us!

:p

RetLEO-07 and jimjo1031 like this.
  18. RetLEO-07

'Cause I'm short(5'6.5") and "Fantasy Island" was a popular TV show at the time. Thanks for askin'.

19. RetLEO-07

Yup

Jim99 likes this.
  20. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Sounds like your husband's parents are either from upper class European stock, or like me. My daughter has five names :) (They don't all fit on the social security card )