Best Razor Scores

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I'm curious to know what vintage razor purchases others consider to be their best. To clarify this, I don't mean something obvious like a pristine looking Diplomat that you paid $150 for -- I want to know about the diamonds in the rough. I want to hear about the buys that you gambled on slightly because the razors were covered in crud, or the pictures looked horrible, but they ended up as sparkling jewels. Here's mine:

First up, a 1919 Single Ring. This razor was black with tarnish, and the dark pictures the seller used didn't help matters. I didn't go very high for this ($27 max), and it took all of my bid to win by a razor-thin margin.

Before and after:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Back when I was on the hunt for a Fat Boy, I came across a Buy It Now listing for a cased Fat Boy for only $13 shipped with two very out of focus pictures. At this time, uncased Fat Boys were going for $40-$50, so for that price, as long as it was usable, it was a good deal.

The blade pack came later, and was another stealth buy. The seller never mentioned that it was sealed with instructions, and you couldn't tell from the pictures, so I eneded up getting it for only $3 shipped. Grand total for a like-new cased Fat Boy with sealed blade pack: $16.

[​IMG]

At about the same time I bought the Fat Boy, I saw another Buy It Now for a "One-Piece Tech Aristocrat Model". I had never heard of a One-Piece Tech, but I knew an Aristocrat when I saw one, and I thought the seller made an error. Again, he had fuzzy pictures, but for $22 shipped, I took a shot and it paid off. This razor is pristine with absolutely no plating loss.

[​IMG]

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

None of the razors from this score are particularly special, but this score is very significant for me because it really fired up my RAD. I had about 6 razors at the time, and was at an antique show talking to dealers asking about razors. I asked one gentleman who said he had some at home because he used to collect them, but would sell the lot to me. I agreed, and these showed up at my door a couple weeks later. After a score like that, I had to find more.

[​IMG]

3. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

gold 1915 pocket edition, floral case. hoos has it now, but i bought it for 6 bucks on ebay and it cleaned up AMAZING. i had to let it go though b/c it had the hollow handle ball end and had stress cracks. i got sad everytime i looked at it.

4. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

That's a great haul, rodd. How did they clean up?

5. Padron

Padron Active Member

Dang,

Those were some incredible deals, your razors look great Rick! :cool:

6. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

The cased TV SS and blade pack in my collection I got for $25 and the picture was really blurry and you couldn't even see the razor. It is near mint with no flaws

The nickel Toggle was steal at $75.

I once bought a Blue tip SS in mint condition with no paint missing and it had the instructions and case for $20. I wound up selling it because it was before I started collecting. I am sad I did.

7. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

Would have to be this minty Rocket for AU$15.00.:D

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      91.4 KB
      Views:
  8. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

This was a great score almost exactly a year ago that gave me RAD big time. A 35lb bucket of Gillette's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Holy crap, Chris! :eek: Do you still have all of those?!!

So, how much does a pound of Gillettes go for these days? :happy102

10. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Sadly no, quite a few of them went to B&B members and I sold most of the rest on eBay last winter. The Fat Boy's and Red Tips only lasted about a month! $3.57/pound was the going rate last October.

They did clean up nicely, but took a lot of work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brit likes this.
  11. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Impressive! How many razors were there? I'm guessing 150-200.

12. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

It was around 260, but many were not salvageable. There was a shave quality President in there that is now one of my favorites, a couple Senators and many many Super Speed's and Slim's.

13. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Well, now we know how you're financing your RAD!

Hand down, THAT is the ultimate score! :happy096

14. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Well my job certainly doesn't do it! :D

It was a serendipitous lifestyle change when I walked into that junk shop last October looking for a single Gillette that led to amazing shaves and the ability to acquire some uncommon razors. I haven't had a bit of the awful razor burn I've suffered on my neck since the age of 18 in the past year, nada, and have had a whole lot of fun learning useless razor information and meeting fellow wet shavers. :eatdrink047

15. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Big +1. I couldn't have said it better, friend! :D

16. That is an amazing amount of razors! Frickin awesome!

17. riffin

riffin Active Member

What did you use to clean it? Photoshop? :happy102

18. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

haha It is staged identically. That is funny stuff.

19. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

I've got 3 "Best Razor Scores".

This '58 Fat Boy Executive was a gift from my barber. Well he's a friend who is a barber and who used to cut my hair when I had hair. He is also the last guy who gave my a barbershop straight shave before he quit shaving. This razor was free by the way. I almost dropped over when I saw how nice it was. No box unfortunately but when you get something like this free one does not complain.

[​IMG]

This Tech was one of the first razors I bought while antiquing. I also got a shaver type Slim the same day. This one has everything original including the blades. I don't think it was ever used. Has the little card under the bottom plate of the head.

[​IMG]

This Milord just popped out of nowhere literally. An old high school friend of mine who moved back to town about 4 years ago was at an estate sale and bought a lot of three razors with me in mind. Went to a meeting we both attended and he dropped this bag with the razors in. I looked them over, gave him a $20. One razor was an Old Style Gillette in bad shape with a totally cracked handle. The other one was a Gillette Tech Travel razor in a brown leather case. I saw one just like it sold for $6 shipped on eBay. So that makes the cost of my Milord $14. Not bad, not bad at all.

[​IMG]

20. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

No, that's good memory on how I placed the items from the first shot. ;)

Very nice, Bryce!

Hey, listen to me bust those rhymes! :happy102