Wife Shows Signs of Weakness, Proceeding Cautiously

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by dustmite, Jun 24, 2017.

1. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I've endured my wife's ridicule and teasing about shaving for over a decade now, but found a chink in her armor tonight. She was getting ready to shave her legs, and I asked her for the thousandth time if she wanted me to make her a lather. I fully expected to get the standard eye roll, but instead she asked what soaps I had. I pulled a few I thought she'd like for her to sniff, and she settled on Stirling Weekend in Malibu. I loaded a synthetic, and produced a nice bowl-full of yogurty goodness for her. I helped her lather up her first leg, and she said how nice the brush and warm lather felt. At least now she doesn't think I'm quite so nuts, and I might even be able to share the joys of traditional shaving with her!

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Sounds awesome!!

dustmite likes this.
  3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Congrats. My wife is a regular DE shaver and loves the variety of soaps. Your wife is on the edge of a great journey.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

theFAT98, mrchick and dustmite like this.
  4. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

My wife was very hesitent at first but noticed how soft my face was and how good the shave was so I got her a starburst. Now she ordered soaps for herself and Im going to restore a brush and surprise her.

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  5. George X

George X Well-Known Member

That is awesome...proceed very cautiously...Before you know your Den has become her den. Remember...the usual saying goes is what's hers is hers and what's yours is hers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RetLEO-07, AGHisBBS, richgem and 3 others like this.
  6. dustmite

That's what worries me. She picked the Rubberset brush that @JR Reyes donated to the last raffle. You know, my favorite... :(

AGHisBBS, JR Reyes, George X and 2 others like this.
  7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

My wife is now using a DE razor, badger brush, and some nice soaps. It's nice having her share the interest in wet shaving. At least she stays away from my straights

twhite, Stu929, AGHisBBS and 6 others like this.
  8. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Good for you!! My wife uses a DE, but won't embrace the soaps and lather. She still uses canned cream/gel.

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The secret thereis to be sure when she orders hers it's something you like too...

Canned goo....it's ok to say it. Gooooo. Even the useable stuff like barbasol is goo. That is just higher level usable goo.

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

The good news is y'all can share equipment. You are on the precipice of making your hobby expenses into family budget items. Does she have a favorite color? Get her a brush handle to thrill her and install the same knot as "your" brush. Plenty of soap scents that us guys use that the ladies like, too. Even some post shave products that cross the line.

twhite, AGHisBBS, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  11. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

While my wife can't understand my affinity for SR's, she loves when I use her Lady Gillette to do her legs for her. Her favorite scents are from Mickey Lee Soap works and Shave My Face.

Keep up the positive encouragement with mamma and good job.

twhite, AGHisBBS, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  12. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

10/4- I really was trying not to say it, but that's what it is. :)

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

If @Bama Samurai gives you grief let me know.

wristwatchb, MR41, RyX and 2 others like this.
  14. Grimpen

Grimpen Member

My wife was finally fed up with either overly expensive cartridges or crappy disposables just last month. Got her a nice lavender Parker 29R, an Omega brush, and Taylor of Bond Street coconut soap. I've been using SE shavette styles for years now, and I suddenly realized that I didn't actually know much about using a DE safety razor vs. shavettes vs. cartridge, so I finally joined TSD rather than just ending up here when googling reviews.
    My eldest daughter got into SE shavettes without any prompting from me (I suspect she might be a hipster).
    Seriously though, women do a lot more shaving than men typically, at least they have a lot more surface area that is regularly shaved. I kind of wish there were more soap and razor handle options geared towards women. But then, I already have enough of a razor and soap collection, maybe we don't need more :)

RyX, mrchick, theFAT98 and 1 other person like this.
  15. dustmite

I have my eye on a purple swirl brush for her...

RyX, mrchick, George X and 1 other person like this.
  16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    AND...my wife uses a disposable Trac II and bath soap.

AGHisBBS, RyX, mrchick and 1 other person like this.
  17. George X

George X Well-Known Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrchick likes this.
  18. dustmite

Mine's still using some kind of 5 blade cartridge, but I figure if I can get her using a proper soap, maybe she'll try a real razor again one of these days... She used one of my injectors awhile back, and liked everything but the short handle. Maybe I'll start a search for a long handled Schick...

AGHisBBS, RyX, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

But some goo smells pretty nice, though.

wristwatchb, MR41 and RyX like this.
  20. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

My wife took my VDH razor and one of my Stirling soaps a couple of months back to shave her legs and loves it.

I'm quite sure that I'm not getting that razor back.

AGHisBBS, RyX, Bama Samurai and 4 others like this.