Rockwell Owners Adjustable Razors Club (ROARC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tuxxdk, Jun 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I decided to directly compare my two favorite razors: the Merkur Futur and the Rockwell 6s. The Futur had cured my RAD for about a year, until I held a Rockwell at the Maggard's meet last month. Daunted by the price of the 6s, I traded for a 2c, the budget chrome model, and loved the shaves it gave. Within 48 hours of getting the 2c, I ordered a 6s. Amazingly close and above all comfortable shaves followed one after the other.
    Today I used the Futur set on six (as usual for me) on my right, and the 6s with R6 plate on the left , both with a new voskhod blade. Wholly Kaw Monaco Royale provided the lather. I did three passes, and I have to say the Rockwell is superior. I could feel the blade much more with the Futur - it felt on the verge of nicking, but the 6s was butter smooth all the way. I also found that the 6s did a better job along my jawline - closer and more comfortable there.
    It's not a blow out, but the Rockwell is noticably better for me - the best combination of efficiency and comfort I've found so far.
    Prep: Chattilon Lux butter
    Soap: Wholly Kaw Monaco Royale
    Brush: Brothers Bristles Bronze Shadow
    Razors: Merkur Futur (6), Rockwell 6s R6
    Blade: voskhod
    AS: Wholly Kaw Monaco Royale Toner

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

For me there is no comparison. The Futur is like a dull paint scraper compared to the refined and smooth 6S.
    The 6S is my current favorite bar none and likely to remain so for a long time, unless my soon to arrive Rocnel SE-G is better, but I doubt it.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Tdmsu and Puma like this.
  3. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen the Rhodium plated 6s from RazorEmporium?

4. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

No, but will it shave better?

5. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt it, and I won't be paying to find out. However, there might be a guy out there that hates the standard finish, but loves his Rockwell enough to buy another one at almost double the price.

6. sky pilot 83

sky pilot 83 Active Member

If it was a high polished head and then rhodium plated and maintained that mirror polish It'd be renamed the "Rockwell game changer"... And I'd want 2...

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

7. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

Two reviews on razoremporium's site say that it is more of a matte finish.

8. sky pilot 83

sky pilot 83 Active Member

Right, all they're doing is rhodium plating a 6S. The 6S has a textured finish which would result in a matte finish after plating. If the razor was polished a but before plating it could easily be buffed to a mirror finish. Which would make feel smoother on the skin.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

Puma likes this.
  9. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Would the polish plus the rhodium be similar to a DLC coating?

10. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

DLC is carbon, and it is black or dark gray. Rhodium is a metal and very shiny. Like a high quality chrome or nickel. It is probably as hard and tough as DLC. As mentioned above, the rhodium plated R6s's aren't as shiny as they could be because plating takes on some characteristics of the item's surface. The matte look is due to the texture of Rockwell's standard bead blasted finish. If they polished it, it would be really shiny and smooth.

Gnomeo0228 and Tdmsu like this.
  11. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Thank you for that explanation. My second question relates to shave quality - I've heard DLC makes for a smoother shave, should I assume rhodium would also?

12. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

It might, but I wouldn't assume it. I've never used a razor with DLC, or Ikon's B1 for that matter, which is similar, but more glossy. If you have your lather and technique right all razors should glide nicely over the skin. The surface of the razor will not cause more drag than the blade.

Tdmsu likes this.
  13. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Please add me to the list, Have the 6S and on T wait list @ram57

tuxxdk and Tdmsu like this.
  14. nvpliers

nvpliers Member

IMG_3058.JPG

For those looking for another option to spruce up the aesthetics of their Rockwell 6s, Delta Echo does nice work. This is mine done in "Black Chrome and Copper".

15. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Nice! What did that run you, if you don't mind me asking?

16. nvpliers

nvpliers Member

Thanks. Because I got the razor/plates AND stand, they are asking $120. BUT if you only want the razor and plates done, their price is 95 bucks.

Tdmsu likes this.
  17. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Cool. I may consider that sometime.

nvpliers likes this.
  18. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Waiting for the 6c to join my6s

Tdmsu likes this.
  19. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Here's an interesting item...

A rather short-lived thread on another forum (the thread literally disappeared while I was responding to it) showed a comparison chart of various Rockwell razors, including a TTO called a "Rockwell R1". I can't seem to find the chart on their site, but did find a reference to such a razor at BarberSupplies.com.

From the looks of it, it is a rebranded Baili TTO and is intended as an "entry level" razor.[/URL]

PumperNickel-BageL likes this.
  20. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

There's a shocker.

PickledNorthern likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.