Use vintage Avon aftershave and cologne? Me? (Yes, you!)

Discussion in 'Articles' started by gorgo2, Oct 16, 2011.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That's the model of the car, a 1923 Maxwell.

Paul Turner likes this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Tribute is one of the classier, more refined ones they did. Can't recall what brand name it's an analogue for.

Paul Turner likes this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

There's a little info about Tribute HERE.

gorgo2 and Enrico like this.
  6. Paul Turner

Thanks, @RyX

RyX likes this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

You're welcome Paul. After reading the reviews about it I'll be watching for a bottle of my own. ;)

Paul Turner likes this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've mixed up some Avon Leather and Pinaud Lime 50/50 very nice.

gorgo2 and RyX like this.
  9. Masonjarjar

Masonjarjar Active Member

Hello.. I haven't been on this site in forever, but I wanted to join in. I've got a small collection going and always enjoy wearing my finds. It started with Captains Pride Oland and Riverboat Wild Country and kind of snowballed from there! I recently found a bunch in an antique store in Akron called Stagecoach Antiques.

IMG_2840 (3).JPG

10. Masonjarjar

I'm lucky, I'm 3 for 3 with Oland. Captain's Pride, Liberty Bell and Bucking Bronco with Cowboy. All were full and all smell identical and great.. That makes 17 ounces! Of which I've probably used 1 oz!

RyX and gorgo2 like this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'm curious what that King Kong thing is!

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Is that Bay Rum empty? If not, it's good stuff.

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm not a fan of Bay Rums because of the clove scent. If you are interested in an auction listing of a 1981 production run bottle of Avon, PM me. (Hint; it's not on the bay)

gorgo2 likes this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The original Avon bay rums (early '60s, in the jug, barrel and square bottles) doesn't have clove, which is why I had a huge container of it at one time (I hate clovey BRs). The stuff they came out with in '81 is disgusting because of, I think, vanilla. Makes me gag! Thank you for the offer though!

Paul Turner and RyX like this.
  15. Masonjarjar

It's about half full (it's a 4oz bottle) and smells fantastic. I haven't used it yet. I was informed that those "normal" Spicy and Bay Rum bottles are from the early 60's.

gorgo2 likes this.
  16. Masonjarjar

It's a whiskey decanter dating from the time of the 1976 film. There's a little left in it, maybe enough for a few shots. I haven't even thought about trying it. I just looked it up and apparently it was from Jim Beam. It was my grandfather's and I always wanted it because I was a huge King Kong fan when I was kid.

gorgo2 and RyX like this.
  17. Paul Turner

FYI-Phoenix A.A. Bay Rums have zero, zilch, nada, nein, nyet clove scent. Quite encouraging.

RyX likes this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Another option is home made Bay Rum. Easy to *not* put something in.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

19. Paul Turner

quite right.

20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I had the Volkswagen as a teenager. Don't remember the scent. Wish I had it now.

Paul Turner likes this.