Old-Type is difficult to shave with but the best post-shave BBS experience.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tim Spencer, Jun 25, 2017.

1. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Just acquired this 1911 OLD at the fleamarket this morning:
    IMG_0661.JPG
    This will be my next blade Focus. Looking forward to the challenge!

jmudrick and jtspartan like this.
  2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Nice stuff. Why is it all the ones I find are clones :)

3. RetLEO-07

Send in the clones?
    :happy097:

4. Bookworm

Sure, why not. We already have the clowns. :p

5. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

Actually mid- aggressive which I step up or tone down by the blade, but considering my faves are the feathers, I don't know. I use my fat boy and slim on 8 with a feather. Go figure.

6. RetLEO-07

I'm four days away from starting a blade Focus with my newly acquired OLD. I'm chomping at the bit. I'm on my last blade for the Krona, so I'll have a five razor rotation.

jtspartan likes this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You are going to love the single ring. A OLD type is no harder to use then a tech once the technique is solid. Just another fun razor.

jtspartan likes this.
  8. Bookworm

I've enjoyed the clone I've used a few times for shaving after a week's hiatus. I'll stand by the assertion that they're really designed for the older, stiffer blades, and a bit bouncy with the newer blades. Not a problem for me when I was using it, as I was moving slowly to take off a lot of hair, so not much room to chatter. (The actual OLD I used was the same way)

Hoping that the one that I just ordered will be a true SR so I can try the Real Thing(tm)

9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I think this is where folks get confused by assuming that increasing blade gap equals increasing aggression. It doesn't. With many razors adding a shim while increasing blade gap actually reduces aggression by increasing blade stability.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

10. Bookworm

I think that also depends on where you cut the shim. Many of the shims I have seen were less than two thirds the width of the blade they were shimming, which would mean that the edge of the blade loses support.

11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yep. Most often I'm shimming to increase stability and therefore careful to trim just the edge.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

12. RetLEO-07

Okay fellas, the two tucks I was waiting on have arrived. So Sunday, the 1911 OLD shaves again!! First blade up is going to be my baseline, the Gillette Silver Blue. Then the following will be auditioned: Shark Super Chrome, Voskhod, Rapira Platinum Lux and PolSilver. Any one of these would be fine with me. It's gonna be fun!

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You going to shim it...or put a different handle on it...or paint it a different color?????

14. RetLEO-07

Ah, no, no and no. YO!

15. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Found one at the antique store the other day but every tooth on it was bent so i left it sitting. I hated to leave it because other than that it looked good.

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Some times those bent teeth can be eased into shape.
    YO indeed....

Proceed along the path.

17. RetLEO-07

IMG_0698.JPG
    Looks just like the kit I found at the fleamarket. Too bad the box is so roached out. But I guess I might look the same way at 106! :)

Jim99 and jimjo1031 like this.
  18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup the Single Ring. I think the razor looks great. Who cares about the box. My 1909 box looks rough too.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  19. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

So after reading this thread, I decided to pull out my very little-used Old Type.

I'm packing for a business trip and wanted to bring my General with a Schick ProLine I just received from Try-A-Blade. Knowing I'd have to shave every day this week, I backed myself up with my Parker Variant - my usual travel DE. I checked the blade and found a Kai. Here's where it starts....

So I take the Kai out of the variant and load it into the Old Type. I run down to my computer, throw on my magnifying visor to get the code off the Old Type...323929. Dates to 19o5...112 years old!!!

F-it! I am shaving right now, even though I really don't need to.. I decide that a tallow soap might be best, grab my old The Freedberg tallow RR soap...great stuff. Whip up a batch and begin my dicey Old Type shave.

I took my sweet time, almost applying negative pressure. 3 passes and one of the closest shaves I have aver experienced!!! No kidding!!! One tiny, unmentionable weeper.

I skipped the alum, went right for some Nivea Sensitive. I was immmediately informed by my wife that Nivea is her favorite AS....in spite of the dozens of others I have acquired due to ASAD...I'll learn some day.

Old Type...wow!!!!!

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Picture or it does not exist. :cool: . They do give a great shave.

RetLEO-07 likes this.