July 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jun 30, 2017.

?

Which of the following will you use during July?

1. Traditional Straight Razor

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. DE Safety razor

37 vote(s)
    77.1%
  3. SE razor

21 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. Popsicle Stick Razor

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. Sharpened Ax

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Katana sword

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. Slightly sharpened butter knife

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. Cookies. I'm here for the cookies. Why, oh why do you torment us this way?

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  9. Pain Stick

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  10. Shavette

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

On prep:

Razor bevels remove quite a bit of skin. The need for prep is probably overstated. If new guys are having mystery irritation, I will recommend "skip prep".

Prep for me means clean. A simple wash with soapy fingers or a gentle cloth. No scrubbing! Rinse and lather up, using the coldest water that's comfy. Heat is good for prepping hair, but it adds to inflammatory processes in the skin. It's a balancing act that should probably be dictated by outcome and not desire. I promise cold water is more comfy than all-day shaving irritation!

There are many people who do a lot of prep and have comfy close shaves, and this post is not for them. Whatever level of prep that results in irritation free shaves is the right amount. But for new converts, none just might be worth a try in an effort to solve irritation.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

You'll be there soon! Thanks for the mention, and I'm glad it helped.

3. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Like you, I used to think it was very important, but now I'm not so sure. I've done no prep accept cold water and witch hazel lately and I'm getting great results.

4. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Over the years, the only prep I've discovered to be important for MY shave is to make sure that my face and hair are clean, before applying whatever shaving product I happen to have, be it gel, canned foam, body wash, or soap. If I don't, then I end up with drags and skips for at least the first pass. I've never tried applying a pre-shave oil. I did try a hot towel, and found that simply washing my face was more useful.

5. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

When I started Focussing last October, I did a thorough prep first. If I wasn't having a hot shower first, I scrubbed my face thoroughly with a special cleanser (most often Dove for Men Exfoliating Scrub but sometimes Cetaphil or Trisan Antibacterial), then rinsed with hot water and held a hot washcloth over my beard area for a couple minutes. Then I shaved.

Now, if I haven't showered first, I simply wipe my face with a warm wet washcloth to get rid of any grime and to get some water on my skin, and start shaving away. Honestly, I don’t notice any difference in the shave result or I wouldn't be so slapdash in my prep now.

Of course, that's assuming I don’t have a few days' growth to hack through. If I haven't shaved for several days and am shaving off a short beard scruff then I still do a prep more like I used to. But for a normal everyday shave, prep no longer seems important.

I did try preshave oil at one point - and still have a bottle of it around here somewhere - but I found all it did for me was to clog up my razor.

6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

My prep consists of a shower and always has. I step out, lather up with cool water and shave. It's simple and works.

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Thanks guys for the reply.
    Except that I use warm water like GAWD intended that is my routine usually.

8. mrchick

Try cold.
    I'll never go back. It's refreshing and I have less irritation.

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Nope. Not going to anger GAWD.

I have used cold water when there is no hot. It happens and I deal with it fine. I have cast iron skin. No irritation problems for the most part.

10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have a tough beard so I always prep. I use one of:
    Proraso pre
    Nivea cream
    Hair conditioner

Are usually shave after my shower.

11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

July 9, 2017
    OneBlade Core V1
    Feather FHS-10
    30 DC LE with Omega Boar
    Mystic Water Raspberry Lemon
    Folsom & Co Shambala

[​IMG]

My 30 day trial on the OneBlade Core is up on 7/15 so I wanted to take use it several more times to insure my opinion has not changed. The more important part of today's shave is the maiden shave of the 30 DC LE brush. The handle arrived last Thursday so I immediately transplanted the knot from an Omega 20107. @jtspartan Jason nailed the handle with excellent ergonomics and a gorgeous finish. The MW Raspberry Lemon really didn't have a chance with the 30 DC LE whipping up a nice slick lather. Based on my prior experience with the Core, I went with a thinner slicker lather. Three passes and touchups equaled the shaves from the Cobra. A splash of F&C Shambala and I am ready for good day. Wade and I are going for a motorcycle ride this morning and should be back in time for tacos and beers for a late lunch. I hope everyone has a great Sunday.

:transport016:

Drygulch, Linuxguile, MR41 and 12 others like this.
  12. Fup

Fup Well-Known Member

When I first started I read how important prep was and used shea butter between my shower and shave. Now I just shower, don't dry my face and shave. I find all the shaving soaps I use have plenty of goodness for skin already and leave my face feeling great as long as I get enough water in the lather. Any issues I have are just technique.

I think today is going to be a day of rest shaving wise. Happy shaving!

13. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great picture, Clint! Enjoy your ride.

14. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

IMG_0401.JPG

Jul 9 SOTD:

Stirling Synthetic Brush
    Stirling Glastonbury
    Gillette Red Tip
    Rapira PL (11)
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Stirling Glastonbury AS

It was a nice DFS this morning after two days of no shaves. I had a very late night Thursday and an early morning Friday flight from LAX to IAH, so I skipped the shave. Yesterday, I got to some yard work quickly (my wife is redoing our flower beds, so I get to help out), and by the time I was done with everything, it was late in the afternoon. It was definitely a welcome shave this morning. Everything came together nicely, and the blade is still going strong after 11 shaves.

I never got around to posting the 10th shave with the blade:

IMG_0402.JPG

Jul 6 SOTD:

Razorock Plissoft Brush
    CO Bigelow SC
    Gillette Old Type
    Rapira PL (10)
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Proraso Green AS

I hope everyone has a great Sunday!

Drygulch, Linuxguile, Paul76 and 13 others like this.
  15. mrchick

Today was a nice four pass shave before a busy morning. I'm donating plasma right now, then the monthly antiques fair, then church.
    SOTD
    Nancy Boy Signature Cream
    TSD 30 DC LE Brush
    Dovo Bismarck #2 Razor
    Lucky Tiger
    Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve
    Have a blessed Sunday![​IMG]
    Grandson update
    [​IMG]

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Awesome pic Pops!!

17. mrchick

Thank you!

18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs011: Although I like hot water.

19. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

My current mission to spend time with unused razors, soaps and creams this month expanded a bit to include creams that I bought and tried once or twice prior to my first 30 day focus (which was required to develop proper technique) and prior to my exposure to bigger world of soaps and artisan products. So, day 2 with the Delta Echo (their own private label) Cubano and a trial of Speik. This is a highly regarded cream that smells of the rare Speik plant grown in some remote region of the Alps (and hand collected and crushed by young, blonde, fair skinned Alpine girls I'm sure). The cream did it's job, and created a nice lather, but didn't live up to all the hype for me. Not enough residual slickness after each pass to clean up with. I added water to thin it out and try to get it slicker, but it just wasn't there. Again, nice unique smell from the Speik plant, and it did it's job just fine. It just doesn't make my top tier. The Delta Echo, however is continuing to deliver a much closer shave than any of my vintage Gillettes.

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Good man!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.