July 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jun 30, 2017.

?

Which of the following will you use during July?

1. Traditional Straight Razor

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. DE Safety razor

37 vote(s)
    77.1%
  3. SE razor

21 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. Popsicle Stick Razor

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. Sharpened Ax

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Katana sword

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. Slightly sharpened butter knife

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. Cookies. I'm here for the cookies. Why, oh why do you torment us this way?

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  9. Pain Stick

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  10. Shavette

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you Keith. I'm still beside myself with joy

2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0699.JPG
    9 July 2017 1911 OLD Blade Focus Shave

Pre: Hot water, soap off the puck and a hot towel
    Razor: Gillette 1911 OLD Type
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
    Brush: Omega 10098
    Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap
    Post: Hot/cold rinse, alum block, cold towelx2, Dominello Vitali Calming Post Shave Moisturizer
    After Shave: Fine "American Blend"

Today was my first shave with the 1911 OLD. There was less trepidation than when I've shaved with some other vintage Gillettes. I was respectful, but not intimidated. The MWF provided a great slick lather. My Omega 10098 created enough that I could've had a 4 pass shave. But all that was necessary was my normal 2.5 passes. After two there wasn't much left. Just my normal lower neck issue. Some careful J hooking smoothed that out. The GSB again showed why it's my baseline. Smooth and non-irritating.
    To finish off a great first shave with my OLD, I splashed on some "American Blend" and Sunday was up and running.
    Tomorrow it's Catie's Bubbles "Sunrise ". Night, y'all.

3. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

July 9 - back to a Stirling favorite

SR WTG
    Rockwell 6C XTG
    AOS 23 mm Pure Badger
    DIY PSO
    Stirling Piacenza soap
    Alum/Thayer's

It has breen some time since I used Piacenza. Love the scent. Great slick lather. I did not shave yesterday so this was going to be a test for me with the straight. WTG went well. Got my first straight 'marks'. I was positioning the razor and had the blade too steep and got a blade mark. No real blood came out at all. Looked more like a thinning of the skin like a scrape. It looks red but nothing came out. Of course I didn't learn the first time and did this twice. I do not know if the alum on my fingers shut them down before they could bleed or what.

Once bitten, I decided to finish off with a XTG Rockwell 6C. I have no idea how old the Rockwell blade is in that razor. All I know was that it did a nice smooth job. Since I have work in the morning, I decided to leave it with a excellent CCS or near DFS. For a two pass over two days growth, I was impressed.

Alum was between a tingle and a sting which is the best I have done with a straight so far. Unfortunately with the way mornings go, I think I will hold off with the SR since I tend so shave in the shower and I am not going to risk injury should I drop it.

Stirling has great post shave properties and so I do not miss nor need a Balm after this shave.

MR41, Drygulch, Linuxguile and 11 others like this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Sunday Shave

Back home so it is time for a straight razor shave. The razor of choice was a freshly honed PRC Damascus 7/8. I honed on Naniwa SS 1,3,5,8,12k then a pasted strop. The razor passed all my tests, it was tree topping hair and looked good under the loop. The edge was a bit rough and not as sharp as like but sharp enough to shave with. Four passes and zero irritation but well short of BBS, a solid SAS.

Irritation A+ Closeness B+ Smoothness B+ Sharpness B+

MR41, Drygulch, Linuxguile and 9 others like this.
  5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

July 2017 - Time to straighten up!

July 8,9 - Medical Time Out

Razor - None
    Blade - None
    Soap - None
    Brush - None
    Post - None

Health issues have intervened on my shaves for the past two evenings. Nothing terribly serious. I woke up early Saturday morning (4 a.m. early) with a severe case of chills and a lot of pain associated with it. Turned out to be cramps and just the misery of a fever that broke a couple of hours later. I did work Saturday but didn't feel like myself most of the day. The good news - it was a good day for sales even if I was a bit down. Last night I ate light and crashed early. Felt better this morning so went to work but I'm tired and a bit shaky so skipping another day. Just don't feel like handling sharp objects. Symptoms seem to indicate a bug of some sort, nothing to do with my pancreas which is good news. I should be back on my feet tomorrow to resume a bit of normalcy.

For now I'm hitting the hay early again to hopefully be able to enjoy my first two days off in two weeks. Have a great start to your week!

ebola-quarantine-area.jpg

MR41, Drygulch, Linuxguile and 15 others like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Irritation is really the only reason to try cold. If warm leads to good results....that is what GAWD really wants.

7. Bama Samurai

Cute kid!

8. Bama Samurai

Is it just me, or is there a trend here....more experienced people tend (in general) to do very little prep beyond basic washing?

9. Bama Samurai

I did too. Forgot to do it one day, and results were good, so I don't do it anymore. I think it might help at first, but once angle and pressure are mastered lather is enough to make the razor glide.

10. Bama Samurai

Either you, Miami, ATL or LV for the AC title.

Drygulch, clint64, Norcalnewb and 3 others like this.
  11. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Hope you get to feeling better and soon!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

12. Bama Samurai

July 2017
    Sheep Sunday Edition

IMG_1414.JPG

Another Grail. One ATG for the win. Day 13 blade. Other than that...all is quiet in Colorado.

Have a magnificent Monday!
    :)

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That was the point to my asking that here. It seems to me that is the trend....I was checking it out.

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You need to pick up a debugger soon you know .....get to feeling better fast.

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Normal.jpg That word I don't think.png
    Hoping for your smooth return to normal Neal!
    Do you know what happens here when no one's steering the short bus?

MR41, Drygulch, SharptoothC and 8 others like this.
  16. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I'm a little behind in the thread! In terms of prep and technique, I used to use a preshave oil for probably the first 3 months or so and haven't used it since. Don't need it or miss it.
    I always shave right after showering. Always did even in my cart days. If I wait a bit, I don't seem to enjoy it as much. Don't know if that is a technique thing.

17. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

When it comes to prep or any change in routine, do half a face for a week and see if it makes a difference. If it does, stick with it if it is an improvement. Otherwise, change.

Only opinion you need is your own.

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Hope you feel better soon.

19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you Clint.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

20. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks very much Jim. It's a great bowl.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.