Romera Brushes

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Karl G, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience comparing the Romera Premium Silvertip to the Manchurian? I'm especially interested in how the softness of their tips compare. Likewise, if you can compare the Romera Manchurian to the silvertips of others I'd be interested in that as well.

Thanks for any insights you can offer. :eatdrink047:

Keithmax and Douglas Carey like this.
  2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

You might want to PM @ram57. I believe he has experience with Romera Premium knots.

Karl G likes this.
  3. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

:thanks: I know there is at least one other member interested in this topic so hopefully he'll show up here to weigh in. Otherwise incoming PM for @ram57.

Keithmax and Douglas Carey like this.
  4. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I have heard that they are great knots. I don't have one yet.

Karl G likes this.
  5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I'm the other interested person. I have a Romero silver tip and very pleased with it, soft tips, good density yet good flow through. The brush looks cool too. Curious to hear how their other knots compare.

Karl G likes this.
  6. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Own 3 Romera Manchurian knots and one of his Silvertips as Aremor stated his silvertips were overstuffed with velvet tips. Hard to say how much overstuffed his silvertip is as I don't reach for regular ST that much anymore but would say they about the same or little more denser than T&H which are Rooney Silvetips with 15-18% denser than regular Rooney brushes and yes I do have T&H and Rooney in my den. The tips are indeed soft but I reach for the Manchurian for the better backbone plus my Romera Manchurian have gel tips and I found these Manchurians to be softer gel tips than my Simpsons so sold off my Simpsons. I found the 3 Simpson Manchurians to be too scratchy for my liking. Softest gel tips I have come across for me have been the Blonde Badgers, Manchurian from Tipsoft and the ultimate gel tips was from Declaration Brush Works and he does sell the knots separately. I have the original brushworks Manchurian and now he has a B3 version and he admits changing the knot so no idea how soft these new knots are that he is selling. BUT, if you can live with the long ship wait for Romera knots they are worth it for the price. I haven't come across a cheaper Manchurian knot though I have heard Elite Razor sells a very good Manchurian for under $70 but haven't tried one out yet and haven't been on the site to verify the price.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    Karl G and Keithmax like this.
  7. Keithmax

:thanks:

ram57 likes this.
  8. ram57

Anytime to help a fellow enabler!

Keithmax likes this.
  9. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Great information - thanks! How would you compare the softness of the Romera silvertip to the softness of the Romera Manchurian? :signs002:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    Redrock likes this.
  10. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I have these two Romera brushes. On the left is a Rustic Chubby Briar wood with the Premium Silvertip knot. On the right is a La Dame Bubinga wood with the Manchurian Finest fan knot. Both for me are excellent knots and have their own characteristics. The Manchurian is "stiffer" and has more backbone. The Silvertip is dreamy smooth and soft. Both work with hard and soft soaps, sticks, and creams. Both work with bowl, scuttle, and face lathering. These knots have a reputation for being among the best available. I am completely satisfied with both. Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Romera.jpg

11. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Beautiful brushes. Your comments make the choice tough. I was leaning towards a Premium Silvertip 28mm fan Chubby but Gustavo suggests the Manchurian. I really like the super soft tips of my Savile Row silvertip and regret settling for super badger instead of silvertip in my T&H Wellington. Hence, I'm still thinking of going with the silvertips.

Is the softness very noticeable between the two? That's really the key question for me.

Do you have a sense of whether going with premium in a chubby fan will be too floppy? If I go Manchurian it would be a 51mm loft with the 28mm knot. If going with the Silvertip maybe I should reduce the loft by a mm or two?

I take it it's a trade-off of somewhat more backbone vs. somewhat softer tips. Is that about it?

Finally, would you mind sharing the dimensions of those two brushes?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    Keithmax, Redrock and GatorJoe like this.
  12. ram57

Concur with Ed. My Manchurians have the hook gel tips when wet so little softer tips with better backbone that the silvertip but overall both are wonderful knots and worth the money.

Keithmax, Redrock and Karl G like this.
  13. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Both have a 26mm base and a 50mm loft. For me, when they are lathered up, there is no noticeable difference in the tips....just the backbone of which the Manchurian is "stiffer". I can't see whether going a millimeter or two in a different direction in width/loft would make much difference or the shape of the knot. I'll leave this to the experts. If I was forced to make a choice between the two, I would choose the Manchurian in a fan. My preference leans toward the backbone and I still have the nice soft tips. Hope this helps.

Keithmax and Karl G like this.
  14. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Thanks @Redrock and @ram57. With no real difference in the tips it makes the choice easy. Manchurian it is! :happy036:

ram57 likes this.
  15. Keithmax

Thank you

Redrock likes this.
  16. ram57

I have 4 Savile Rows and I would take the Savile over the Romera Silvertips.

Karl G likes this.