July 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jun 30, 2017.

?

Which of the following will you use during July?

1. Traditional Straight Razor

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. DE Safety razor

37 vote(s)
    77.1%
  3. SE razor

21 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. Popsicle Stick Razor

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. Sharpened Ax

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Katana sword

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. Slightly sharpened butter knife

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. Cookies. I'm here for the cookies. Why, oh why do you torment us this way?

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  9. Pain Stick

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  10. Shavette

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thank you Jim!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Drygulch, RyX, SharptoothC and 2 others like this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Another fine outdoors shoot, Doug!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Drygulch, RyX, SharptoothC and 2 others like this.
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Jason you have allot of good karma from the brush project. I say go for it and do it the way you want to do it.

Drygulch, RyX, SharptoothC and 4 others like this.
  4. Keithmax

Tuesday shave....... and now for something completely different.

I have always admired the Hofritz Slant razors and finally, I obtained a nice example at a reasonable price. Supposedly it is the same as a Merkur slant but now having used both I can say the Hofritz is heavier and does look sharper.

So I picked my favourite DE blade, Iridium Super and went to work. Four passes and a dolphin smooth face but a tiny weeper and just a tickle from the alum, all in all excellent for the first time using this razor.

Irritation A Closeness A+
    IMG_3748.jpg

5. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Excellent picture, Doug!the brush is beautiful.

6. Norcalnewb

+1

Drygulch, RyX, SharptoothC and 3 others like this.
  7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you Jim. Have a good evening.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

8. Norcalnewb

Great looking set Keith! That is one of the razors I still have on my future purchase list.

Drygulch, FaceScraper, RyX and 4 others like this.
  9. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

+1

Drygulch, Keithmax, RyX and 3 others like this.
  10. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

July 10 - XX today

Rockwell 6C/ Rockwell SS blades
    30DC LE brush
    DIY PSO
    Razorock XX soap
    Alum/Thayers/AOS PSB

With a rushed morning I decided not to use the SR and instead grabbed the Rockwell. I either have improved my technique or the Rockwell SS blades are better than I thought.Extremely smooth shave with little irritation with plate 3. BBS achieved with 3 passes. XX has a very nice scent. Lather was thinner than the big names but still more than adequate and nicely slick. For me, I decided to use the Balm for a bit more moisturizer. Alum was tingly to a strong tingle but no burn.

11. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Jason @jtspartan, I would say your costs on the brush project came out "close enough for government work". I doubt anyone else involved is in the least bit worried about it. Personally, I'm glad to hear you came out over rather than under on your shipping cost estimates.

Having said that, the bowls sound like an interesting project. I expect the dowels will prove extremely fiddly, because they will probably have to have only 1/4" or so of protrusion to encourage lathering without tangling up the brush. But it should look neat if you can work it out.

Another approach entirely might be a routered pattern in the inside of the bowl, such as a Celtic knot design.

12. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Great idea on a pattern, John. I'll probably do 'ribs' of some sort as well. That can be done with lathe tools. Any pattern will have to be machined or carved. I actually have zero carving experience.
    Unless I blow a bowl apart, it is tough to screw it up completely. Don't like it as a shaving bowl? Say hello to the new pretzel/peanut bowl...

13. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Brush update, part deux:
    I realize that my Brush Update earlier today was poorly worded. I used the word 'raffle'. What I meant was anyone who got a 30DC handle, I would just put their name in a hat and draw one out for a bowl and then used the extra quid for shipping. Not a 'raffle' per se, as no one needs to send $ or bid... sorry for any confusion.

14. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Monday night, July 10 - getting sloppy

Fatip Grande / Topaz Platinum ( 2 )
    Omega B+B Essential Boar
    Kent MWF in wooden bowl
    Alum and Thayers Witch Hazel Astringent Aftershave (and styptic pencil)

Tonight was a refreshing cold water shave. I used my regular-sized Omega boar brush to whip up The Fat tonight. I realized when I did so how short I now find the handle after using the 30DC LE brush for a month. I almost found it uncomfortably small to hold onto while working the lather in my deep rice bowl.

For a change, I moved my current blade into my Fatip Grande razor. I enjoy using this razor although I have to take extra care with it or it gives me weepers. I didn't take care; I got a weeper -- a scrape just in the crease under the right corner of my mouth where I tend to get weepers if I slack off on the skin stretching. What happened? I started thinking about how easy the razor was to use tonight and I slackened off on the skin stretching...

I can't blame the prep, the soap, the blade or the razor. This one was all me.

The corner of my mouth was still slowly seeping blood after the cold rinse, alum rub, cold rinse, and alcohol aftershave. I actually had to dig out the styptic pencil to get it to stop. Humiliations galore! Oh well, tomorrow is another shave...

15. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I'm excited for you to visit that handsome little grandson. I would be beyond excited.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Drygulch, PLAla, FaceScraper and 5 others like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It's amazing how much difference good stretches really make. It's a safety issue with open blades, but the technique makes any razor safer, and will maximize whatever geometry is in play. Many times it's probably the difference between DFS and disaster. We probably don't emphasize this enough. Good post.

Drygulch, wchnu, PLAla and 11 others like this.
  17. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you. I'm so excited!

Drygulch, PLAla, FaceScraper and 6 others like this.
  18. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Well, since I finally got a non-clone SR, and everyone else was using theirs, I decided to be a masochist.

5 or so days of beard, plus the leftovers from the Hong Long disaster (scrape by my mouth)
    1918 Single Ring
    ARKO
    VDH Boar brush
    and
    Dollar Store Personna.

The first pass was a bit rough, but I expected that and just took my time. Almost all beard gone with one WTG pass. Second WTG pass cleaned everything else up with no tugging or pulling. Decent shave, but I wouldn't put it in my top 20, by any means. No ATG or extra buffing due to not wanting to risk hitting any still healing spots. One tiny nick under the nose right at the crease, self-sealing. Next time, I'll try an Astra.

Oh - I did have to adjust the blade in the razor before clamping it down. Apparently the Personna, at least, are a big bigger in the 'hole' area than the original blades.

[​IMG]

19. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I'm in Kentucky with my youth group for a missions camp this week, so I am having a mini forced focus. My setup this week? La Toja, Dovo Shavette, Maggard Plissoft. Cold water shaves. Proraso Green AS. Simple and effective.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Drygulch, wchnu, PLAla and 12 others like this.
  20. Keithmax

What kind of blade are you using in the Dovo Shavette?

Drygulch, PLAla, Bama Samurai and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.