July 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jun 30, 2017.

?

Which of the following will you use during July?

1. Traditional Straight Razor

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. DE Safety razor

37 vote(s)
    77.1%
  3. SE razor

21 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. Popsicle Stick Razor

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. Sharpened Ax

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Katana sword

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. Slightly sharpened butter knife

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. Cookies. I'm here for the cookies. Why, oh why do you torment us this way?

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  9. Pain Stick

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  10. Shavette

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

July 11 - Time to visit Dr Jon.

Rockwell 6C/Rockwell SS
    French Vanilla (JR#72) brush
    DIY PSO
    Dr Jon's 1803 soap
    ALum/Thayers/ AOS PSB

I was a little reluctant to try Dr Jon's soaps. For some reason, I thought they might be just another simple ingredient list, vegan soap. I have not had lots of luck with simple ingredient list soaps. Because of a winning PIF, I decided to give it a go. Thank you SHAVEWIZARD420

I find the more complex the list, the better the chance that they are good. This soap was excellent! The scent is a little odd and i find it to be a complex of fruit and florals. Site lists it as
    . I am not in love with the scent but it is OK. Performance was great. I wet the brush and did a single shake and squeezed the water into my bowl. With damp brush, I loaded for about 20-25 seconds. I must have had over a tablespoon of water in there and proceeded to whip it. The resulting lather was nice and thick to my surprise. It also was very slick. This soap, I believe, is the older formulation since the ingredients do not match the current site's listing. If they found a way to make this stuff better, my hat is off to them. It already was very good. When I got some of the lather on my hand, even after rinsing, I had plenty of residual slickness. 6C got a BBS in 3 passes. Today with an early morning deployment for work and the need to drop my daughter off at camp, I was in a rush. I think the entire 3 passes took 6-7 minutes. It was my fastest shave with a DE to date, I am sure. Alum was tingly and only in a spot or two was a bit on the stronger tingly side. Excellent shave in all.

On an aside, I think my short bout with the SR has improved my DE shaves. Maybe I am more focused or better at 'feeling' the blade or what I am not sure. So far,it seems my shaves are improving.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    RyX, SharptoothC, Fup and 8 others like this.
  2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Excellent black & white Perry.

3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

It's nice to see "sophisticated" as part of a scent or product description.

RyX, SharptoothC, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Doug. You caught me in the black part of the handle. :D

RyX, SharptoothC, Norcalnewb and 3 others like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Tuesday, July 11
    [​IMG]
    Boellis Panama 1924~~Thäter Fünf~~Mühle R41 ('11)~~Perma-Sharp (1)
    Tried a Perma-Sharp blade....Meh! Rough. Glad I only bought a few.

RyX, SharptoothC, Fup and 11 others like this.
  6. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

July 11, 2017

Razor: Schick J1 Injector
    Blade: Personna
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft 22
    Cream: KMF fragrance-free

The L1 didn't arrive yesterday as I had hoped so today's shave was with the J1. Two passes and a bit of touchup for a BBS with no issues.

The L1 finally arrived a little while ago, but still needs to be cleaned some more. Meanwhile, tomorrow is my birthday and the planned shave is with my birth quarter Aristocrat Adjustable. (Since I was born in 1961, I guess the J1 qualifies as "birth era".)

Linuxguile, RyX, SharptoothC and 10 others like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

sold my red tip to a buddy(30 day focus razor choice) and purchased an m-1 slim adjustable in very nice condition.birthyear but not quarter.back to my tried ,trusted and loved #20 gillette flare tip rocket.red tip gave my some nice shaves if i had heavy growth.a little to much for every day though for me.i am happy enough with my rockets and #22 aristocrat.they are aggressive enough for me.bought the slim adjustable for historical reasons mainly.is my birthyear but the slim is the last all brass razor built by gillette.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    RyX, SharptoothC, wchnu and 6 others like this.
  8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy096:

RyX, Norcalnewb and clint64 like this.
  9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Mongoose B2 w/Timeless Dimpled Handle
    Blade: Feather (3)
    Brush: El Druida Red Heart Chakte Kok/African Blackwood 2 Band Badger
    Soap: Timeless Signature Bay Rum
    A/S: Myrsol Blue
    Bowl: Tom's 3-D Nylon White

This is an excellent shave bowl. I don't remember 3 BBS or so close to a BBS in a row for a long time. This equipment for 3 passes and a slight touch up under the chin.
    11 07 17a.jpg

Linuxguile, RyX, SharptoothC and 8 others like this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

The Mongoose looks great paired with that handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you Clint. This is my favorite Timeless handle. I like the shorter and lighter handle.

12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Wednesday shave:

Today's razor is a Filarmonica that still has the edge Glen put on it. The razor has a number of shaves on it and is still very sharp and smooth. Four passes shave but one weeper that prevents me from giving the shave an A+ for irritation. Other than the weeper zero irritation and a smooth face.

I have not been giving full disclosure so going forward I will try to include the details.

Prep: Proraso pre-post
    Soap: Razo Rock P.160
    Brush: Shavemac silver tip
    Post: Homemade AS featuring Alt Insbruck, Aloe water, vitamin E and witch hazel.
    Scent: Sonoma Scent Studios Champange de Bois

Irritation A Closeness A Smoothness A Sharpness A+
    IMG_3753.jpeg

Linuxguile, clint64, RyX and 8 others like this.
  13. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Beautiful razor, Doug!

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

IS anyone looking for a X3 SS? Seems to me I read some was looking for a X but can not remember which quarter.

15. Fup

Fup Well-Known Member

Tomorrow is my birthday too! I was born in 1987 so it's the big 3-0.

I bought a soap today from a boutique store in Louisville. The soap is made here and the scent reminds me of Irish Spring soap, which I use, so I couldn't resist picking it up. I might give it a try tomorrow even though I did not bring a bar of Irish Spring with me but oh well. Might as well smell a little Irish to hack off the red hairs.

16. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Tuesday July 11 evening - testing the new lather bowl

Schick Krona / Topaz Platinum ( 1 )
    Jason's non - 30DC Cypress Badger brush
    Kent MWF in wooden tub
    Alum and Thayers Witch Hazel Astringent Aftershave

At the end of May I bought a new lather bowl, a Daiso Japan 12-cm (4 3/4") suribachi bowl. I bought it from a member here, @Vlasta, who lives in Hong Kong. He mailed it promptly on May 30; it arrived today. I might add that @Vlasta was very conscientiously checking in with me for the last few weeks to see if it had arrived yet, and even offered to refund my money last week. I thought he wasn't giving enough credit to the ability of the post office to deliver mail verrry slooowly and told him to hold off on considering it lost. I was impressed by the refund offer, however, and consider @Vlasta to be yet another Denizen it is a pleasure to deal with.

Anyway, here's the new bowl shown in my hand next to tonight's razor and also sitting in my usual rice bowl lathering bowl for comparison, surrounded by tonight's shave gear:

IMG_00000033.jpg IMG_00000031.jpg

I hadn't decided on a brush, so I included my entire current rotation: Alluminati Envy White badger, Jason's non - 30DC Cypress Badger, 30DC LE Maple Cashmere, Supply Provision synthetic and Omega B+B Essential Boar. All excellent brushes, although yesterday I found the Omega felt almost uncomfortably small after a month of using Jason's brushes. Here they are in close up:

IMG_00000032.jpg

In the end Jason's Cypress Badger loaded with The Fat broke in the new lather bowl. I think the suribachi will be great for creams and soaps samples that need to be smeared. Also for Arko and other sticks when I don't want to face lather.

The shave itself went smoothly, although I now prefer the heft of the Rockwell 6s to the Krona's extreme lightness.

17. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor

My pleasure and I hope you get many good latherings from the new bowl!! Guess what.... I dropped mine on the bathroom floor last week so I went the same store I bought them at and scooped up another 5....take a look at the forum classifieds.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2017
  18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

And the correct amount of prep is the routine that ends with no irritation. It's definitely trial and error for each individual, and we should never fix things that are not broken.

Fly2High, Screwtape, clint64 and 6 others like this.
  19. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

July 2017 - Time to straighten up!

July 11

Razor - W.B. Speed - Rabbit
    Soap - Dirty Deeds Tobacco
    Brush - WCS Synthetic
    Post - Alum

Time to head back to straights. And speaking of "head" it was also head shave night. So the Merkur 23c and Astra SP were put into action this week until I have a few more days with a TSR in my hand to try the head shave with it. Head shave was awesome as always with the only real change being Proraso in place of Arko. Just because.

The Rabbit was stropped and ready to go and the Dirty Deeds soap provided an excellent slick lather. I'm liking this soap more and more as I use it. The West Coast brush tends to hold water more than the other synthetics so I had a bit of an issue getting the lather thickened up due to over watering it with the brush. Got it fixed, though, and had no other issues. The shave was quite nice and I did two full passes with some touch up for a DFS. No complaints there.

I'm a pain stick fan and I do notice that the blades on the TSR's definitely feel different. I know the differences have been discussed and the TSR's are less likely to cut in most cases. That leaves me feeling like they're not working quite as well, though, but I just have to remind myself to hold angle and work on reduction, not perfection. I'm going to spend the week with this razor or perhaps this one and one other TSR to really get into the groove.

Hot hot hot today! I mean HOT and HUMID! Didn't do anything beyond grocery shopping and sitting inside. Hotter tomorrow! I'm about ready for a Russian winter!

July 11.jpg

Screwtape, Linuxguile, PLAla and 10 others like this.
  20. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I picked the Dovo for this trip because it gave me such an easy shave. The camp we are at has hall bathrooms. Sharing 3 sinks with a hall full of kids is a whole new ball game. That room is hot and humid. The mirror stays fogged. And kids eating camp food...let's just say you want to get in and out ASAP. I went for a quick one pass shave and promptly got myself on the jawline. Glasses off, foggy mirror, fatigue...I just got complacent and it bit me. I didn't bring any styptic with me, so of course it bled for a good half hour. Focus!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Screwtape, Linuxguile, PLAla and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.