Aristocrat question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ShowMeState1977, Oct 21, 2008.

1. I went to the local Antique store today (never had a reason to go till now:rolleyes:) to check out their razor collection. They had more than I had anticipated. The one that glowed the brightest was an Aristocrat w/ its box. It didnt have the matching gold razor box with it, though. I know it wasnt an adjustable, and I'm not versed in date codes. To my very amateur eye it looked in good condition, hardly ever used, if at all. The proprietor is asking $35 for it. That seems to be a good price from what I've read on the board. Is it?

They had a few shaving mugs (2 Old Spice ones) and a few unrecognized brand of shaving brushes. They also had quite a few straight razors, but I really wasn't interested in those (yet).

Any help would be appreciated.

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Yeah, buy that Aristocrat, if you don't want it, I will buy it from you. Does it look like this?
    [​IMG]
    image from mr-razor.com

3. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

The aristocrat is a great aggressive razor. I love mine. They came in many variations of handles and opened and closed comed. I'd say buy it. Check out the laquer on the silo doors, as thats usually the first to go.

4. It didnt have a comb, rodd.

JayKay-The silo doors looked "smudged" is the best that I can describe it, but it wan't terrible.

5. JayKay

Yeah, thats the laquer, which is darker than the gold. It will most likely look as if it were completely covered and it started waring from friction, towards the bar more so than the center of the head. Thats what happens. I would suggest walking in there and talking the person down to 20$. Tell them that the set isnt complete and the correct matching blade box isnt cheap to buy on its own. Than tell them the laquer is coming off the silo doors and there is no way to fix that so its automatically nocked down to "user grade" and couldnt even be in a collection. Than continue to belittle and talk bad about the product. That should nock 15$ off of it. And mention there are plenty of incomplete sets on sale on ebay for 20$.

6. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

You are ruthless, dude! :happy102

And I applaud your business acumen! :happy096

7. Thanks for the info. My wife said she would get for me (give me the money for it) for my birthday, which is next week. I'll try to talk them down a bit.

8. JayKay

Wouldnt you rather have it now, so you can be well shaven for your birthday? Not the day after?

Better go get it asap, I hear they sell like hot cakes.

You've gotta be ruthless. Theres a whole warehouse full of antique stores by me and its mostly a mix between a few reputatble stores anda whole bunch of hoarders. Fortunately, the reputable stores always have rusted str8s with broken scales and the hoarders always have bins of razors. Gotta be turhless. You've seen braveheart...

9. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Big +1 Even at $35, that's a great price. Cased Aristocrats consistently sell at Evil Bay for $50-$70.

10. Pay day is coming, Gents.

11. My First DE!

Well, Ladies and Gents I got my first DE razor today! (1 is still in transit) I got the Gold Aristocrat mentioned in the first post. JayKay, I tried to talk the lady down, but she wouldnt budge. I'm not too worried about it though. It is nicer than I originally thought. The "smudge" I mentioned is not the gold plating flaking off, but soap scum. It's shows that it is a W1. Could someone tell me what year that is or direct me to a link?

Here are the pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D

12. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

That was an outrageous steal, my friend! Good thing you went back and got it. BTW, a W1 is a first quarter 1951. Very, very nice pickup for only 35 bones! :happy088

If you some info on date codes, go here.

13. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Very nice! My offer to buy it stands. :happy102

14. Thanks, but it is technically a birthday present from my wife so it stays with me!

Thanks Blue Monkey for the info! Now if I read the link, you posted, correctly I have kinda like a first run...where they introduced the quarter numbers to the underneath of the razor. That's pretty nifty. (Pardon my newbness.)

15. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I never thought of it that way, but correct you are!

16. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

There was a prototype V-3 date code used on a few Super Speeds but I don't think it was used on Aristocrats. Congratulations, nice find and I'll bet it shaves great!

[​IMG]