The original Gillette safety razor from 1904

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Adelio, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The double ring has always been on my wish list.
    :love029:

2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I've found that these black silver plated razors usually clean up nicely. I would try that before sending it out. This one might look great polished up.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Looks like a double ring to me. Nice score!

If you do anything to it (replating) it will probably not affect the value, but I can't say for certain. Straightening any bent teeth requires heating the razor with a torch, which will ruin the plating, so that will have to wait until or unless you decide to replate it. Don't be tempted to give it a wiggle with a pair of pliers. It might work, or it might break the tooth off. Brass gets brittle with age, and heating it is the only way to remove that brittleness.

Edit: most of the time replating Gillette razors adds to the value of the razor, but for double rings, the situation is a bit more fluid, since they have historical and collector's value above and beyond any other Gillette razors. I would definitely do the baking soda and tinfoil trick before attempting any sort of polish.

brit, RyX, mrchick and 1 other person like this.
  4. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

The baking soda process works wonders. I've done a DR and 5 SR (several black as coal) and all shined up nicely. Of course it can't fix any plating issues but the patina will be removed.

5. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

My 1904 DR with major patina. Pics #2 nicely cleaned up after baking soda treatment. It's in great shape mechanically but the plating has been flaking so I've decided to have it re-plated in Silver. It's going to see Chris in 2 weeks.

IMG_1345 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1381.JPG

RyX, PLANofMAN, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  6. The Daily Blade

The Daily Blade Active Member

I want to thank all those that responded. I do appreciate it. I think before doing anything to this DR, I will try the foil/baking soda on a single ring with stripped threads that I have laying around just to get the feel. I also just scored a 1920 Old Type with Bulldog handle (posted elsewhere on this forum of course) that needs the same treatment, will go that method as well

PLANofMAN likes this.
  7. The Daily Blade

The Daily Blade Active Member

It arrived today! So stoked. It is a genuine 1905 Double Ring with serial number (VERY hard to read) 79129. No cracks in handle which is great, some plating lose on teeth it appears and there are 2 bent teeth. Anyway, here are the pics!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

brit, RyX, PLANofMAN and 1 other person like this.
  8. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

ooooh. Don't mind the puddle, it's just drool.

I'd be taking it to a jeweler and having the teeth straightened and the plating refreshed. It's JUST dinged up enough to not have that nagging "I should leave it as I found it!" feeling. That should be used! :)

9. MattOfCleveland

MattOfCleveland New Member

I noticed this thread was about vintage safety razors ,I think i might have a contender as I've been into them for a while. Its a 1904 gillette in its box W/ blue cloth carry bag, does anyone have any more info on if this one?.And if and how i should clean it?. I found it in my attic and have been interested in shaving with classics since. :) {{Look at that patina}}

(((more pics to come))) Thanks. gillette2.jpg gillette1.jpg

brit, RyX, Herm2502 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I finally got my double ring on June 8. It has straight teeth and no cracks. I was surprised and blessed.
    double_ring_02.jpg double_ring_03.jpg
    The serial number, 225238, indicates that it was made in 1905.
    This razor is 112 years old. Wow.
    double_ring_05.jpg double_ring_06.JPG
    double_ring_16.JPG double_ring_22.JPG

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    PLANofMAN, brit, jtspartan and 7 others like this.
  11. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Very nice. That razor is called a Ball-End Old Type. I believe 1904 is the patent date. If there's no serial number on the head, the razor is from the 1920's. If there is a serial number you can Google "Gillette Date Codes" and you'll find a couple good sites to find out the date.

Herm

PLANofMAN, brit, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  12. Herm2502

mrchick likes this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Very nice OLD. Those shave great! You should start your own thread with that beauty.

brit, Jayaruh and mrchick like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

jmudrick likes this.
  16. MattOfCleveland

MattOfCleveland New Member

Thanks Herm! ,I did end up utilizing that info and found out mine is from the year (1918) from what I can tell ,Its not as old as initially thought but it is a pretty cool find anyhow. Serial number is H893894 on the head. :)

-Matt.

17. Herm2502

Matt

Nice. That Old Type is a nice razor. It's a little aggressive so be sure to use a shallow angle. Enjoy!

Herm

18. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

Fantastic for sure. I deeply regret polishing my DR. It was fantastically blacked out. Even the boiled egg trick didn't black it out enough. Sonce then, I don't polish my razors.

Herm2502 likes this.
  19. Herm2502

I "polish" silver only with baking soda, an aluminum foil-lined bowl and boiling water. Chemical reaction removes about 95% of tarnish in minutes, no scrubbing or polishing.

Herm

brit and Billy Goatee like this.
  20. Dule083

Dule083 Active Member

received_1264110750403356.jpeg
    My double ring pat aplyed. I chasing blade banks. If anyone have them even with box or same from some single edge razor please contact me.

PLANofMAN and brit like this.