How do you do wet shave travel?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Fly2High, Feb 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

along with my strop and a tube of cream with a small boar or synthetic brush.

2. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Great reading all the opinions and experience. I've got a few trips coming up so thus was a helpful read. Not sure what I'll do yet. dE doesn't blend well with one bag travel

mrchick likes this.
  3. JoyceRedn

JoyceRedn New Member

I take shower pocket bag with me wherever I go.

4. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

What's a shower pocket bag?

5. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Glad you asked, I was wondering myself.

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
  7. wasson

wasson New Member

I pack a three piece Merkur "1904" razor, shave soap, a synthetic shave brush, and blades in my checked luggage, if flying. You cannot carry on DE blades. For other travel, such as cruises, I check the website to read about restrictions. If I must, I will bring a disposable double blade razor.

8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Just had a week of shaving with a Gillette Atra, and "Made in Israel" cartridges. Also took a Wilkinson Sword stick with me, and a synthetic brush. Plus a small bottle with Nivea ASB. Excellent shaves.

9. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I've been traveling more recently and I don't check my bag. I bought a 3 pack of 1oz AOS shaving cream samples on eBay. I like it because it can be used brushless if I'm a hurry. I also carry my razor I'm a Waterfield travel case and my brush in a Muhle travel tube. I take my razor out of the case and disassemble it before I send it through the scanner so I don't get stopped. I have forgotten to do that twice and I was stopped both times to show no blade was in it.

10. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I pack my Gillette sensor, Semogue 1520, and either a cream, or soap in my dopkit kit. For an aftershave I take my bottle of Gillette Aftershave Gel.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm away for two months, a different kettle of fish but this has worked out well, one handle, six heads and my Tabac squeezed into a deodorant stick.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

SevenEighth, mrchick and twhite like this.
  12. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Man you are like James Bond of the shaving world. Dig your travel setup. Something for every mood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mrchick and jmudrick like this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The Aston Martin has a dedicated compartment where the kit goes on road trips. :)

I've enjoyed this so much I'm already thinking of different heads for next year's trip.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

mrchick and twhite like this.
  14. Mr Two Bits

Mr Two Bits Well-Known Member

Bumping this thread because I’ll be traveling to Guatemala for a week in the near future and was curious as to how folks got their shave on in a foreign country. Is it as simple as throwing all your kit in a dopp and checking said bag? I know better than to try to carry on my shaving equipment but I was wondering if anyone had experienced any trouble with a checked bag.

Frijolero likes this.
  15. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

That’s how I do it. I travelled all over Vietnam a couple of years ago and just checked my bag on my flights.

16. Mr Two Bits

I was hoping it would be that easy. I’ll definitely take a backup disposable and (ugh...) travel size can of barbasol just in case but now that I’m shaving the way it was meant to be done I hope I never have to endure another crummy quick & dirty shave again as long as I live...

Frijolero likes this.
  17. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

No need for taking crappy backups. They shave in Guatemala and I’m sure you can find a disposable there if your bags get lost.

Enrico, Mr Two Bits and Frijolero like this.
  18. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I prefer to carry on as much as I can, just to make sure that I have it. I have had checked bags get lost.

Blades are the one thing that you cannot carry on at all, period. A double edge razor, sans blade, is okay. They will pull it out and eyeball it though, so don't bury it too deep.

Aftershave and creams are okay subject to the limits on liquids/creams. I have carried on soaps many times with no problem. Exactly one time I had a tub taken. So in the future I will probably just take a small tube of cream in the 1qt bag. Or a stick of Arko or something.

Mr Two Bits likes this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

If your checking a bag ... just burry it in your checked in baggage, (some TSA agents are thieves). I've been around the world and I always make it inconvenient for opportunist to find my goodies.

mrchick and Frijolero like this.
  20. Mr Two Bits

I have known a few musicians who travelled with their instruments and experience troubles due to the woods used in their construction. I don’t know that I’ve ever heard of anyone having a Brazilian rosewood shave brush but I don’t suppose natural badger or any of the exotic woods used on SR’s or brushes has been a problem for anyone... I know I’m overthinking this but I’ve always been one to worry out solutions to non-existant problems...