New Handle for Gem Jr. Lather Catcher

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jayaruh, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks, Fuzzy. I think a good picture with precise measurements would work just as well. What's with the molesting comment? There is no molesting going on...

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup. Plenty of it. Folks messing with handles. The lather catchers had wooden handles in some sets. Folks are using all kind of weird handles on the 14's 12's and 24's. Hard on a SE guy.

I am at work tonight. I will try to maybe get a pic next to a ruler or something. Maybe that will help out. The lather catchers on the short wood handles are awesome!!

Ijustmissedthe50s and Jayaruh like this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Taking drills to 1914s to accommodate 10/32 handles is a tough call. I wouldn't. Simply swapping handles be another story, that obviously does no harm.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

This from a guy that cuts up DE blades for them. It's molesting a razor just the same. Don't get me wrong you own it do what you want with it. I have not even outlawed it across the street. It's still a terrible thing to see though.

RyX and Jayaruh like this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I think finding a way to actually use a vintage razor vs having them sit in a drawer in the WC (oh excuse me "den") does better honor to their heritage. Thus not seeing any connection between damaging a vintage razor and modifying a modern blade to fit (or temporarily swapping a handle) but we're all God's children. Carry on.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    RyX and Jorvaljr like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I have no intention on taking a drill to the razor. I will leave the threads as they are. The #8 sheet metal screw seems to be a good match.

RyX, jimjo1031 and jmudrick like this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I use all off my vintage SE's. Never modified a blade...with the exception of valet's. But I am a SE guy....not just a shaver that uses SE razors. Changing handles moding blades... Kinda makes me cringe.

Ijustmissedthe50s and RyX like this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup. I bet those handles will look awesome on a lather catcher.

Jayaruh likes this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Cringe noted. Seeing beautiful razors from DeHaven, Enders, Mark Cross etc. go unused and tossed or hidden away is what makes me cringe. And if somebody swapping a handle without damaging a razor encourages them to set aside their DE in favor of a 1914/12/24 more power to em.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    mrchick, RyX, Jorvaljr and 1 other person like this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I should have stated that did not include razors that blades are not made for. Sorry I missed noting that.

RyX, Jayaruh and jmudrick like this.
  11. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Wow! You are to kind. I think a 3" would do the trick for sure. Thanks so much

Jayaruh likes this.
  12. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Now I am waiting on the ferrules to arrive. I went ahead and painted one of the handles. When the ferrules get here, I will custom fit them to the ends.
    IMG_4672.JPG

IMG_4673.JPG

RyX, Jim99, twhite and 1 other person like this.
  13. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

Those pics make me wish I had a lather catcher.

Jayaruh and twhite like this.
  14. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Looks wonderful. Looks like a period piece that belongs with the razor. Way cool!

RyX and Jayaruh like this.
  15. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

OMG. Does that mean the older razors don't have a BSW 5/32"x24 thread as I was led to believe, but a #8-something thread?
    Is it a UNC #8-32 or a UNF #8-36 screw?
    Do I need to rewrite my article on new handles for old razors? :eek:

Excellent job, btw... as always...

twhite, Jayaruh and Jorvaljr like this.
  16. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    The Gem 1912 handles are not interchangeable with the 1911 Lather Catcher or the ER 14.

17. riverrun

I know... GEM 1912 are #10-32
    Older lather catchers or 1914s are what _exactly_?

18. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I compared these five razors and threads.
    IMG_4674.JPG
    The shovelhead and 1912 have the same threads and are interchangeable.
    IMG_4675.JPG
    The 1911 Lather Catcher and the ER 1914 have the same threads and are interchangeable.
    IMG_4676.JPG
    The silver Gem 1912 has different threads from the other 1912: not even close. They do not interchange.
    IMG_4677.JPG

I found that this #8 sheet metal screw will work on both the 1911 LC and the ER14. I cannot however tell you the official size of these threads. I think they are 8-24.
    IMG_4678.JPG

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    jimjo1031 likes this.
  19. riverrun

Thanks. Very interesting. Your #8 sheet metal screw is #8-24? I didn't think this thread size existed as a standard.
    Wikipedia only knows #8-32 and #8-36.
    #8-24 would be very close to what I believe the actual thread might be (BSW 5/32"x24).
    I now wish I hadn't sold my SE razors that didn't have a #10-32 thread. :rolleyes:

jmudrick likes this.
  20. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    @twhite , @poppi , @Jorvaljr , @jimjo1031 , @Jim99
    The left one is the original prototype that I did without the lathe. The others I did on the lathe. The third one is 3 inches (someone asked for 3 inches). The last two are mahogany. Anyhow, the ferrules should start arriving on Saturday. If you are really interested in one of these, please PM me. Thanks.
    IMG_4685.JPG