The best Gold Dollar model is....

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Vlasta, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Any views and why?

2. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

The blades are tough to differentiate. I have had some that are great and some that are junk. I recommend going with one of the kits (razor, strop, and sometimes even paste)

Billyfergie likes this.
  3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
  4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Friends don't let friends shave with Gold Dollars :D
    Just say "no"

Deputy and Billyfergie like this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:signs011:
    Amen....

mrchick likes this.
  6. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Ha ha sorry guys did not make myself clear. I want some cheap razors to practice honing. I already ruined a 60 buck eBay buy.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billyfergie, Spyder and Stu929 like this.
  7. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Antique shops

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Spyder likes this.
  8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Wow. Really sorry to here that :(.

9. 1976MGB

1976MGB Active Member

I've got 6-7 decent vintage razors I'd let go pretty cheap.. some honed need touch ups, some bevel is set and some untouched.. shoot me a p.m. if you want.
    Heck, I'll send you a free gold dollar..

Spyder and Pilotcld like this.
  10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

How do you ruin a straight razor, short of a large chip or crack? Pics??

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  11. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I am ashamed...... will send pics when I get time. I tried bevel setting on a 1k shapton before going to my coticule and now the edge is really screwed up. Uneven width. Smile in the blade. Heel and toe not right.... I used way too much pressure I think and uneven pressure at that. Maybe it is salvageable but not with my current skill level.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Spyder likes this.
  12. DaltonGang

Watch some video's and try try again.

13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have a modified Gold Dollar but I am not sure which one is started life as but it does look and shave great. The GD raz-ors need to have their shoulders and or stablizers modified and sometimes the spine is to thick. Unless your handy go with some cheap vintage razors.

DaltonGang and Spyder like this.
  14. DaltonGang

Yep, what he said. But, once you get a Gold Dollar modified to be able to hone it, they are very good razors. Excellent steel. I have and shave with a few I've honed.

15. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Check out "the Stallion" on YouTube.

brit and Billyfergie like this.
  16. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

The Gold Dollar 208 Seems to Be Well Ground & Better Finished than Most Models at the Moment..They Hone Up Quite Easy..Sometimes & Not Always the Heel Area will Need Grinding with a Dremel to Get it Flat on the Hone..;)

Billy..:chores016:

17. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Gold Dollar bevel setting tool....

[​IMG]

mrchick, TheFiveO and Billyfergie like this.
  18. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

The Last Number of 208s I Honed were Darn Near Bevel Ready from the Factory..They Cost a Few Bucks More is All..:angelic007:

Billy..:chores016:

Spyder likes this.
  19. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

I am a fan of learning to hone on good razors with good geometry. I bought two new dovos for the job. Tape is important for the new honer. It will save your razor.

20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Depends on what you're doing with them. If you're modding them, people like the 66 because it has more 'meat' on it. If you want to practice honing, any will do but see below. If you want to enjoy shaving with one, get something else unless you can re-scale them yourself to your satisfaction. I found the 208 to be a good balance for test razors, used to test stones, techniques, and occasionally for air travel since they're expendable.

20% are ground well and can set the bevel with minimal trouble.
    75% have an overground heel, usually worse on the show side (I guess Master Shifu is right handed) - or some other manageable but unpleasant defect like a big smile
    5% will be bent, warped and not worth the trouble to hone them.

You could get 4 nice ones or all 4 be junk, IOW, YPMV. Greatly.

They tend to get thinner and lighter, more like a normal razor, as the numbers get higher. The 800 stainless isn't. The 208 and up are decent 6/8-13/16 blades if you get a reasonably good one, especially if you can put a decent pair of scales on them. All of them need to have the edges smoothed, especially at the toe/nose - the first time that you scratch up your prize strop because they didn't even take the time to smooth the machined edges will ruin your day.

If you want to practice honing they're good if you get a good one, but if you get a bent or warped one maybe not so much if you're just starting. You can learn quite a bit honing the bad ones, but you should be able to nail bevel set on a normal razor 100% and be able to observe the removal of the last hone's marks along 100% of the edge before you tackle a wonky Dollar.

Cheers, Steve

Spyder and DaltonGang like this.