Rockwell Owners Adjustable Razors Club (ROARC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tuxxdk, Jun 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

Try it and come back with the results please.

2. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

I've been set on plate #4 since I received my 6S. Today I'm going to try #6!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PumperNickel-BageL and Tdmsu like this.
  3. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Just curious, but what blades have you tried? I'm guessing the soap/cream is not in equation given that they work well with other razors.

4. Rugger007

Rugger007 Active Member

Feather, GSB, Iridium Super, NOS brown box polsilver.

5. tuxxdk

Of those, I've only tried the GSB with great results.

6. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

If I may make a suggestion Gents. But before that, what type of razors did you happen to use before trying the 6s? And what particular brand of blades? I own a 6s and I find it to be a very good razor, but not as efficient and aggressive as I would like it to be. Let me explain.

I to have Uber sensitive skin. Plus my beard growth around my neck is a hurricane of growth in every which way. So, the less passes I make, the less irritation I get. I use a WTG 1st pass and then a hybrid combination of ATG/XTG 2nd pass. Works every time with basically no irritation. But for me to accomplish this, I've had to use the sharpest blades available. Either the Feather or Kai blades, in which I prefer the Kai and I'll explain why in just a bit. First, the 6s is smooth and mildly efficient. Plates 1-4 are pretty much useless in my shave routine with the 6s, but 5 will work and 6 even better. The blade gap is set at a very mild setting, no matter what plate you use. Another factor is blade exposure. The combination of the two create a very mild and safe shave for the vast majority of shavers.

Here is where the Kai blade comes in and was the solution for my dilemma. The Kai blade, for some reason is just a bit wider than the rest of the DE blades in production. Also, it feels thicker or more rigid than any other blade even though it has the same thickness at .004mm as the rest. When using the Kai blade in the 6s you will notice more blade exposure even though the gap to the safety bar is relatively the same. But that little bit of extra blade exposure turned the 6s into a bit more aggressive while still being a smooth razor. I felt a bit more blade on my skin, which allows the blade to ride smoother and longer on the skin resulting in a cleaner and more efficient cut. It also made short work of my crazy growth in the neck area. The Feather will work really nice also, but for me it felt just a tiny bit more harsh than the Kai.

Overall, the 6s is a good razor and with those two blades it amps it up just a tiny bit and turns it into a very good razor. As I've stated, it's not my favorite or best razor, but with that simple upgrade of the blade it has stayed in my den. Don't feel intimidated by trying either the Feather or Kai blade as many in most shave forums have said those blades cause blood letting. The 6s tames those two in a very good way.

So perhaps you might find an answer to your dilemma by trying the blade upgrade. Overall the 6s will still be a very pleasant and mild shaver, but it will increase the efficiency of it with those 2 specific blades imho... Good Luck! :happy088:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Tdmsu likes this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The Kai may "feel thicker" but it's not. There are studies.

You can always use a shim to increase blade gap as well.

I find the Rockwell with the 6 plate very efficient and quite comfortable.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

8. Str8on2

True. But as my post stated, it feels thicker even though it measures identical to other de blades. Perhaps a different grade of steel that gives it that feeling.

9. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Well, I've been shaving with double edge razors since Ike was President and own at least one example of almost every major type of razor Gillette has made as well as Schick and Durham and several Feather and Weishi and Baili and some I have simply forgotten. I went and looked and there is an Astra blade in the razor but again, my experience over the last half century says there just isn't much difference between any of the branded blades.

The razor simply has not impressed me at all.

It's not alone. The Ikon El Jefe and so far the Colonial brass General have been underwhelming.

I will likely keep the one I repaired but the new one that the good folk at Rockwell sent me will end up as an auction item during Saint Sue.

10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Tough crowd. I've owned most every Gillette and sold them all except the Single Ring. (I kept the Schicks, Cooper, Shake Sharp, Jaws, Mastiff, also sold the General and El Jefe). Getting to BBS on my beard is fairly easily done with most any razor, but the head shave is a different matter, and here the Rockwell (6-plate) impresses the hell out of me, certainly more than any Gillette, especially at the price of the 6C. Terrific balance of smoothness and efficiency. In my top three or so.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Tdmsu likes this.
  11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

No kidding, right? Never seen that before.

Puma likes this.
  12. PickledNorthern

Yep. And the money those guys pay for that vendor status is big enough it keeps any hobbyist types looking to expand from being able to play. Sort of corners the newbie money. Good gig if you can get it, I guess.

Tdmsu likes this.
  13. Str8on2

May those razors RIP....:sick013:

14. PickledNorthern

You sound like a great candidate for AC style SEs.

Str8on2 likes this.
  15. Str8on2

I do have a few. Brass General (2), Ikon El Jefe, RR SS DLC Hawk & my favorite of them all, the Rx.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  16. PickledNorthern

Do you prefer the shaves you get from them? When I started SE shaving, my DE's pretty much fell by the wayside. For me it went: injectors, AC style, AC style shavettes, straights, then straights and AC shavettes with an occasional injector or mongoose/general shave thrown in.

DesertTime likes this.
  17. Str8on2

I do prefer my shaves with SE's. But out of respect to this thread and to the Rockwell owners, I won't divulge much more info on that. Though I still use the 6s on occasion. This thread is for the Rockwell owners and their experiences with said razor and I respectfully concede in allowing that to continue.

Respectfully, Gus

Puma, tuxxdk, Tdmsu and 2 others like this.
  18. PickledNorthern

Gotcha. Thank you for putting the train back on the tracks, so to speak.

Puma, Str8on2 and Tdmsu like this.
  19. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

Today, I used the 6S with two shims as sometimes I feel I need a little more aggressiveness.
    On two shims the effectiveness goes up a notch while the smoothness remains the same. On three shims, smoothness suffers a bit but it becomes really aggressive. If you intend to do this on the 6, be aware that it has to be watched somewhat because it will give you weepers if you use it like you are used to.

20. tuxxdk

It's "funny" .. on the rare occasion I have 3 days of growth, the R4 plate is marvelous. But for an everyday plate something's just not right. I had the same problem with my Weber - great after several days, but only "meh" everyday. I nick easily (tried many angles and pressures), my skin reacts after the shave with reddish bump-spots and it feels not-so-smooth. Clean shave though. On the R4.

I am having a hard time to believe that R5+R6 should be so smooth, because, for me, stepping up from R2 to R4 is anything but smooth, no matter the blade. For everyday shaving, that is. Disclaimer thrown into the mix: I have never used the R5-R6 plate because of that.

On the other hand.. R2 plate seems to work really great. Maybe that's why I love a Tech so much as well - it just works. No hassle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.