Hydroxcide

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by AKV, Jul 30, 2017.

1. AKV

AKV New Member

Has anyone used hydrocide? It says 2 ounces to 1 gallon of water... Which seems crazy to me.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

For what? What is it?

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Is it like Barbicide? I've used that.

4. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

The ratio is correct.

If you want a disenfectant to soak razors or combs in, you're probably better off with Barbicide.

Hydrocide is better for mopping floors and cleaning equipment.

I'm the only person using my razors (vs a barber who serves the public) so diluted dish soap or scrubbing bubbles is good enough for razor cleaning. I'm not trying to kill hospital grade germs.

Primotenore likes this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

From Amazon sales page;

This product will clean, disinfect and deodorize inanimate, hard nonporous surfaces such as brushes, combs, stainless steel scissors, clipper blades, razors, salon/barber tools, manicure instruments, shampoo bowls, sinks, dryers, tables, chairs, countertops, floors, walls, cabinets, shower stalls, bathtubs, whirlpool baths, and toilet bowls.

It doesn't say if it removes gold wash, nickle plating, teeth, hair, or eyeballs.

Primotenore likes this.
  6. jar

jar Well-Known Member

When you have pure hydroxcide (OH-) you have a nice base instead of an acid. When you put it in water OH-and OH- yields water (H2O) and a free Oxygen. Might even see a bubble or three.

RyX likes this.
  7. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Get a can of scrubbing bubbles. I use Walmart's store brand. Use an old toothbrush to scrub them.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

AKV likes this.
  8. AKV

AKV New Member

I have already did that.. How do I use the hydrocide?

9. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I hate to say this, but it truly is _read the directions_. Any time you're using a toxic product (if it kills bacteria, virii, and fungus spores, it's toxic), you MUST follow the directions. Anything we could tell you is likely to be wrong, because we don't have the bottle in hand.

If it says 2 ounces in a gallon of water, that's the ratio. (one ounce for a half a gallon, and so forth). it'll then tell you how to use it - soak, wipe, etc. If you're trying to get into every crevice, you'll have to soak.

BW

swarden43 likes this.
  10. swarden43

If you already used Scrubbing Bubbles,why do you need the hydroxide?
    Scrubbing Bubbles disinfects, eats soap scum, and leaves your razor nice and shiny.
    What more do you need?

11. chevyguy

You don't need it. What ever viruses that once lived on your razor's are now dead. No need to go overboard cleaning.

Clayton

12. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

As @swarden43 noted, Dow Bathroom Cleaner (Scrubbing Bubbles) kills 99.8(9)% of harmful bugs. So, that probably did the trick. Since, it has detergents, it also cleaned or loosened scum and other crud. I use hydrocide before I share a razor as a just-in-case. I don't really know what the difference is (barbacide v. hydrocide), but hydrocide is used by my barber for her scissors and combs. So, I bought that.

13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I use SB and never worry about a thing. I've yet to be cut by a razor, I'd be more worried about silverware at a restaurant.

14. swarden43

Yup.
    And you never will get cut by a razor. A blade, sure, but never a razor.
    (Unless it's a str8 ;))

15. Bookworm

I've been bitten by a Norelco - does that count?

16. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Have to agree with the majority here. Most viruses and bacteria - especially blood borne - that are harmful to us die pretty quickly outside the body, and those that don't are easily killed with scrubbing bubbles or alcohol. No need to live in fear.

17. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Hydrocide is more for elimating odors but I believe it does kill bacteria. You may want to just use something else that would clean the razor better, but I don't think it would hurt the razor....... hopefully lol.

18. Bookworm

I believe that most of the various cleaning chemicals tend to react oddly with copper alloys - so don't go overboard in the usage of them. (meaning don't soak brass overnight, things like that). Lysol also works - you can buy the small brown bottle of concentrate at various grocery stores. Somewhere I posted up a batch of links on the various sterilizers.

Even soaking overnight in alcohol can do strange things to some metals.

19. chevyguy

I use the Lysol concentrate on my razors when they need cleaning. I use the Scrubbing Bubbles on any new to me used razors. No need to go crazy cleaning your razor's because you might damage the thin finish.

Clayton