August 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jul 31, 2017.

?

Using an adjustable this month? Which one?

1. Gillette Fatboy

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  4. Gillette Toggle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Gillette Executive

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. Merkur Futur

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  7. Merkur Progress

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  8. Russian Ideal or Mladost

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. The original adjustable - a straight razor baby!

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  10. Cookies....just cookies. Seriously, can we just stick with the stupid cookies?!?!?!

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The Dog Days are here!

The Cartel welcomes you to the August 2017 edition of the 30 Day Rule and Focus thread. July was a great month and fairly laid back as people were traveling and doing the usual summer stuff. Well, it’s August and that means a couple of things. Number one – the heat/humidity will be in its full glory. Ah, yes, the Dog Days. Number two – school starts up for the year bringing some sanity back to schedules…..and completely blowing up others. Number three – it’s Adustable August Time!! In case the classic commercial up above wasn’t enough of a hint, the suggested theme is on adjustables! Fatboys, Slims, Black Beauties, Futurs, Executives, dare I say Toggles? And, of course, the Russian knock offs as well. If you’ve got ‘em, show them off and give them some face time! Or, focus on a rule or focus that fits you as always. Now, onto the important stuff.

If you're new to traditional shaving, or to TSD, WELCOME!!! Jump in and let the friendliest and most knowledgeable bunch of people you'll ever meet help you along. Ask questions, show us your gear. There's nothing about shaving we don't like to see and hear. Even if you are just starting with a VDH razor and soap, we value you along with everyone else and we want you to become a part of this great community. It won't take long for the enablers within each of us to have you loaded down with razors, soaps, cremes, brushes and enough blades to sink the Titanic. Including the chunk of wood that Leo could have fit on with Rose.

As one of the charter members of this thread, from January 2015, I can attest to the ability of the 30 Day Rule to build basic technique that provides the basis for the use of the 30 Day Focus to sharpen skills and develop new skills altogether. Our quest is, as always, to be able to develop technique so solid and strong that we can overcome any tools that may be at hand. The great overarching philosophy is "Technique Trumps Tools." The only caveat....."unless the tools are defective." One can't use a broken blade or a razor that won't lock the blade down and expect success.

My personal mission has always been to push the limits of the tools, and my skills, to find out what, if anything is defective. Most of you have remained sane and found instead new and wonderful ways to shave. Some, perhaps unfortunately, have followed my lead lately, but hey, no pain no gain. At the same time, practice makes perfect, and we have already learned how bad equipment can be and still produce a great shave with proper technique.

Now, on to the facts in the words of the one, the only, @Bama Samurai : (Please rise)

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Any thematic elements are up to each individual. We believe that if you've ever sought a great shave, you have something to offer. And if you're searching for great shaves, we will definitely try to help. If you are new to TSD, I believe you've landed in a great place. Everyone here participating would love to answer your questions and help you get the most from your shaving. We are very glad you're here! So, if you're new, stop in for a cookie and meet the crew. If this is old hat, welcome back, and let's rock another month out.

Rules are the same people.
    1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Old Members always welcome. (Maybe I should phrase that “experienced” members)
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. You may not say anything negative about Russian blades, especially Voskhod. The Cartel is listening.
    7. Don't think we don't hear when you badmouth Rapira either. We're vodka loving wannabe Russians, not blithering idiots. Well, ok so sometimes.....and Ivan.....well you get the idea.

Let's have some great shaves people! Welcome to ADJUSTABLE AUGUST! So first things first.....group hug………and off we go!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Happy August! You'll see some FatBoy and Derby! With Arko.

This month....the goal is to be able to Grail Shabe with a shavette, or FB on Charlie Danger settings versus Setting Neal. @wristwatchb (Charlie) - what are your dial settings?

3. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Sweet I just got a slim adjustable today I'll be breaking it in after it's cleaned up this week I'll use the Qshave Futur clone and just two soaps for comparison purposes the Tin soaps PdP 63 vs Blades Grim Smolder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Bama Samurai

How are you setting up your soap trial against the razor models? Working the whole dial?

5. LevelupShaves

On the Qshave it'll be easy I already know it and tend to stay between 3 and 6 so with at leas two shaves on each soap I may go 3 for a whole shave on each then 5 or 6 for a full shave on each only two shaves per blade to stay consistent.

I'll probably shave with the Gillette on Saturday with different settings each pass to get a feel for it for the following week using this weeks winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drygulch, NCoxSTL, Screwtape and 9 others like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

The correct setting for a Slim is nine. Unless you got ten. Then use ten. kidding.... A newly acquired vintage Gillette is always a cool thing, hope it's good to you. I am in the "one Razor of each type phase" so the FB is the only adjustable around for me. Looking forward to using it some this month for a change up.

Drygulch, NCoxSTL, Screwtape and 9 others like this.
  7. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

For 'Adjustable August' I'll spend a chunk of time with my birth year Black Beauty (SA-109). Will also start to use two non-Gillette 3 pieces I got recently from Fuzzy- A Bakelite Clix and a Lux.

Drygulch, NCoxSTL, Screwtape and 10 others like this.
  8. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I have a Stirling boar brush due in tomorrow, and will be focusing on that and my Omega 10049 boar. Boars and only boars. Synthetics have been my crutch, but I like the knot on my 10049 more and more of late. So I will be breaking those guys in and perhaps transferring my 10049 knot to my 30LE brush at the end of the month. Shavettes and straights have seen most of the duty of late, but I recently had a great shave with my most aggressive, cheap DE. So my adjustables will be making regular appearances, all on 9 to compare. Perhaps shavettes and straights on the weekends.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Drygulch, NCoxSTL, Screwtape and 11 others like this.
  9. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Since I have a Fatboy sitting on the sink along with my painstick those will be my only shavers this month. My other razors feel neglected but with 60 hour work weeks I just don't have the energy to keep changing it up. I'm only shaving about twice a week so first pass painstick clean up with the fatboy.

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Oh, sure, twist my arm - Use an adjustable Gillette? I have no overwhelming urge to own a Toggle, but I do enjoy a Model 195. Maybe I should pick up a Slim & a Black Beauty. Might even be coaxed to use Arko though I have a backlog of untried soap and cream samples. I've used a few different blades in my Fat Boy, so that gives me a Focus for the month - try something besides a Feather Hi-Stainless.
    What setting does vintage adjustable belong on? Easy!
    Number_Nine..png

11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I am in for Adjustable August as well. I'll pull out my (in no particular order) my Fatboy, Slim, Black Beauty, Merkur Futur, and my Schick Adjustable. I may give one more blade a run to see how long it goes, but then I'll change them up as I normally do.

Between the good feelings posted last night on July's thread, and the intro here, I do want to say thank you to everyone who has been on here, as well as to many who aren't anymore. I believe I started in February of 2015, so I just missed out on the opening thread, and I may have skipped March that year as well, but this thread has been home base on this forum for me ever since. The guys on this thread have been helpful, fun, and most importantly kind all along the way.

Edit: I will also use lots of Arko this month, in honor of our found, @Bama Samurai, and our current leader, @NCoxSTL.

12. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I'll be back!! Two more weeks of blade auditions for my OLD and I'll definitely break out the '71 SA-109!
    1 is not the loneliest number... 9 is!!

13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I'll play

Ultimate adjustables - straights and shavette

Merkur Futur

and

Rocnel adjustable because it goes to 11

and R41 2011 because it will cut at any angle

14. LevelupShaves

Day one Qshave set on 3 great shave BBS in only 2 passes. Today's soap was PdP 63 love this scent and post shave feeling pretty good with this soap.
    Razor: Qshave
    Blade: Shark SS first use
    Brush: JR 191 B&W Synthetic
    Soap: Pre de Provence 63
    AS: Fine L'Orange Noir
    [​IMG]

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

MR41, Drygulch, Bama Samurai and 11 others like this.
  15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Count me in for August 2017 Focus. Even though I have a birth year Gillette Slim, I'll pass on Adjustable August. Instead I will continue to use various razors, brushes and software through the month while I continue to working on improving the results on my lower neck. I look forward to following the thread and how everyone progresses.

16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Chris, I did my last focus with the FB on settings between 5 and 7. I can shave on setting Neal (well, 9 anyway) , but I don't seem to benefit much from the extra blade exposure.

I hope to be around more this month. :)

17. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I'll also be using the ultimate adjustables this month while focusing on mastering Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap.
    Have a great month!
    Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap
    B-400 Brush by Tom
    Dovo Bismarck #2 Razor
    Lucky Tiger
    Brut Dominant After Shave
    [​IMG]

MR41, Drygulch, Bama Samurai and 14 others like this.
  18. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

On board. Hoping to finish up pass-around soaps and actually try some of the tubs I own that I haven't tried yet. That should take all month. The Slim and Fatboy will be used for adjustable August, as will a number of DEs, SEs and injectors from my collection that I have still yet to try. Taking a month off from the straight to see if the divot in my chin will fill in if I give it a rest. Rather than call this an unfocused focus, I am choosing to look at it as "focusing on several things". It sounds better that way.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  19. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

That cutthroat is very cool looking Brian!

20. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you! It's a nice shaver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.