August 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jul 31, 2017.

?

Using an adjustable this month? Which one?

1. Gillette Fatboy

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  4. Gillette Toggle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Gillette Executive

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. Merkur Futur

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  7. Merkur Progress

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  8. Russian Ideal or Mladost

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. The original adjustable - a straight razor baby!

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  10. Cookies....just cookies. Seriously, can we just stick with the stupid cookies?!?!?!

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

You'll master MWF this time around.

2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I've been having the best shaves on my life with the RazoRock Baby Smooth. I think I'll continue using it for a couple more weeks and then I still have a Gillette Milord that hasn't been put to skin and I might revisit the my #58 Aristocrat. I may also give a little preview to SEptember and take my Rolls razor and Henckels wedge SE for a spin since they are both sporting freshly honed edges thanks to Adam @Drygulch .

3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Beautiful razor, Brian!

4. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I'm in again. I'm at a bit of a quandary as to focus, though. Traditionally, August is adjustable razor month but I've been so into Injectors this past month that I will probably stay with them for much of this coming month. Of course, that means the Schick Adjustable will be making the scene and I'll probably opt for some Fatboy Fridays.

One thing I do want to work on is my 30DC LE brush with the Pure Badger knot. It behaves very differently from any of my other brushes and I really want to get it dialed in.

5. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Very cool photo, Brian. Did you plan the AS bottle matching the scale colours?

6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Yes, they seemed like a nice match

7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Be sure to sign up for the first annual Bama Samurai Shavette Seminar! ;)

8. Bama Samurai

The plan for August:

31 July is a @swarden sponsored mall visit, write up forthcoming!

Adjustable August 2017 - Reaching for the Grail

The tools:
    Parker SRX/Derby Saloon
    1959 Gillette 195 Adjustable/Derby Platinum
    @jtspartan Tuxedo 30DC LE

The toys:

Arko
    Sterling Electric Sheep
    Veg
    Osage

9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I never have been much of an adjustable fan, and don't currently own one.

While at the grocery yesterday, I ran into some Gem SS SE blades and it got me thinking about the OCMM I had languishing in the box of razors and crap for the last 5+ years. IIRC, I paid $2 at a flea market for it. It took some time to learn, but I used it a lot for about 8 months then forgot about it in 2012. I am going to attempt to get reacquainted with it and dial in my technique this month. I had a pretty good 2 pass shave with a little clean up along the jaw line last night but I know I can do better.

10. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Well, for Adjustable August, I have a Gillette Fatboy, Slim, and Black Beauty... all of which are heading out the door this month to Delta Echo to receive matching coatings. I might have them back again by monthend but probably not.

So for this month, I will continue using my "adjustable by switching base plates" razors, the Rockwell 6s DE and the Supply Provision Single Edge injector. I usually use the Rockwell 6s on plate #3 and the Supply Provision SE on one-dot Mild. I will try working up to more aggressive plates this month - and then determine the best plate settings for me going forward.

Other than that, I will use my sample of Dirty Deeds Arroyo Cactus soap until it is exhausted and then may go back to trying out my other accumulated soap and cream samples -- I now have 16 in the box.

11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

August 1, August adjustable shave

Removed the wax from a Super Iridium and loaded it in my Rocnel adjustable, this is a heavy beast. The numbers go from 1 to 8 but you can go past the 8. Today I started at 8 because yesterday I was cut from trying a Rocel SE-G with a Feather that in all likelihood was not installed properly. After 3 passes turned it down to six and did my ATG pass. Smooth face and just a tingle from the alum, I think it is residual irritation from yesterday, all in all, a very nice shave. I really like the feel, shave and design of this razor.

Irritation A Closeness A

Razor: Rocenl adjustable with a Super Iridium blade

Brush: M&F Blonde Badger
    Pre: Nivea
    Soap: R66
    AS: Razorock Tight Buns
    Scent: Creed Green Irish Tweed

MR41, Drygulch, SharptoothC and 14 others like this.
  12. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

SOTN at the Lake
    40s SS w Astra (#?)
    Palmolive Classic Stick
    TGN Nylon/Mahogany Handle
    Thayers
    Stirling Mentholated Balm

The beach was really busy this morning:
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    I will start the August focus after heading back home tomorrow following the holiday weekend here in BC.
    A nice 3 pass shave with my usual trailer set up. I like this Palmolive classic (thanks again @BaylorGator), but LOVE the Menthol cream version I got this week. The 40s SS is always solid and I enjoy this brush. All is good.

MR41, Drygulch, Paul Turner and 14 others like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

So, you're saying you're going to pig out on the boars? Sorry, it was hanging there. Somebody had to say it.

15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Three Delta Echo razors. NICE!

16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Yeah hate it when the beach is crowded. Look beautiful

17. Norcalnewb

Beautiful picture in some pretty scenery, Jason!

18. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Gem OCMM
    Gem SS (2)
    Semogue BC Mistura
    Iced Orange Arko SS

Shave 2 with the OCMM was alright. My lather was slightly off resulting in less glide than I prefer and not the closest shave. Not a bad shave, but not a great one by any means. No irritation.

Enjoy your day.

19. Norcalnewb

IMG_0519.JPG

Aug 1 SOTD:

30DC LE brush
    MWF
    Gillette Slim
    Big Ben (2)
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Tabac AS

First shave of August is in, and what a way to start the month. When I get MWF dialed in just right, it is a wonderful soap. This morning, it was just right. The Slim was a smooth as ever, and this blade event well with the razor. The blade is honestly a study in why you shouldn't rush to judgment on products before your technique is solid. I got a tuck of these blades a while a go, before I had really discovered riding the cap, and I hated them. Now, they provide a nice smooth shave that is also very comfortable.

I felt a little like an old man this morning with some aches and pains, so I broke out the Tabac. Time to go be a curmudgeon at work. I hope everyone has a great day!

20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Beautiful scenery and a fantastic setting for the photo. I hope you have a great time on your holiday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.