Daily shaving as a beginner. Questions.

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Talneharus, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Talneharus

Talneharus Well-Known Member

So I recently switched to a DE safety razor for my shaving needs. I've been having a go daily for the last week. However I've given my neck a smidgeon of irritation.
    My question is. Is it going to need time to heal or can I get away with staying on a daily shave? The Mrs. has expressed her concern stating that I should give it a while. However it's been almost 48 hours and I can't stand feeling like a cactus.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Well you can always shave around it. Is it your whole neck or just a small part?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. Talneharus

It's the lower right half. I got no beef with leaving it alone. Especially if it means I can knock down the rest of it!

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    May I suggest the Cold Water Shave. Shaving with cold water right out of the tap will reduce irritation. Of course, too much pressure or a wrong angle may be contributing factors, but the CWS is an easy thing to do. If you give it a week, you may never go back to hot water. I only use hot water to clean my gear after my shave.
    Check out the Fellowship of Cold Water Shavers thread.

5. Talneharus

I'm down to try that. Perhaps I can convince the Mrs to give me the green light haha. I'd just do it but I've been ornery enough and shouldn't push my luck. XD

6. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

:signs011:

7. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Might try a single WTG pass. No touch up. It will knock the stubble down, not cause irritation. Cold water does help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RaZorBurn123 and dustmite like this.
  8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Map your beard.

Even if you think you are not shaving against the grain, you may very well be doing so.

Once you map your beard, and are sure you know which way every single hair points, then just shave one time, with the grain, then rest a day.

See if that helps.

9. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

All great advice. I've found the easiest way to map growth is to take just enough soap or cream to give a very light coat, and look closely and carefully at your face in strong light. You want just enough to cover your skin without burying your whiskers. The soap really makes the stubble easy to see. That was a major turning point for me early on.

RaZorBurn123 and Jayaruh like this.
  10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Everything above here was great advice. Not really anything I can add. Not an adherent to the cold water method, but if it stops the irritation it's a winner!

RaZorBurn123, dustmite and Jayaruh like this.
  11. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

The less pressure you can use, the less irritation you will have. Also make sure to watch the blade angle. You want the blade at a shallow angle so you don't scrape the skin with the blade.

12. Edwin Jagger Loyalist

Edwin Jagger Loyalist Active Member

From my experience it takes a few weeks for your face to get used to daily shaves. It's also a good idea to map out your face as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  13. Talneharus

Just spent a good minute in front of the mirror. Since I've been ban from having a shave . Which is a bummer now cause it's quite enjoyable. I have enough stubble to see somewhat of a pattern emerging. On an aside I did also conclude that daily shaving would help toughen up the skin. Kinda like work has done for my hands haha. You all are the best! This is good sounding advice here.

RaZorBurn123 and RyX like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Name of the game is Beard Reduction. If you can accept a Close Comfortable Shave and must shave everyday for work, then don't scrape away the skin doing a 5 pass shave trying for that Baby Dolphin Butt Smooth. Don't chase that baby, let it come to you.

Part of the learning curve is figuring out what not to do. ATG is a common irritant and a technique that takes time to do correctly. You might save it for Friday's and give some healing time before your Monday swings back around. Two XTG passes on your neck may reduce the visible beard, even though you can still feel it. That would be your Socially Acceptable Shave.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  15. Talneharus

I haven't tried ATG since Monday. Still might be what I'm recovering from. I've watched a lot of Nick Shaves on YouTube he does one WTG the two XTG and then just clean up. I did manage a DFS doing that.

16. Talneharus

I imagine I just need more practice. Even though it's not as fun to winge about like picking on the VDH blades that I have.

RaZorBurn123 and Terry Williams like this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I generally shave every other day, I can shave every day, but my face is generally happier with a day off.

18. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm going to speculate - somewhere out there in Shave Land are a couple folks that like VDH ice tempered SS blades. I haven't talked to them. If you are in a pharmacy check for store brand generic DE blades made in Israel. They are Personna Reds. Not the best blades I've used, but acceptable and from reports better than the VDH offering.

Same here. Thirty six hours gives me good stubble, forty eight even better. Disclaimer; Gillette Fat Boy on setting number 9 and sometimes with a Feather Hi-Stainless blade, three passes + G-slides. My alum block tells me if I have technique failure. Alcohol based AS burn, too.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  19. Talneharus

Unfortunately out here in Wyoming specifically the town I live in choice is very very limited. Went into Walgreens today to sniff out another blade till my order arrives. And like usual just more VDH blades. Only place I have left to check in town is K-mart.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  20. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

The Walgreens store brand blades should be personnas.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.