Vintage radios

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Norcalnewb, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I have been considering trying to find an antique radio and do a restore on it. I thought I might throw it out in here to see if any members do anything like this.

RyX, Shaver X, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  2. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I used to do that in my teens. It became a big thing for several years starting in the early 1970s, at least in the Bay Area. I still have one radio from the 1930s I found in a junkyard. The owner let me have it for free, as it was in rather grungy shape. I got it working, though.

There used to be an antique radio museum at Foothill College called the Perham Collection. It closed decades ago, and the collection donated to History San Jose. Some of the folks at History San Jose might be able to point you towards resources. Google for the Perham Collection website if you want more info. I can't paste the link because the TSD post editor is now acting really wonky.

Edit:

Here is the link to the Perham Collection:

http://perhamcollection.historysanjose.org/

You might also find these links helpful:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/
    https://antiqueradio.org/parts.htm

These folks have (or at least had) a radio museum in Berkeley:

http://www.californiahistoricalradio.com/

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    Douglas Carey and Norcalnewb like this.
  3. Norcalnewb

Thank you for the info. I'll look into it.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

I listen to an antique radio often. My original stock am/fm in the 1986 Ranger. No DVD, CD, cassette, not even an 8-track...
    Maybe you mean stationary tube type radios?

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

Jim99, Norcalnewb and Douglas Carey like this.
  5. Norcalnewb

I have my fair share of those vintage radios, but yes, I was meaning the stationary tube type. :)

RyX likes this.
  6. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I think there are still some tubes being manufactured

7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Dozens of current production guitar and bass amps are tube driven. There are some tube makers left.

8. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I passed one up a couple weeks ago at a garage sale. It was only 15 bucks but I'm completely ignorant about radios (despite some fascination) and need to avoid starting any more collections.

9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I had an old Stromberg Carlson in my basement for years.

It was my grandfather's radio and I believe it dated back to the 1920s. The cabinet was gorgeous and had doors on the front. The radio cabinet had beautifully turned legs and the glow from the dial was mesmerizing. The sound was rich and deep, which made AM sound more like FM.

We had a flood in the basement and one of the legs gave out. The radio was underwater. Right or wrong, I threw it out after that. It was heartbreaking.

I don't have any pictures readily available, but it looked basically like this one.

IMG_2548.JPG

10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

^ drool

I have a weakness for cathedral-style table top radios, but I haven't bought any .... yet.

11. Norcalnewb

That is awesome. Too bad you had the flood, that is a beautiful piece of equipment.

Douglas Carey and Jim99 like this.
  12. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I almost forgot, the "dogbone" resistors on 1930s-era radios do not use the same resistor color codes as today. They will be like Figure 1 or Figure 2 at this page. This page shows how to replicate the old dog bone resistors used in antique radios.

13. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Some of my friends/acquaintances still use antique tube Type CBC/ham two way radios and amplifiers. It's my understanding the Russians make some fantastic vacuum tubes these days. You can probably access any tubes you need through googling the tube numbers. I still have an old short wave that is a console tube type made in the 1940's. My mom bought it back in the 1970's , after a divorce and it was her and us boys against the world. We didn't have a decent tv, and this old radio held our attention better than that ratty old B&W TV set we had. Unfortunately it failed one night in 1980. I kept it for the memories. Times were pretty hard for us back then, but that radiowas a focal point for our little busted up family for a couple of years during our lean times. I always meant to restore it, but could never afford it. But it is a nice piece of furniture anyway.

Jim99, Douglas Carey and Norcalnewb like this.
  14. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Here's a quick photo of it-

[​IMG]

God Bless, and have a great day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

At least you still have it, and you still could restore it. I had one from when I was a boy and in my 30's I sold it. When it's gone, it's gone.

Norcalnewb likes this.