RazoRock Hawk (Black or satin)- opinions?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by targa88, Aug 2, 2017.

1. targa88

targa88 Well-Known Member

Wondering if there is any commentary and/or comparison for the Hawk (V1 of V2) with vintage or new SEs on the market.
    Having tried a Mongoose when they were first releases- the main issue was the width of the blade - which I have it to be less than manoeuvrable. Also presented certain challenges for dome busting when you could not see/get the angle of attack.
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

RaZorBurn123 and BambulanceMan like this.
  2. jar

jar Well-Known Member

I prefer the Hawk to the General but GEMs over either of those.

BambulanceMan likes this.
  3. targa88

targa88 Well-Known Member

91 views = no love or no opinions...

4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

The Hawk was pretty much my least favorite of modern SE's I tried. Well made, but overly mild, and zero heft. It edged out the V2 Alumigoose for me, but that's about it.

I didn't quite understand what you meant about width of the Mongoose: if you didn't like that, how would the Hawk be better???

Of all the SE's I have used, I prefer the General, and the Supply Injector. If being nimble was a concern, the Supply is an absolutely awesome razor.

There are so many less than $100 choices today, everybody wins.

DesertTime likes this.
  5. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I agree about the hawk, which is unfortunate because it is a beautiful razor. They have an update of the Black Hawk (V2) with some interesting tweaks. Oddly, they borrow some design features of the Colonial razors.

The Brass General is my favorite razor (though I will jump on its stainless sibling when it's released in September). I was a bit disappointed with Supply in terms of getting a decent finish, though it's pretty amazing on that first pass. Perhaps it's just me. But I have new hope for it with the Schick Proline type-B blades. I tired one in the three plate and the razor turned into a beast. I'll try the two plate next.

The Schick Proline P-type blade gives me better results in the hawk, but still a bit short of the General. I think with some work and the right blade, the Hawk would be an excellent shaver. It's just so much lighter than anything I've used before, it takes more adjustments than I've given it thus far.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. DesertTime

Apologies to the OP. My last post drifted off topic. To answer his question: Black. Especially since the Black is an updated version of the original Hawk and, as far as I know, the changes are not yet available in the satin version. And, to my eye, the Black looks very cool.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  7. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

satin V2 is available https://www.italianbarber.com/products/razorock-satin-silver-single-edge-razor-v2

DesertTime likes this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Same shave. I have a SS Hawk and the Black Hawk. I do favor the SS.

BambulanceMan and DesertTime like this.
  9. DesertTime

is that the Stainless Steel Hawk or the satin aluminum?

BambulanceMan likes this.
  10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Stainless Steel Hawk, I think the aluminum Hawk is a fantastic razor also.

BambulanceMan and DesertTime like this.
  11. DesertTime

I've been using the Black V2 more. It only weighs about 36 grams, so it's very light compared to what I typically use. But it's really growing on me. It is a terrific razor. I am completely sold on these AC style razors and there are many excellent ones available at decent prices. The SS hawk is hard to get, but I'm waiting.

Thanks for your input and advice. You started me down this road a few months ago.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  12. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, there are no vintage SE razors that use the AC style blade format. Only GEM and Injector blades are used in both vintage and modern.

Concerning the Hawk, I have V1 DLC SS and it is a decent razor. Not as efficient as my Brass General, but it still gives a good shave with nice balance and feel. I will say this, put a Feather Super in it and it amps it up very nicely. Not overly aggressive, just a nice and smooth blade feel shave that puts it up there almost Cobra Classic like. I can't speak of either V1 or V2 Hawks in aluminum for I have neither. But they have positive results with most....

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  13. riffin

riffin Active Member

I just got an aluminum V2 hot off the press! I've had only two shaves with it so far. First I used an AC Pro. I had to double check to see if I'd actually put a blade in it, it was so gentle! I got a really good shave out of it. I don't think I could nick myself if I tried. It wasn't the closest shave I'd ever had, but it was not far off. And the contrast between the gentleness and closeness was very surprising. Next time I used a Pro Super. I could feel the edge this time and its in contention for the closed shave ever. I value a gentle shave. My skin and hair can't deal with more aggressive razors.

This is a superb shaver and the are not many blades as good as the Feather AC. It may surpass my goto of several years now, A Weck T-handle surgical razor w/ Personna hair shaper blades.