Blade gap is uneven in my Gillette Slim

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by CloseShave889, Aug 6, 2017.

1. CloseShave889

CloseShave889 New Member

Hello. I noticed the blade in my Slim Adjustable sits crooked on the indicator dial side. Almost like a slant. Also, I see more of the T-bar on the other side. I can't seem upload any pics because the file is too large. What could cause this problem with my razor?

2. Nick N Cut

Nick N Cut New Member

It sounds like maybe it took a fall at one point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RaZorBurn123 and Douglas Carey like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    It would help if you reduced the file size of your pictures and posted them.

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Start an Imgur.com account, upload your pic there, then post a link to the pic here.

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    You can "adjust" those misalignments if you are careful. I had that with a fatboy I once owned. I was able to get the gaps perfect with patience.

6. CloseShave889

CloseShave889 New Member

I reduced the image resolution and was able to upload them. Again, the side of the indicator dial has the narrowest gap while the other side reveals more of the T-bar. I also noticed this on my fatboy.

Attached Files:

7. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    You should be able to bend it back into alignment if you go slow and carefully. I used a feeler gauge when I fixed mine. It worked great afterwards.

8. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

you can straighten that one up just with your hands, to be honest the difference is so minimal that you wont even notice when you shave with it

9. CloseShave889

CloseShave889 New Member

how did you use the feeler gauge? Can I use a screw driver? I tried bending it with it and it always bent right back.

Douglas Carey and Jayaruh like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I actually used pliers and a cloth to prevent scratching to tweak the bar. I used the feeler gauge to get measure the blade gap.

11. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I have a hellaciously cockeyed 1940's SS that I'm debating on trying to fix myself. About the only things that _aren't_ warped are the handle and the doors. The comb/safety bars are bent different ways, the central bar seems to be much higher on one side than the other, the baseplate is cocked sideways...

12. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Sounds like it either had a very bad fall or a rough life.

13. Bookworm

I'm thinking a really bad fall. The center bar is bad enough that you get a lot of resistance opening and closing it. I had to clean out all the crud first - other than that, it's in good shape. Tiny plating loss under the head, normal scoring on the doors, and that's about it. I'll play with it. I have others, so even if I can't fix it, it's not much of a loss. Maybe I'll send to the Captain for spare parts.

14. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I found a ndc superspeed that was in rough shape, :sad024:.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  15. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

I hope everything works out ok for you with that razor...it's a cool piece.
    I had to chime in to say how impressed i am with the help, ideas and knowledge shared by our fellow TSD members. I got lucky when I ordered my first vintage razor to start my wet shaving experience. I had scoured this site for hours learning about what to look for buying a vintage razor, online or "in the wild". Using that info from dozens of posts, both my gf and I have been able to "score" some very ,very nice razors, and we both really enjoy sharing our new hobby experiences.
    CloseShave889...thanks for this post...great way for us and others to learn even more about the tools involved in our hobby! TSD is such a fun and informative site!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  16. CloseShave889

CloseShave889 New Member

Can anyone recommend a place or person I can send this to get repaired? I tried bending it with a screwdriver but the bar just pops back into it's original place. Thank you.

17. Bookworm

Captain Murphy - I'm sure one of the others will contact you with his email address.

18. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I use electrician's pliers with Duct Tape on the jaws to align my eBay wins. Almost every adjustable I buy has uneven blade gaps that have to be tweaked. The trick is to bend in a such a way that you are torquing the whole safety bar, not just bending the side you want to fix. That won't happen. It is an issue with the entire length of the guard, not just one side. The uneven blade gap is simply a symptom of a crooked safety bar.

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The TSD search feature, top right, is invaluable.

20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Good to know.