The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

On its way to me. I've always liked the look of these Bow Razors. It looks like it needs a little work. Hopefully, not too much. Any idea on the history of these Wade & Butcher varients?? Age??

Razor- Wade & Butcher "Bow Razor". $3.46 :angelic007:
    s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

This arrived today and I had my first shave with it this evening. Brian Brown Custom 6/8.
    No restoration necessary.....:D

[​IMG]

Jack19, ninjack, Jim99 and 7 others like this.
  3. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Very nice! Even better at under $4

Billyfergie, Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  4. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

WOW

Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  5. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Today was the first shave with my new arrival. It is a wonderful razor.
    Art Razor Pegasus[​IMG]

Navarrsky, Paul76, Jim99 and 7 others like this.
  6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

How was the factory edge on this beauty Kevin?

Billyfergie, Karl G and Kokak like this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Fairly smooth...but I may give a touch up with jnats & nagura. I've grown accustomed to the soft feel these stones yield.

Billyfergie, Spyder, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Below a German built razor for Opps barber supply in Pueblo, Co. Good news is the discoloration on the blade is a stain. I'm sure it can be polished out without using any low grit abrasive:). This should easily polish up without un-pinning. The edge looks to be in excellent condition.

IMG_1413.JPG IMG_1414.JPG
    Below is a Flic. I've been keeping an eye out for another Flic. The gold wash is in decent shape and overall condition is very good. Some hone wear but nothing to worry about. The box is in very good shape as an added bonus.

IMG_1415.JPG IMG_1416.JPG IMG_1417.JPG

Both razors came cheap from sellers that typically don't deal in shaving items:). Only a couple of bad pictures, so I had to "roll the dice" on these, which panned out.

AGHisBBS, mrchick, Jim99 and 5 others like this.
  9. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I Got this Beautiful Factory Fresh C. Myers & Sons 6/8th Recently to Turn Over..But..As from Yesterday its All Mine & Part of My Collection as I Just Couldn't Bring Myself to Sell it..:happy097:

I Booted Out an SR from My Collection Yesterday to Cover this One..The C. Myers & Sons Razors were Also the Same Lineage & Company that Made Kropp Sheffield SRs..In My Humble Opinion Razors from this Era of Production were the Amongst the Best of the Best of Sheffield Steel & Ground Almost Perfectly..This Razor was Ground as Straight as an Arrow..;)

I Honed the Myers & Sons on My Naniwa Super Stone Progression & Finished it on a 16 K Escher Thuri Natural Stone..I Got this Razor for 16 Notes English on UK Ebay..:D

My Next Shave.. :happy108:

Billy..:chores016:

ninjack, AGHisBBS, Karl G and 5 others like this.
  10. DaltonGang

It's a looker all right. So, which of your razors got the boot??

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Well, since this old Hibbard catalog from the late 1890s lists a W&B Bow razor for $8.63 a dozen (.72¢ each!), I'd place your bow model, listed at $2.50 somewhere in the mid-1920s.
    The 'Bow' was an valued historical symbol to the British because of the English Longbow—a mainstay in the 100-year war. Possibly why the icon was used for that particular model.
    Most appear in the latter half of the 19th and into the 2oth century.

Google ChromeScreenSnapz036.jpg

Keithmax, AGHisBBS, Karl G and 5 others like this.
  12. DaltonGang

Great article. Thanks. It just arrived today, so, the restoration begins. It looks like it's going to be a somewhat easy restoration. Just some rebounding of the bevel, and a little sanding.

Karl G, Kokak and Billyfergie like this.
  13. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    No idea of the history, but I own the exact same razor...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navarrsky, Keithmax, AGHisBBS and 6 others like this.
  14. Heljestrand23

Snagged this guy in the wild today, only needed a little polish and she looks beautiful!
    Herm. Konejung, 1807 1/3 Made in Germany. 5/8 Hollow Ground
    IMG_7279.JPG
    IMG_7278.JPG IMG_7277.JPG

Keithmax, AGHisBBS, Karl G and 5 others like this.
  15. DaltonGang

Hopefully mine will look that good, after I'm finished with it.

Karl G, Kokak, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  16. Heljestrand23

Hopefully mine will still look as good after I'm finished honing it..... I'm trying to set bevels, key word "trying......"

Karl G, Jim99, Kokak and 3 others like this.
  17. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

There are some nice straight razors in this thread. Hmmm...maybe I need another :signs136:

Keithmax, Karl G, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  18. DaltonGang

You say most of the Bow Razors appeared in the late 1800's and into the 1900's? There should be quite a few out there. But, I see very few out there in decent condition. Were they limited production, or a higher, or lower end Wade And Butcher??

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Karl G, Kokak, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  19. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I Punted My Keen Cutter Simmons Solingen 6/8th .I Brought in from the USA..These were Made in Germany for the USA Market..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

ninjack, Navarrsky, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Considering they selling them 'by the dozen' in the US via a dept store catalog, I don't think they were limited production items. Most of the Bows that I've seen were late Victorian era and turn if the century. There may be some produced earlier in the 19th century