Daily shaving as a beginner. Questions.

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Talneharus, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Talneharus

Talneharus Well-Known Member

That's what I thought too! They had 11 pics of it's. looks like it opens fine and it still has the cap on the TTO knob. I was more than happy to drop the $50 they wanted for it.

2. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Great price for one that looks to be awesome shape. It will serve you very well. Gillette Fatboys are great razors. Good luck with it.

3. Talneharus

Thanks! I hope to make it my go to razor! Just have to agonizingly wait till Friday for my Gillette to arrive here in Gillette haha

Enrico likes this.
  4. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Even better. Hard to beat a Fat Boy. Nine razors in one. That's a nice looking one too! Despite the fact that it's adjustable I'd avoid the temptation to go crazy with the dial at first. Your best bet is to set it on 3 or maybe 4 and don't touch the dial for a month.

Terry Williams and Talneharus like this.
  5. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Send me a PM (private message) with your mailing address and I'll mail you a blade sampler pack.

Terry Williams, Zykris, RyX and 2 others like this.
  6. Talneharus

So finally shaves after a full 72 hour hiatus. As luck would have it my Proraso red arrived and even got a free 5 pack of Astra SP blades from westcoastshaving.com which was a pleasant surprise since I forgot they offered those for free with any purchase. And whooooo boy between all the advice the amazing soap, and the new blades I feel amazing! No irritation so far too! :thanks::happy108:

7. BaylorGator

Fantastic! Congrats.

Zykris likes this.
  8. Talneharus

I won't claim perfection but hot diggity is it an improvement! Thanks again folks!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    RyX and Zykris like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

As for cleaning your Fat boy when it arrives. Hot tap water, blue dawn dish soap and an old toothbrush. I personally give it a swish in alcohol after that, (each to there own ways) and you ready to shave.

RyX and Zykris like this.
  10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I use to suffer from some serious razor burn on my neck when I first started TWS, it took me a while to figure out that I didn't need to over shave.
    Getting a CCS became my goal, and I now no longer deal with razor burn.
    Prep is so important! Use a pre-shave.

Terry Williams likes this.
  11. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

As to blades, BaylorGator is correct. The Walgreens store should have a generic brand of blades made in Israel. Our Walgreens carries them and they carry the VDH. The generic blades made in Israel worked well for me. The K-Mart in my hometown carries Gillette Platinum Plus DE blades. They also have a generic DE blade, but I don't remember if they were made in Israel or Vietnam. I tend to stay away from the Vietnamese made blades. Another brick and mortar store in town carries Personna Blues (5 pack) and Derbys (10 pack).

Finally, I was wondering what your post shave includes. A few weeks after I started with wet shaving I began using a post shave balm. I tried several brands, but with some time my go-to brand is Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm. Because of my work I shaved everyday, and including the post shave balm was a tremendous addition to my shaving experience. It really helps my skin to recover quickly from the shave. I retired a month ago so now I don't have the need to shave everyday. Nevertheless, I love to shave now so it's still a few times a week.

RyX likes this.
  12. Talneharus

I guess the Walgreens here in Gillette just sucks all they had was VDH brand stuffs. Think they had another brand of blades but I can't remember they were studio or style 35 something or other and was 5 bucks a pack.

As for post shave I uses Aqua Velva 5 in 1. Then if I feel I need sent I'll splash on some Stetson by Coty for some nice scent after the Aqua Velva is full absorbed.

Paul Turner, Terry Williams and RyX like this.
  13. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Glad to hear things are improving.

if I may add, IMHO...
    Head on over to the 30-day thread. Introduce yourself to a great crew over there whose penchant for shenanigans is exceeded only by their enthusiasm to pass on their great knowledge to newbies on a daily shave basis. Get into their 30-day rule, and with commensurate effort on your part, you will be amazed at your progress after just 30 days.

Cheers,
    RT

jtspartan, RyX and Talneharus like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Good to see you @Rufus T!

Thanks for pointing the New Guy to the hardest working thread here at TSD. If @Talneharus shows up and joins The 30 Day Crew we'll have him shaving with a straight in short order. ;)

Rufus T. likes this.
  15. BaylorGator

No doubt, Rick. He's already from Wyoming and wears a cowboy hat. That's the kind of cowboy swagger I imagine myself to have when I pick up the straight razor. He's already got that part, so I'm pretty sure @Talneharus has already got the rest of us beat right out of the gate!

RyX likes this.
  16. Yossarian04

Yossarian04 Well-Known Member

I had a lot of irritation on the neck area around my adam's apple. This is still the easiest area for me to get razor bumps/burn. Now I only do one WTG pass and try to use very light pressure. I still get bumps sometimes, but it has improved greatly. A good aftershave splash or balm helps too. I'm only about 1.5 months into this game btw.

The Proraso red smells sooo good.

B

RyX and sdguero like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

That's a tough spot to conquer. Sometimes the beard grows in a swirl making it difficult to know just which way to make your pass.
    Have you tried pulling the skin to one side to help flatten it out?

18. ColtJustice

ColtJustice Well-Known Member

I'm not really one to give advice in this area, but I can tell you what I've experienced. I've learned that too many short strokes over the same patch of face will cause razor burn. I would go over a patch like 3-4 times before moving on to another patch, or alternate between two patches for 3-4 passes. After 3 passes on my face, WTG, ACTG, and ATG, the Alum bar would start a fire on my face. lol, My face is pretty tough, but my neck not so much, and I'd have to put a moisturizer on it to get it to go away.
    So now I just take 2 passes on a patch and move on. My shaves have been much better with less irritation.

RyX likes this.
  19. jsw41

jsw41 Member

I know I'm late to this thread, but I find some difficulty with shaving the right side of my neck. I'm right-handed and shave with my right hand and I find it awkward to hold the correct angle when shaving from adams apple to ear. When I maintained a light touch I found results to be much better.

dustmite likes this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

You are invited to join us in The 30 Day Rule Focus group. Just a bunch of members that share tips, tricks, and the occasional shenanigan. It's a no pressure environment where we share our issues with shaving, family, items in the news, etc. Join any time, stay as long as you enjoy the 30 Day Crew.

There's a link in my signature below.

jsw41 and jtspartan like this.