The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

J. Eyre Co. Greaves & Sons Sheffield
    je.jpg

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

3. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

This was just dropped off at my desk...

H. Boker & CO "King Cutter"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All it needs is to be honed.

Karl G, jimjo1031, Jim99 and 5 others like this.
  4. DaltonGang

Newly acquired, and a long story.

Wade and Butcher, Faux Frameback. New scales. It looks fantastic in person.
    P8111133.JPG

5. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Picked up a similar razor not long ago!
    Mine needs a lot of work....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl G, AGHisBBS, Billyfergie and 7 others like this.
  6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

You really have upped your game! Next thing you know; you're gonna start acquiring customs :p

Karl G, Billyfergie, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  7. Heljestrand23

Forgot to mention yours looks awesome!

8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

It looks fantastic in the picture too!

9. DaltonGang

Thanks guys. This one was a major headache. It wasn't worth the $16.15 I paid for it, even if everything looked great.
    Story: I purchased the razor, and the seller stated it was mailed, and eBay gave an expected delivery date. I went on vacation and had all my mail picked up, by a trusted neighbor. The delivery date for the razor came and went, but since no tracking number, I couldn't verify. I got a hold of the seller, and he said it was delivered a couple of weeks ago. He then put it in the purchase order. Sure enough, USPS said it was delivered on the 24th. I asked several neighbors if they had a package wrongly delivered, and it was a no go. The seller immediately refunded my money, no questions asked.
    It still bugged me, a week later, so I decided to research it some more, the listing was taken down, and the tracking number disappeared. I had to ask the seller for the info, and tracking number again, and I told him I would reimburse him if I did find it. So, he sent it, again, and I took the tracking number to the post office to have them GPS the package, which e 're it was last scanned, and dropped off. Low and behold, it was dropped off, several blocks away, according to the GPS. I went to the address, and heard people inside, when I knocked. Nobody answered. I came back, later that night, and kids answered. I asked to speak with adults, and a twenty something girl came to the door. When asked about the package, she said they have it, but how did she know it was mine. I told here the name on it, and to hand it over. She looked surprised and said she just didn't know what to do with it, when it arrived. I thought, hmmm, "bull #$&@=+#". But I was nice and said thanks. Come to find, the seller wrote the wrong address on the box, and it was delivered to the address he put down. I contacted the seller, and told him I would pay for the razor, again. At least the mystery was solved.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    Mr. Oldschool, Jim99, Karl G and 8 others like this.
  10. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Stumbled on this Barbers Delight and passed it up then went back and picked it up. May try to learn to rescale it. We shall see...[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Jim99, Karl G, AGHisBBS and 7 others like this.
  11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Good for you! I would hope a buyer would got to that trouble if I was the seller.

12. Heljestrand23

Wow, that's a struggle! I would have shrugged my shoulders and moved on, there really must have been something about that razor.

Karl G, Billyfergie, Kokak and 2 others like this.
  13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Scott, it was worth the effort, you did goof!

Karl G, Kokak, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My package arrived from the auction site vendor supposedly containing my recent purchase of s lovely vintage Greaves & Sons 7/8" Sheffield-made razor. Imagine my surprise when I opened the box and discovered an old razor from Hartford Cutlery...:ashamed001:
    Needless to say I wrote a note to the seller along with images below. They're a Monday-Friday operation (Goodwill) so I'll have to wait for a response. Odds are slim they didn't ship out the Greaves elsewhere so I'm more concerned about the refund rather than actually acquiring the correct razor. We'll see...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Navarrsky, Jim99, Karl G and 7 others like this.
  15. Heljestrand23

Ouch.....

16. DaltonGang

Trust me, I feel your pain..

17. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

IMG_1745.JPG
    Just picked this up on EBay. Should clean up nicely.

Jim99, AGHisBBS, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  18. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Very nice :happy088: Can't wait to see the outcome:)

19. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Kevin
    Hopefully Goodwill just shipped the wrong razor and can make good on the Greaves.Hope it works out for you.I have a soft spot for William Greaves Razors .They are one of my favorite Sheffield Makers.

AGHisBBS, Kokak, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

you & me both, my friend! Thanks!

Kokak, Karl G, Spyder and 1 other person like this.