Info needed on Fatboy

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tylervanstone, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Tylervanstone

Tylervanstone Active Member

I remember reading somewhere that I have to have the Fatboy's wings opened to change the shaving stetting

Is there any thing I need to know about this razor before I use it? any help would be greatly welcome

jimjo1031 likes this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Do you know what year your #195 is? Here's the manufacturers brochure for mine, a 1959 model.
    1959 Fat Boy.jpg

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

There is a certain amount of tension when you tighten down the razor. The last 1/4 turn locks it in place. It's been suggested to loosen the razor that 1/4 turn or more when adjusting the setting. Don't think the doors need to be all the way open.

Jim99 and jimjo1031 like this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Although it's been mentioned that when the Fatboy came out, it really didn't need to be loosened any, but because of it's age, it wouldn't be a bad idea to loosening the knob a bit. I do that to all my vintage Gillette adjustables.

Rosengaard and RyX like this.
  5. Rosengaard

Rosengaard Well-Known Member

So Jimjo... this is also the case with the Black Beauty??

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Yeah, I just don't want to have anything break. Better safe than sorry.

cliffb599 and Rosengaard like this.
  7. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

When the razor is tightened for a shave, the blade is rendered under tension and immovable. This tension in the mechanism will exert undue strain on to the dial if one is to adjust it like this. Gillette didn't mention this because they never expected their adjustables to last this long, nor did they wanted them to. They would like to see you getting another razor from them as they produced so many different models along the years for this purpose. To convince you to get their latest offering. This is easy to observe when one adjusts the fatboy in the relaxed position. The dial moves in an effortless way giving a reassuring click along the process. Adjusting it OTOH in the tight position will show that the knob will not move as effortlessly or reassuringly.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    RyX and Jim99 like this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It's not necessary to take the tension off the "Doors"(correct term), when adjusting the Gillette Fatboy, or Slim Adjustable. Loosening them does make it easier though. I loosen them.

RyX, RaZorBurn123 and Jim99 like this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I do what the others have said and loosen the doors slightly before adjusting. Taking the pressure off the razor before making adjustments is always a good idea and certainly doesn't hurt anything.

I'm not what some would refer to as a fatboy fan, but I will say that it is my favorite TTO razor and in my top 5 safety razors of all time.

@Tylervanstone , I think you're going to like this razor.

DaltonGang likes this.
  10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I would imagine that back in 1959 when a Gent bought a new Fatboy and went to adjust the dial he did not loosen or open the silo doors.

11. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Some of us did. It was just easier to turn if it was not fully tightened. To be honest that was in 1960/61 and not 1959 but I didn't get my Fat Boy until my Senior Year in High School.

AGHisBBS, RyX and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  12. Tylervanstone

so what do I do? I'm confused please give me some guidance I've never used this kind of razor before please give me some help

13. Tylervanstone

Its a 1960 fatboy

14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

When you are using any of the vintage adjustables, most of us recommend loosening the doors a bit to set it to the desired number. Then, tighten it and shave.

entropy1049 and RyX like this.
  15. Kypros Christodoulides

What Sara-s said.

Sara-s likes this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Split the difference. Somewhere between the original instructions & what 57 years of experience have taught owners.
    Here's your 1960 paperwork.
    1960 Fat Boy British Set F4.jpg

ninjack and AGHisBBS like this.
  17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs011:
    Just release the tension. Not necessary to have the doors wide open. Besides, that draws flies. :happy097:

RyX likes this.
  18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Adjust it whichever way you wish. It's your razor. Then shave with it. Can't be more simple than that. Or, you mail it to me, and I will make the adjustments for you, :p

RyX likes this.
  19. Kypros Christodoulides

It's simpliciry itself. Just make sure you adjust it and then tighten. If you have to adjust mid-shave loosen the silo doors 1/2 turn, adjust aggressiveness, tighten and continue. If this is difficult to understand, then someone should post a how to video.

20. Tylervanstone

please post a video I would be very thankful