August 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jul 31, 2017.

?

Using an adjustable this month? Which one?

1. Gillette Fatboy

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  4. Gillette Toggle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Gillette Executive

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. Merkur Futur

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  7. Merkur Progress

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  8. Russian Ideal or Mladost

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. The original adjustable - a straight razor baby!

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  10. Cookies....just cookies. Seriously, can we just stick with the stupid cookies?!?!?!

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great photo Jim. The Rubberset and Futur make a very nice pairing.

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

August 10, 2017
    OneBlade Genesis V2
    Feather FHS (3)
    WDC-6 with Tuxedo Synthetic
    Route 66 Bay Lime Twist
    Folsom & Co Shambala

[​IMG]

This week seems to have gone by very quickly. The WDC-6 and Tuxedo work so well together. As expected the R66 Bay Lime Twist was easy to lather. Much better shave this morning. I will call it 2 and 1/4 passes. I decided to go over my right lower neck a final time ATG. Just wow. I will keep that trick in mind as it might just be the final piece of the puzzle. I hope everyone has a great Thursday.

3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, buddy. Have a great day!

4. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Clint!
    Great picture, Clint! Speaking of nice brush and razor pairs, your WDC and Genesis have been looking great.

5. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Cold Water.jpg
    SOTD August 10, 2017

Blade: Chinese Schick
    Razor: Schick J1 injector
    Brush: Jayaruh boar
    Lather: Soap Commander Courage
    WTG, touch up

Nice and easy shave with the J1 injector. This sample of Courage is going strong - 19 shaves at this point. The Jayaruh boar is still a little stiff but I'm trying to use it and break it in. Overall an enjoyable shave.

Have a great day!

SOTD 8-10-17.JPG

6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Welcome! Have fun!

7. mrchick

I'm starting to wonder if I'll make it the entire month with the MWF. It's actually working well and I'm starting to get bored
    Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap
    TSD 30DC LE Brush
    Koraat 8/8 Razor
    Lucky Tiger
    Pinaud Lilac Vegetal After Shave
    Have fun![​IMG]

8. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

While I agree with both of you guys and do love my synthetics, for some reason I still reach for my Silvertip Badger brushes 9 out of 10 shaves. Can't tell you why, exactly. I just prefer them.

Welcome @Talneharus!

9. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Nice 3 pass shave with SDM and the Slim. I put the Slim on 6 for today’s shave.
    Razor Gillette Slim on 6
    Blade Shark Chrome 3rd use
    Brush Razorock Bruce
    Soap Stirling SDM
    Post Alum
    AS. Stirling SDM
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0939.JPG
    10 August 2017 Sure Happy It's Thursday OLD Blade Focus Shave
    Before I get started, I'd like to welcome @Talneharus to the 30 Day Crew! You're gonna love it! Now, on with our regularly scheduled Shave...

Pre: Agua caliente, soap from the container, hot towel
    Razor: Gillette 1911 Single Ring OLD Type
    Blade: Voskie
    Brush: Rubberset 303
    Soap: Catie's Bubbles "Tonsorial Parlour"
    Post: Hot/Cold water rinse, alum block, cold towelx2, Dominello Vitali Calming Post Shave Moisturizer
    After Shave: Fine Accoutrements "American Blend"

Keeping with the "old school" theme, this morning I went with Catie's Bubbles "Tonsorial Parlour" soap. The Rubberset 303 "continued along the path" whipping up a great lather in the Old Spice mug. By the time it was ready, there was enough lather for about 5 or 6 passes. However, with the OLD/Voskhod combo doing the cutting, it only took 2.5. By the time it was all said and done, I was BBS and looking good. After the usual post ministrations, splashed on some "American Blend" and I was smelling good as well!
    Old School Shave/Check
    Have a great shave, have a great day!

11. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Ever Ready 200T with Envy White Two Band by @clint64
    Mystic Water Jasmine
    Blackland Blackbird OC with TRIAD Ti
    Polsilver Super Iridium
    Fine Italian Citrus
    ADP Colonia Essenza

[​IMG]

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim. I have really enjoyed this lineup. Everything just seems to work really well together.

13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Those razor scales are simply stunning.

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I thought I recognized that brush. ;) How's it working for you. Love the new Triad handle. :happy096:

15. mrchick

Have I said lately how much I like the handle on my 30DC LE Brush?
    Great job @jtspartan

16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

+1. I agree. The ergonomics of the handle are fantastic. Great job @jtspartan

17. Norcalnewb

Wonderful picture, Mark! The brush looks great!

18. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

First post in this thread!

Greetings 30DCer's! I've just wandered in, my previous TSD habitat was the "Straight Shave of the Day" thread, but as a newbie DE shaver, I'm looking for a new place to hang my hat <leans back on two chair legs, puts feet on table, crosses arms on chest>. Lucky You! I recognize some of you troublemakers from the SSotD thread. Nice to see some familiar faces :eatdrink047:.

Here's my deal. I've been straight shaving for years. My straight technique is <ahem...> if I may say, pretty darn good. DFS++/BBS- in two passes with a little buffing. Fast too. ALWAYS ZERO irritation, redness, weepers, or nicks. My DE technique? Thus far into my experience, my awesome straight technique has not crossed over to my efforts to obtain a comfortable, irritation free DE shave. So my DE technique is, shall we say...developing :D. My neck line is super sensitive to DE shaving. I'm super careful about angle and pressure, but still struggle with irritation along my lower neck. I've tried mixing up prep, using a pre-shave product, cold water shaving and a variety of other techniques, but still pay the piper come alum time. ATG with a straight along my neck? Like angel kisses. ATG along my neck with any DE and blade combo I've tried? Bring The Pain.

This is where you guys come in. After wandering in and reading through this thread (had a few hours to kill waiting for my daughter at the dentist...), it's tumbled to me that a hardline 30 day focus is what I need to get my DE technique sorted. Nicely coincidental to the purpose of this thread!

My hypothesis is this: With careful attention to detail and technique, and with a focus on consistency, I can attain shaves from a DE at the same perfect level of comfort that I can with a straight razor.

SO! In my quest to find the perfect daily driver (the RazoRock Baby Smooth has come closest so far), I have a Timeless Ti 0.68mm gap scalloped bar DE arriving Saturday. It's my hope that this razor can become my daily "Go-To" shaver.

With this in mind, beginning Saturday, I do solemnly swear to use only the following shave tools for 30 days: The Timeless DE with Voskhods and Arko lathered with an SOC boar. For post shave I'll use alum followed by a witch hazel splash and finished with Nivea Sensitive ASB. So help me God. I'm confident the tools are up to the task, and honestly expect that my Day 30 shave is going to be infinitely better than my Day 1 shave. I'm going to hone in on this DE technique thing, and you, Gentile Reader, shall be the unfortunate beneficiaries of my droning chronicle. I don't expect perfect results on Day 30, but I am hoping for significant improvement.

I do have some guilt about the whole "Adjustable August" thing. I currently have a lovely Slim, and a second Slim and a Fat Boy inbound from Delta Echo (anybody know the current turn-around time on his "made to order" razors?) but have a strong desire to turn this inbound Timeless into my DD, and this is a great way to dial it in. And I'm chomping at the bit to get this experiment under way, so Timeless it is!

Thanks for listening. This looks like a fun place to hang out. You guys are madmen. I feel at home already.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  19. Norcalnewb

Welcome to the thread! It is always fun and helpful.

20. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Thank you. I'm glad that it worked out well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.