A question about Brassing

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tylervanstone, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Tylervanstone

Tylervanstone Active Member

Hi, is brassing on a razor life threatening for the razor ? can it spread? any way to fix it? dose it get progressively worse? I really need your advice, its much appreciated, Thanks

2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Brassing on a razor is merely the plating coming off the razor; exposing the brass underneath. It only looks undesirable, but doesn't shorten it's life. The older gold washed Gillettes are notorious for brassing; some people re-plate to original or nicer plating.

Terry Williams likes this.
  3. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Certainly not. It's a brass razor that has been coated with a substance to make it look silver. Once the silver coating is removed the brass shines thru. It's no less structurally sound or durable but it is slightly less silver in color. Is that a bad thing? Well maybe in the way a premo restored ford mach one is better than a Mach 1 daily driver. They are both just as tight but the driver isn't as pretty. Personally, I love something that has a story to tell over a "like factory new" showboat.

You can always have it refinished. Usually for twice to triple the prince of a razor that you could get with a factory fresh finish.
    Try Rhodium. Or black chrome. Both look pretty sweet.

4. Tylervanstone

If I wash it in my ultra sonic cleaner will the brassing get worse? it only runs for 30 seconds

5. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Should not. Why US it at all? Why not just soak it in a hot bath with a touch or dawn or scrubbing bubbles.

6. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

It shouldn't be a problem unless the plating is flaking off versus wearing through. If the brassing bothers you, you can send it off to be replated. A new coat of plating will likely be much thicker than the original and would probably last a lifetime. On the other hand if you don't mind the brass showing through, it will not hurt anything to use it as is.

7. Tylervanstone

so it should be 100%? I mean I take good care of my razors I am just worried so do I have any reason at all to worry there's hardly any brassing on the razor its Inside the head

8. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Really not a problem at all beyond aesthetics. Keep in mind that it took 50 years or so for your razors plating to start to wear through, and even if every bit of it was gone, you'd still have a hearty, functional razor.

mikewood likes this.
  9. Tylervanstone

wouldn't the guys of my fatboy spill out with no plaiting ?

Jorvaljr likes this.
  10. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Your Fat Boy is nickel plated brass. If every bit of the nickel disappeared, you'd have a fully functional brass Fat Boy remaining.

11. Tylervanstone

ok thanks!

12. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

No. Think of the nickel ( silverish ) plating like paint. That's all that is coming off. Underneath the plating is brass, which is what the razor is made of. Here is an example of severe brassing
    IMG_7610.jpg

There is not physical issues with the razor other than looking ugly. Your razor is fine. You can use with no issues. It will not fall apart. I have a couple of razors that all the gold came off and it's all brass. Personally I think it looks cool

Terry Williams and entropy1049 like this.