Why do some shaving tutorials argue to do the opposite of "riding the cap"

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by SlaveShaver, Jul 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Exactly this. ^^

"Riding the Cap" is simply a method of shaving with the absolute lowest angle that a razor will engage the blade to your face. It is a good starting point for many new shavers, because [most] people find it less irritating than a steeper scraping angle. It is also a good tactic when using a new razor, but not all razors shave at their best when using it. That just takes experience.

Nobody here is going to tell you either way is wrong. I will say that many many new people have solved comfort issues by riding the cap. Try each method for a couple of weeks, or even do a focus with each, and decide for yourself.

2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011:

clint64 and Norcalnewb like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Irritation is almost always angle, and caused by scraping. My method was developed because Geo's angle advice is suboptimal, so I wrote my own. Feel free to try either way. However, it's clear you understand both methods, and I feel like you just constantly rephrase the question. I am not willing to over analyze this to death, it's boring. Good luck with your shaves.

brit, RyX, BigMark83 and 1 other person like this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Use what works best for your face.

BigMark83 likes this.
  5. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

As others have said, the angle you want to use can vary from razor to razor. If youre using a 3 or 2-piece, the angle is different than if youre using a TTO because of the thickness of the head. With a Fatboy, you have to ride the cap a lot more than you would with a Tech.
    IMO, too much of a fuss is made over blade angle. You can feel when the blade is touching your skin. Its really not as hard as some Youtubers make it out to be.

RyX, Terry Williams, Eeyore and 2 others like this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    For a long time, I thought that I was slicing, when actually I was scraping. So, while it may not be a big deal to a seasoned shaver, it is a great way to discover a better shave.

7. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Do whatever works best for you. Every face is different.

8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

One other thing that causes irritation: making multiple passes in an area after the lather is removed. Not saying the op is doing it, but it was a bad habit I had to in-learn. Residual bad habits from carts, so to speak.

Dansco, RyX and jsw41 like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

try both and see what works for you.nobody is wrong, just different.

10. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Technique trumps tools and differnt tools sometimes require different techniques. You can't break the rules unless you know them.
    A lot of babble I know, but I said it before and I'll say it again. The best advise I ever took from this forum was the 30 day rule. I stuck strictly to this. Once completed then changed 1 variable at a time (blade, razor, soap, brush whatever)
    Until you master the technique required for your face, nothing you do will improve the quality of your shaves.
    As for videos, well, some are good, most are awful or are pushing a product.
    Sooner or later you have to master your technique, and if that means for you doing as this video shows, great, if it is "riding the cap" great as well. There is no "one size fits all" here. angle, pressure (or lack thereof) blade/razor combo etc etc...one can get paralysis by analysis here.
    It's not that complicated. Pick 1 razor, 1 type of blade, 1 soap, 1 brush and use that combination exclusively for 30 shaves at a minimum. Experiment with it. One day it will just "click" and you will just know you're doing it right.

barbersurgeon, Bookworm, RyX and 3 others like this.
  11. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I'll agree with many of the posts previous - there's no One, True Way. The razors are different, the blades are a bit different, and people's faces are EXTREMELY different. For me, the biggest downside of touching the 'comb' to the face, then going _up_, is that you end up stripping lather away before the blade edge. Less of a problem for an open comb than a closed comb, but still an issue.

As for 'scraping' vs 'slicing' - even slicing is 'scraping'. It's just scraping at a VERY shallow angle, which allows the soap to help the blade move along with minimal to no damage. (otherwise, you couldn't nick yourself by the razor moving sideways) I would venture a guess that there is a substantial body of people that have skin that can withstand the shallow angle shaving, and possibly have hair that is much more angled out of the follicles than, say, me. For those, the shallow angle might give a better cut.

Am I going to test it? Nope, I've refined my personal technique, just like @Bama Samurai has done for himself, and it works for me. I'm just going to say DSDF (Different Strokes for Different Folks), and leave it at that.

12. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

When I'm using an Open Comb razor, if I see "cornrows of lather", I know my angle of attack is off.

13. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Why not hold the blade steady and just angle your face? Just saying...

Bookworm likes this.
  14. Bookworm

I think that's called "stretching"...

15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

No. People aren't that unique. I've seen too many "unique" issues solved with basic advice to believe that premise any longer. If I read your comments long enough, I'd think all this was too hard and go back to wearing a beard.

Attack angle never changes. Don't let your training wheels confuse you, it's the same at skin level regardless of razor style. And no, I won't respond when you tell me that I am wrong. I've seen it play out for too long now.

16. ColtJustice

ColtJustice Well-Known Member

That was when beards were more popular. lol :eatdrink013:

17. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Or just got some basic technique instruction from their own father, and found out what worked best for them over time ... after all, that is how I learned it as well (no YouTube in 1984).

Bookworm and RetLEO-07 like this.
  18. Bookworm

Hear! Hear! (Although my father used an electric, so I had to mostly work it out on my own -also in the mid 80's. )

I think we ended up with much more abraded faces than today.

19. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Agreed. BTW slicing is not scraping. Period.

BigMark83 likes this.
  20. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Also note, angle is the angle of the blade not the razor or handle. Head geometry and adjustable settings can dramatically change the angle. Using straight razors solidified this for me. There is a certain angle that will result in efficient cutting and minimal irritation when the pressure is right. This changes with each part of your face, and has to be constantly adjusted. I see both of these as different ways to find the angle, not dramatically different techniques.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.