August 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jul 31, 2017.

?

Using an adjustable this month? Which one?

1. Gillette Fatboy

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  4. Gillette Toggle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Gillette Executive

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. Merkur Futur

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  7. Merkur Progress

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  8. Russian Ideal or Mladost

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. The original adjustable - a straight razor baby!

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  10. Cookies....just cookies. Seriously, can we just stick with the stupid cookies?!?!?!

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyX

RyX DoH!

Any food cooked with bacon is great. Did I win?

2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Adjustable (Arko) August!!!

August 17 - Grand Blade Trials

Razor - 1959 (E4) Gillette Fatboy (6)
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Brush - Jayaruh #46
    Post - Alum

What a difference three little clicks on a Fatboy makes. This "generic" Dorco improved at least 50% just with a bit of aggression. Maybe more. Much smoother feel, much more effective but still a bit on the irritating side according to the alum and my face as I sit here now. Still an improvement over last night.

The finish after two passes and touch ups was a nice DFS. Definite improvement but still not the baby that the Prime and Titan pulled off on their second shaves. Hard to complain about that, though, as the baby is always a bonus for me.

The question now is whether or not this blade can take the full gap of the Fatboy on 9. We'll answer that question tomorrow. And, if it improves as much again, I may be tempted to take it to the QShave and give it even more gap to play with.

I bring greetings from @Bama Samurai , who has been noticeably absent the past few days. He send apologies and greetings. He's been working more hours than not due to a shortage of help at work. I'm sure he'll get through that and be back with us shortly.

August 12.jpg

3. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you. It was a gift from my lovely wife

4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

You made another Friday for us

5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Three kids, your a patriot. Great looking kids, did you space them out so you will only pay college tuition one at time? That's what my parents did.

6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Only pay for college one at a time.....Forever.

7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks very much Clint.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks Jim. I have their Timeless soap and 3 others. I like all 4 very much.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great lather shots, Jared.

RyX, clint64, SharptoothC and 3 others like this.
  10. Norcalnewb

Excellent picture, Keith! Sounds like a great shave after some good improvement with the razor.

11. Norcalnewb

She did well! It is a great looking cup.

mrchick, clint64, SharptoothC and 3 others like this.
  12. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Saturday morning August 19 - Sturm und Drang

Soap and water, Bactroban ointment, styptic pencil
    Rockwell 6s on plate #3 / Topaz Platinum ( 2 )
    Supply Provision 26mm silvertip synthetic brush
    TOBS Lavender Cream
    TSD Milk Aftershave - Lavender

I started out my shave today by using my shaving first aid supplies -- on my knee. I was awakened by a lot of hissing and banging at my back screendoor, which I left open to get some cool night air in. A neighborhood cat had dared to look in, and one of my cats was objecting. I made the mistake of walking up to see who Pete was hissing at, and he whirled around and grabbed my leg with both front paws and tried to shred it. Fortunately I cut his claws a couple days ago so he didn't have much to work with, but he still left some decent furrows on the front and back of my knee.

The styptic pencil actually does a decent job of keeping cat scratches from bleeding all over everything too.

I felt I needed a bit of a treat so something other than this week/month's normal soaps and maybe a bit of calming, so something in lavender. I guess I like lavender, because I have at least five almost pure lavender choices and several others with lavender in the scent mix. The TOBS Lavender Cream got the nod.

This cream is lavender coloured in the tub but it whips up a white lather so it isn't staining on cloth at all. A few swirls in the tub loaded the damp synthetic brush to the hilt. For another change, I then decided to face lather today. I didn't add enough water to the brush at first as the lather was thick and pastelike. However, by trickling a bit more onto the bristle tips a couple times, I gradually got the brush to deliver lather of my preferred consistency without flinging it everywhere. The extra bit of massage that comes from the facelather experience was a pleasant change.

After that, it was just my normal two-pass shave. I had forgotten how much residual slickness TOBS provides between latherings and how good its postshave feel is. I skipped the alum today and just went straight to the TSD Milk Aftershave to continue the lavender experience.

And by the time I was done, Pete was rubbing against my legs, purring and all ready to be petted like the nice cat he isn't...

13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good write-up of fine shaving products. Go Riders Go! :happy088:

14. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

No such. When we started trying, number 1 came along almost immediately. We wanted number 2 to be close in age, but after 7 years of trying (and failing) we decided to adopt. As soon as the adoption went through, the ol' baby-making factory decided to kick back in gear, and number 3 was the pleasant surprise.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jtspartan, RyX, Screwtape and 7 others like this.
  15. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I cry a lot over that realization.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

16. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Surprisingly Good Results Yesterday FullSizeRender.jpg
    Yesterday, hoping to make more room for Artisan Shave soaps in my cabinet, I decided to work through some of the inexpensive creams I bought as a newb and never got around to trying so I could confirm their inferiority and pif them to a newb who would enjoy them. Surprise finding - Pacific Shave Cream is really good stuff. Would it be my "go to" for slickness and protection I want when learning on a straight? No, but it was certainly good enough to give me a BBS shave with my slim! It's a keeper.
    I also bought a cheap synthetic on sale from PAA just for the 26mm wood handle. Yesterday's shave proved it to be an outstanding brush in its own right. Another surprise keeper.

17. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I had my girls later in life. My oldest will start college around the age I'm supposed to retire. Awesome. :angry032: I wonder if they can direct deposit my social security checks to the school.

jtspartan, RyX, Screwtape and 8 others like this.
  18. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I have one in school right now. Next year I will have two. Then the oldest is done, and just one for three more. Then OMG, I'm not sure what I will do with myself. Guaranteed I won't be traveling for work anymore.

Keithmax, RyX, Screwtape and 6 others like this.
  19. Fup

Fup Well-Known Member

Well my shaving has dropped off to every couple of days now. The kiddo started kindergarten and now I have to take him to precare before work so his mom can get to work earlier and leave earlier to pick him up from school. Getting up at 5:45 seems to be at my limit so not a whole lot of time for a shave in there.

I did shave yesterday. Broke out the Gillette plus feather and had a wonderful shave. Super smooth and little feedback from the alum.

Not shaving today because sleep in and a 2 hour drive to her parents before lunch time. Maybe I'll take stuff with me to shave tomorrow...

Hope everyone is doing good and happy shaving!

Keithmax, entropy1049, RyX and 9 others like this.
  20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

This morning was the 4th consecutive day for my Stirling Sandpiper. Next up-Aqua Velva. Will try for another 4 for that one. My Stirling Sample order might be here by then(late in the upcoming week). It's already announced as"Shipped".

Keithmax, PLAla, RyX and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.